Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SIR Visas.....who got one and under what circumstances?

SIR Visas.....who got one and under what circumstances?

Old Dec 27th 2005, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default SIR Visas.....who got one and under what circumstances?

Hi Guys,

Still not given up on Oz despite the relies turning us down for sponsorship.

So...that may leave the State & Regional sponsorship option.
I have discoved that ALL of South Australia has 'regional' status so perhaps it will be 'Adelaide here we come'.

How many others out there managed to go this route and how difficult was it for you to get it?

Steve J.
Old Dec 27th 2005, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all
Talking Re: SIR Visas.....who got one and under what circumstances?

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Hi Guys,

I have discoved that ALL of South Australia has 'regional' status so perhaps it will be 'Adelaide here we come'.

How many others out there managed to go this route and how difficult was it for you to get it?

Steve J.

hi
we have this type of visa and are moving to victoria, it took us around ten months, but we ad an agent who did all the hard work, we just paid the money. we have our flights booked fr the 8th of feb

toni
Old Dec 27th 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIR Visas.....who got one and under what circumstances?

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
Hi Guys,

Steve J.
Hi Steve

We got our SIR in November. We don't plan to go until June/July.

Ours was relatively easy. We got our TRA in Aug 2004 and at the time had hit a hurdle and meant that our application was put on hold.

Then when DIMIA annouced an extra 10 points for SIR it was all systems go. We applied for SIR sponsorship from South Australia in April. This was granted within 4 days and we waited until July 1st before we could send our visa application in.

We eventually sorted out our application and submitted it on 9th August. We applied online and sent our docs in. We decided to do it ourselves as ours was very straight forward.

We had our meds on the 28th September and got our grant on 8th November.

Apart from the hiccups at the early stage of our application once we applied for sponsorship and then the visa it was all pretty easy.

It was just the all the waiting that was a pain.

Good luck

Graham
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

shorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud of

Hi Steve J,

We only had 110 points so had to go by SIR. We wanted to go to Adelaide anyway.

See below how easy it is, so long as you have got the skills they want.

Shorty
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:57 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

What worries me about the SIR is what happens if you havent found employment in your field in that time and are working in another trade which is quite possible and at the end of the visa period, if your over 44 as well?

I wonder how secure it is?

We have looked into this route but for the above concerns, have thought again.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 9:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
What worries me about the SIR is what happens if you havent found employment in your field in that time and are working in another trade which is quite possible and at the end of the visa period, if your over 44 as well?

I wonder how secure it is?

We have looked into this route but for the above concerns, have thought again.

DIMIA will waive the age limit of 44 for SIR holders applying for an STNI visa.

As far as DIMIA are concerned, the STNI criteria are quite flexible for SIR visa holders. The real question mark is over the need for state sponsorship to get STNI - it's not clear what the attitude of the states will be to SIR holders who settle in their state but can only find unskilled or semi-skilled work.

Different states will have different rules on this. Apparently, NSW won't be sponsoring anyone for STNI.

If the states refuse to sponsor SIR visa holders for STNI, then they will be in a mess unless they can get employer sponsorship.

The picture should be clearer in about 18-24 months from now.

Jeremy
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 9:04 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
DIMIA will waive the age limit of 44 for SIR holders applying for an STNI visa.

As far as DIMIA are concerned, the STNI criteria are quite flexible for SIR visa holders. The real question mark is over the need for state sponsorship to get STNI - it's not clear what the attitude of the states will be to SIR holders who settle in their state but can only find unskilled or semi-skilled work.

Different states will have different rules on this. Apparently, NSW won't be sponsoring anyone for STNI.

If the states refuse to sponsor SIR visa holders for STNI, then they will be in a mess unless they can get employer sponsorship.

The picture should be clearer in about 18-24 months from now.

Jeremy

Thanks for that Jeremy. Does make me wonder if they really thought out the SIR visa.

We will more than likely go for STNI unless hubby resits his IELTS to get his points from a 6 to 6.5 to give us more choice.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that Jeremy. Does make me wonder if they really thought out the SIR visa.

We will more than likely go for STNI unless hubby resits his IELTS to get his points from a 6 to 6.5 to give us more choice.

Hi
we are on SIR visa and have now been here for 11 months. I am working in a skilled profession, on the SOL, although it isnt the job that my TRA code was on. The SA government have said as long as you work in a skilled profession on the SOL list. They arnt bothered.
So in 13 months we will see if we get the STNI sponsorship. I have no doubts that as long as you abide by the conditions of ther visa you will get the sponsorship. What would be the point in bringing people in to work only to tell them 2 years later sorry mate we dont want you. That would cause so much bad press especially with internet media etc. and completely reverse what the government are trying to do. We have had a lot of contact with the SA government and done some publicity for the SIR visa and generally coming to South Australia, they are fully aware of our situation and said we are ok. At the end of the day we had no other choice but to take the SIR visa option to realise our dream and we have been happy with the speed our visa was dealt with and all the support that we have had from the SA Government both before and on arrival. We have bought a house, and are having another built and are well happy.
The choice can only be yours

Nick
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by nickos12
Hi
we are on SIR visa and have now been here for 11 months. I am working in a skilled profession, on the SOL, although it isnt the job that my TRA code was on. The SA government have said as long as you work in a skilled profession on the SOL list. They arnt bothered.
So in 13 months we will see if we get the STNI sponsorship. I have no doubts that as long as you abide by the conditions of ther visa you will get the sponsorship. What would be the point in bringing people in to work only to tell them 2 years later sorry mate we dont want you. That would cause so much bad press especially with internet media etc. and completely reverse what the government are trying to do. We have had a lot of contact with the SA government and done some publicity for the SIR visa and generally coming to South Australia, they are fully aware of our situation and said we are ok. At the end of the day we had no other choice but to take the SIR visa option to realise our dream and we have been happy with the speed our visa was dealt with and all the support that we have had from the SA Government both before and on arrival. We have bought a house, and are having another built and are well happy.
The choice can only be yours

Nick
Trouble is Nick is that my husband can only be a chef/cook which is on the sol list. He could take an unskilled job, but as far ask on the skilled list, thats the only thing he can do.

I reckon he might resit in Feb and see what happens. At least he has a 6 in English which can get him STNI.

Funny though, on his English certificate it says 'competant english speaker' but DIMIA dont deem a 6 the same as IELTS do.

Another 88 pounds to shell out.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Trouble is Nick is that my husband can only be a chef/cook which is on the sol list. He could take an unskilled job, but as far ask on the skilled list, thats the only thing he can do.

I reckon he might resit in Feb and see what happens. At least he has a 6 in English which can get him STNI.

Funny though, on his English certificate it says 'competant english speaker' but DIMIA dont deem a 6 the same as IELTS do.

Another 88 pounds to shell out.
Professional princess,
There are absolutely loads of jobs for chef/cooks here in SA. In fact my wife has turned down jobs(she is a chef) because of child care etc. Anyway Chef is on the STNI listing if you need to go that way but if you go SIR instead of waiting for another IELTS test you will have no problems of employment in the chef/cook field. They are advertised every day(LOADS)
and it is on the SOL list so u will have no probs
Hope u can make it soon
Nick
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by nickos12
Professional princess,
There are absolutely loads of jobs for chef/cooks here in SA. In fact my wife has turned down jobs(she is a chef) because of child care etc. Anyway Chef is on the STNI listing if you need to go that way but if you go SIR instead of waiting for another IELTS test you will have no problems of employment in the chef/cook field. They are advertised every day(LOADS)
and it is on the SOL list so u will have no probs
Hope u can make it soon
Nick

Thanks for that nick

will try to karma you,
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that nick

will try to karma you,
no probs if you need any other advice on this particular visa just ask
heres hoping for you
Nick