Six Months into our new Life in Oz

Wikiposts

Six Months into our new Life in Oz

Old May 9th 2005, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Six Months into our new Life in Oz

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
You were very near to us we are just at Keyworth.
The Vale of Belvoir is beautiful especially in spring.
Really nice reading your post and glad to hear that you have adjusted to your new life.Great to hear that its all worth it in the end.
Dreamaway
My best friends Jenny & Marc Green live there. Don't suppose you know them? Make the most of Indian Knights as you won't get a decent curry out here unless you make it yourself!!!!
Old May 9th 2005, 8:36 pm
Shaz

Shazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant futureShazrazmataz has a brilliant future

Thanks for being honest, lovely post, glad that you've settled down to your new life
Old May 9th 2005, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Troood
My best friends Jenny & Marc Green live there. Don't suppose you know them? Make the most of Indian Knights as you won't get a decent curry out here unless you make it yourself!!!!

Hi glad you like were you live, we hope to move to the same area as yourselves as soon as our Visas come through. My sister lives in Mount Eliza and we will be staying with her until we buy a house. We hope to move to either Mornington, Mount Eliza or maybe Frankstone South.
On the subject of food my Sister said she has just had the best curry in 20 years of living in OZ and I think it was a new place opened up in Mount Eliza. Have you tried the little place at the end of Mornington High St, Boys for Brekkie it think it was called, they do awesome breakfasts.

John & Julie
Old May 9th 2005, 9:05 pm
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear that you settled. I've been in Gold Coast for approx a month and although l loved it at first, I am now finding it hard to adapt. Starting to miss UK alot and finding getting work really hard. Bit blue and stuff, ill too - had poisoning off the water 5 times in 3 weeks. But your post has given me hope that I may ajust in time. Thanks for the pick-me-up.
x
Old May 9th 2005, 9:29 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

nice post!! always good to hear how folks are getting on.

Bix da boss - keep the updates coming, they are far from boring!!!!

sue
Old May 9th 2005, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Secretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura aboutSecretsquirral has a spectacular aura about

Hi Trudi,

We lived in Mornington and then Mt Martha for 8 months in 2003 and are heading back in about 6 months time - this time with year old twins!
I remember those feelings so well of nostalgia for old buildings, history etc which you take for granted here in the UK, plus the "people sickness" which is the hardest thing, but its good to hear you are settling in so well and like the area, it is a lovely place to live. Thanks for the updates - keep them up!

Debbie
Old May 9th 2005, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

bell family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Troood
HOWDEEDOODEEDANDIIIIIII Firstly big apologies for being very lame and not frequenting this site as much as I used to when I lived in the UK. I last wrote on here after our first 3 months with an update. It was just after Christmas I think.

Hello to all the old timers that remember me - greetings to all the newer ones who don't!!!!

It's 7am here now and unfortunately I woke up too early. As I can't get back to sleep and my little one is still sleeping soundly I thought I'd log on with another update.

Brief update for those who have no idea who I am! We arrived in Melbourne on the 4th Nov after leaving Notts. We had never been here before. My last post was a bit long winded so I'll try not to waffle on too much. I think I was a lot more emotional in my last script - happy, but missing my nearest and dearest dreadfully.

Six months on - I'm still missing them badly, but I have learnt to accept that those feelings will never change, but you do get used to it. It helps that everyone keeps in touch by phone, email, webcam and wonderful, FREE, Skype....it's nice to know that out of sight doesn't mean out of mind!!

We have loved our time here so far. The weather has been wonderful, although many Australians that I meet say we've had a bad summer! We've enjoyed it and basked in the sunshine. The odd turn in the weather makes a change, but it doesn't get us down. It's nice to know the grass/plants get a bit of water!!

Paul (hubby) is a Carpenter and has steady work with numerous builders. Has had a bit of hassle from one company not paying any of the Trades but thats the only sting in the tail for us so far. He's working full time and has enrolled on a 3 month college course for Domestic Building. He was a builder/carpenter in the UK but over here you need to do this course if you want to be a builder as well as a carpenter. He goes every Friday night and all day Saturday. Means we only get one day a week together but it's a small sacrifice to enable him to broaden his work horizons.

My 3 year old son continues to thrive over here. Apart from getting chicken pox at Kinder he has not suffered any of the coughs/colds and bugs that he seemed to have weekly in the UK. That may change in the winter....we are yet to see. He has a fab life, learning to swim, playing on the beach, bike rides, picnics etc. Glad to say the weather so far hasn't stopped any of these activities.

As for me....well what can I say. I left the rat race when I boarded the flight to Oz. No more 60 hour working weeks for me. Insanely enough I missed the pressure of my job when I first got here and it took me a few months to adjust. Then I went through the "guilts" about not working, earning etc. But now I'm delighted to say that those feelings are a dim and distant memory. I LOVE not working. I'm lucky in that I get a few days to myself a week as our son goes to Kinder part time. He loves it as he gets to be with his friends. I love it as I get to do my own thing. This usually consists of going to the gym, having tennis lessons, walking our dog for miles across beautiful beaches, shopping, meeting friends and when our son isn't at Kinder, making sure he has a good time.

It was Mothers Day here on Sunday and I felt brave enough to watch our leaving party video. I shed a few fat tears, but I didn't break my heart like I thought I would. I loved seeing all my friends and family but I didn't feel like boarding the next flight home to be with them. I just emailed them all and chatted about when they are coming over here to visit. That experience was confirmation to me that this is now my home.

Sometimes I drive through the countryside here and forget that I'm the other side of the world as parts of it remind me of the countryside in the UK.

I recognise the fact that we're lucky and "touch wood" haven't had any bad news from the UK about someone we care for becoming seriously ill. That is a fear that I'm sure most of us carry with us - but I have to live for the day and hope everyone, including us, stays well.

Paul says he wants to stay here forever. I'm truly happy and don't have any desires to return to Blighty at the moment. I can't say forever as that seems to scarey. I like to keep my options open.

Apart from the obvious, the only other thing I miss about the UK are villages and old buildings. I'm shocked that this has happened as I didn't realise how much I loved them until I left. Now, if Inspector Morse or anything like that is on the box, I yearn to see an old cottage or church. Funny what you end up missing when I took it so much from granted when I lived there.

Well, I'm waffling again.....this has turned into another novel. You'll all be at various stages and going through the trials and tribulations of getting your visa's etc, but from our experience all I can say is ITS WORTH IT. We adjusted so much more easily than we expected - but we didn't come over with rose coloured glasses which I think helps.

Good luck to you all and if I can help in anyway - drop me a line.

Time for a cuppa now and vegemite on toast (from an x-marmite lover who has gotten used to it ) xxxx

Nice to read such a story. You have given me inspiration to go forth! What made you pick Vic? We are thinking of Brisbane but would like info on Vic. We have a 21month old and expecting 2nd in nov and hope to be in Oz 2007. Would you say the family life is better than UK? (hubby from Notts, me Scotland) Was it hard adjusting to the life?
Old May 10th 2005, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Ninijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bell family
Nice to read such a story. You have given me inspiration to go forth! What made you pick Vic? We are thinking of Brisbane but would like info on Vic. We have a 21month old and expecting 2nd in nov and hope to be in Oz 2007. Would you say the family life is better than UK? (hubby from Notts, me Scotland) Was it hard adjusting to the life?
What a great thread, big thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with us all. My husband and i will be out in Mel in less than 2 weeks for our validation trip and then plan to emigrate in September (house sale permitting), so reading your story this morning was very inspiring and put a nice big smile on my face. It's all so exciting.

Thanks again!
Janine
Old May 10th 2005, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jond
Hi glad you like were you live, we hope to move to the same area as yourselves as soon as our Visas come through. My sister lives in Mount Eliza and we will be staying with her until we buy a house. We hope to move to either Mornington, Mount Eliza or maybe Frankstone South.
On the subject of food my Sister said she has just had the best curry in 20 years of living in OZ and I think it was a new place opened up in Mount Eliza. Have you tried the little place at the end of Mornington High St, Boys for Brekkie it think it was called, they do awesome breakfasts.

John & Julie
Really? I'll be hitting Mount Eliza soon if thats the case. And YES - lovely breakfasts at Boys for Brekkie. I'm always on the hunt for good places to eat - hence having to go the gym regularly !!!!
Old May 10th 2005, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bell family

Hiya. Being an impatient lot we wanted to get our visa's as quickly as possible - to coincide with our house sale. Having never been here before we opted to go the State Nomination route which committed us to staying in Victoria for 2 years. Thats really why we ended up here. We've been on holiday since to the Sunshine Coast and loved it there. Given the choice I would live in Noosa Head - absolutely gorgeous but expensive. My husband on the other hand said the heat would be too much for him. He initially found it quite draining working through the summer heat in Victoria and reckons therefore he would have died working somewhere hotter with added humidity. He's glad he has been able to acclimatise in Vic therefore.

We were very stressed before we got here - as I'm sure everyone goes through. I was worried that just having each other in a new country so far away from all that is familiar and those that we love, would be too much and it would end up wrecking our marriage. BUT, I still went along with it. And I'm so glad that I did. It had the opposite effect. As we only really had each other we became closer and enjoyed having more time with our little boy. I would say this whole experience has strengthened our relationship and we definitely do more together. Paul loves fishing, so we bought a small boat. As a family we all go out together on that - me to try and ski, our son to float on the doughnut and Paul to fish. In England we had separate interests so that has been a plus for us as a family.

My friends and family ask what I like most about being here and my answer is the people and the weather. I'm amazed at how friendly everyone is so I never really feel like an immigrant. I only have to open my front door and someone will walk past and strike up a conversation. That never happened in the UK.

Good luck again to everyone. Emigrating is a brave thing to do - life is an adventure so it's good to make the most of it and to give new experiences a try.

We are moving house today so I won't be able to log on for a few days but will catch up again soon.

Take care