Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sirs visa and first homeowners grant

Sirs visa and first homeowners grant

Old Mar 5th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Default Sirs visa and first homeowners grant

I was wondering if there was anyone else out there who felt a little hard done bye. After renting for 6 months we did not want to rent for any longer so bought a house. Did not get first time buyers grant as not eligible . Had we been on a permanent visa it would not have been a problem . I have now served my 2 years and have permanent residency.Just seems a little unfair that after being here for 2 years on a visa that was gauranteed providing i met the conditions. Anyone coming in to the country on a permanent visa is eligible straight away and it certainly leaves a bitter taste in my mouth
rant over
Old Mar 5th 2009, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sirs visa and first homeowners grant

Ah yes, I've too found out this week that NSW have slightly changed their rules and 1st time buyers without PR can no longer claim the 1st time buyers grant retrospectively if they then go on to get PR within the same 12 months.

Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Ah yes, I've too found out this week that NSW have slightly changed their rules and 1st time buyers without PR can no longer claim the 1st time buyers grant retrospectively if they then go on to get PR within the same 12 months.

It is totally unfair to sirs visa holders as far as i am concerned
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
It is totally unfair to sirs visa holders as far as i am concerned
Why? You knew coming on a SIR visa that it was temporary and that as a temporary visa holder you were not eligible for certain benefits.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:13 am
ABCDiamond

I was never eligible for it either, and nor where a whole load of Australians who bought houses before the grant came in to being.

Something to be wary of, is talking to Australians about this grant, as many of them think it is totally unfair that a British person, amongst other nationalities, can buy a house in their own country, sell it, move here, and then get a first home owners grant, out of tax payers money.

Yet an Australian, who say owned a house in WA, then moves to QLD, is NOT able to get it.

Not a good talking point at the BBQ

Old Mar 7th 2009, 11:15 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I was never eligible for it either, and nor where a whole load of Australians who bought houses before the grant came in to being.

Something to be wary of, is talking to Australians about this grant, as many of them think it is totally unfair that a British person, amongst other nationalities, can buy a house in their own country, sell it, move here, and then get a first home owners grant, out of tax payers money.

Yet an Australian, who say owned a house in WA, then moves to QLD, is NOT able to get it.

Not a good talking point at the BBQ
I thought I heard something on the radio recently that the WA state gov't was thinking of only giving the grant on properties worth less than $750k. I could be talking out of my ass - it's been known to happen - but I was sure I heard it.