Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SIR Visa is it really worth the risk ??

SIR Visa is it really worth the risk ??

Old Sep 30th 2005, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

the woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant future
Default SIR Visa is it really worth the risk ??

Dear All,

After applying to migrate unsuccessfully a few years ago, I recently resubmitted my skills application to AIM and was delighted when it was positively passed recently. Moving on with the full application I now discover that I have 115 points and am subsequently 5 short for a permanent visa. One of the few options open to us is the SIR temp visa, however according to our migration agent, the restrictions state that you basically have to live and work in certain areas outside the main metropolis. To compound this she has also suggested that we should consider South Australia and Victoria as first choices as they will be more inclined to grant a permanent residency. We were considering Brisbane or Perth as our chosen destination.
I work as a Sales Director and although optimistic of finding work in the cities, I am seriously concerned that I will not find a job if I am restricted to working outside the main CBD's.
Has anyone taken the SIR route successfully ? I would be really interested to read your experiences both positive and negative. Just want to get as much info together before we uproot the kids

Thanks
Old Sep 30th 2005, 5:50 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIR Visa is it really worth the risk ??

Originally Posted by the woodys
Dear All,

After applying to migrate unsuccessfully a few years ago, I recently resubmitted my skills application to AIM and was delighted when it was positively passed recently. Moving on with the full application I now discover that I have 115 points and am subsequently 5 short for a permanent visa. One of the few options open to us is the SIR temp visa, however according to our migration agent, the restrictions state that you basically have to live and work in certain areas outside the main metropolis. To compound this she has also suggested that we should consider South Australia and Victoria as first choices as they will be more inclined to grant a permanent residency. We were considering Brisbane or Perth as our chosen destination.
I work as a Sales Director and although optimistic of finding work in the cities, I am seriously concerned that I will not find a job if I am restricted to working outside the main CBD's.
Has anyone taken the SIR route successfully ? I would be really interested to read your experiences both positive and negative. Just want to get as much info together before we uproot the kids

Thanks

hello strangers

Cant you pay the bond thing for the extra points?

good Luck

Kris xx
Old Sep 30th 2005, 5:52 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kris maynard
hello strangers

Cant you pay the bond thing for the extra points?

good Luck

Kris xx
Another option might be for one of you to go and study that way the other one is entitled to work. Might buy you time to get an employer to sponsor you.

Good luck.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

the woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant futurethe woodys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by herrchook
Another option might be for one of you to go and study that way the other one is entitled to work. Might buy you time to get an employer to sponsor you.

Good luck.
Hi Kris,

You must live on this site !!

Thanks for the info, 115 already includes the bond, I'll check out the studying option. Really would prefer to go as permanent.
Old Sep 30th 2005, 6:04 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kris,

Thanks for the info, 115 already includes the bond, I'll check out the studying option. Really would prefer to go as permanent.

yep have secret hide away!!

Bummer about points though!!
Hope you find a way!!

kris xx
Old Oct 1st 2005, 2:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kris,

Studying is expensive and guarantees nothing in itself (as many have found out the hard way).

Your options are:

1. Find an Australian employer to sponsor you for ENS or RSMS. These visas are not points tested, although they have their own requirements.

2. See if you can get an STNI nomination from a participating state (SA, WA, Victoria or Tasmania).

3. You can live in Adelaide on a SIR visa. That's the largest city by far that's within the scope of this visa. There are relatively few professional/managerial jobs there, but you should look into this in more detail. Tasmania may be another option.
Only consider SIR if you know the STNI or ENS/RSMS visas cannot work for you.

4. Can you use spouse skills to get an extra 5 points?

5. Consider alternatives to Australia. Is New Zealand an option? Or Canada? (although waiting lists for Canada are very long at the moment).

Jeremy
Old Oct 1st 2005, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

We were in a similar position when we went to the Expo last year. There we talked to a few agencies who seemed to think there were ways of getting around the problem by applying on the Adelaide argument and then going elsewhere.

We didn't have to pursue this so I don't know the truth of it but if you haven't already seen an agent it seems worth the discussion just to check all possibilities.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 10:41 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flip
We were in a similar position when we went to the Expo last year. There we talked to a few agencies who seemed to think there were ways of getting around the problem by applying on the Adelaide argument and then going elsewhere.
If you do that on a SIR visa you won't get permanent residence after a few years and you will likely have to go home.

Jeremy
Old Oct 1st 2005, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you do that on a SIR visa you won't get permanent residence after a few years and you will likely have to go home.

Jeremy
Thanks for sorting me out.
Old Oct 1st 2005, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
We came to Adelaide on SIR 9 months ago and I wouldnt consider it a risk, we bought a house within 3 days, got good jobs, I am a training consultant, kids in good schools. There were loads of jobs in the paper today for managerial positions. Have a look at careerone.com.au
Only15 months to go to PR

Nick
Old Oct 1st 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nickos12
Hi,
We came to Adelaide on SIR 9 months ago and I wouldnt consider it a risk, we bought a house within 3 days, got good jobs, I am a training consultant, kids in good schools. There were loads of jobs in the paper today for managerial positions. Have a look at careerone.com.au
Only15 months to go to PR

Nick
Nice to hear a success story, thanks for your positive reply. Do you mind if I ask a few questions,

1) Was Adelaide your chosen destination anyway or was the SIR visa the main factor in your decision ?

2) Have you changed career since you arrived?

3) What sort of age are your kids

4) Did you see many other cities before deciding to settle on Adelaide, if so how do they compare in your opinion ?

Thanks for your advice
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Nice to hear a success story, thanks for your positive reply. Do you mind if I ask a few questions,

1) Was Adelaide your chosen destination anyway or was the SIR visa the main factor in your decision ?

2) Have you changed career since you arrived?

3) What sort of age are your kids

4) Did you see many other cities before deciding to settle on Adelaide, if so how do they compare in your opinion ?

Thanks for your advice
Hi the woodys

No Adelaide wasnt our choosen destination, it was because of SIR, However we really like it here and are now settled and will stay.

Yes I was a weapons technician in the Air Force for 25 years. (I spent the last 7 years teaching at the Defence college of Aeronautical Engineering) Hence I was more drawn to and had qualifications in training. I am now a training consultant with a national company.

My children are 7 and 9

Yes we went all over Australia 3 years ago. Sydney was a huge bustling city,
Brisbane much the same but obviously better weather, Perth was nice, Melbourne very cosmopolitan. Adelaide is a very small city and very easy to get around. we live in the southern suburbs. 10 mins to beach, 25 mins to city etc. Very Happy.

As long as you comply with the visa conditions, ie work for 12 months in 2 year period, it is unlikely that you will not get PR. South Australia is on a big recruitment drive at the momment.
Dont forget there are other places you can go on SIR (just not the big cities)

We were in a similar position to you, not enough points, and were grateful we could get into Oz via the SIR so we could live the dream and are having a great time

Nick
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Hi the woodys

No Adelaide wasnt our choosen destination, it was because of SIR, However we really like it here and are now settled and will stay.

Yes I was a weapons technician in the Air Force for 25 years. (I spent the last 7 years teaching at the Defence college of Aeronautical Engineering) Hence I was more drawn to and had qualifications in training. I am now a training consultant with a national company.

My children are 7 and 9

Yes we went all over Australia 3 years ago. Sydney was a huge bustling city,
Brisbane much the same but obviously better weather, Perth was nice, Melbourne very cosmopolitan. Adelaide is a very small city and very easy to get around. we live in the southern suburbs. 10 mins to beach, 25 mins to city etc. Very Happy.

As long as you comply with the visa conditions, ie work for 12 months in 2 year period, it is unlikely that you will not get PR. South Australia is on a big recruitment drive at the momment.
Dont forget there are other places you can go on SIR (just not the big cities)

We were in a similar position to you, not enough points, and were grateful we could get into Oz via the SIR so we could live the dream and are having a great time

Nick

Hi Nick

Really appreciate your advice on this issue. There is certainly some comfort in reading a SIR success story, I began to think it could be a lost cause, the risks seemed to outweigh the positives. Adelaide will certainly now be a stong consideration for us. I have heard from several sources that it is a lovely city, however on the downside I also heard that the employment prospects were somewhat limited and that the city had an older demographic. Hopefully we can now afford to be a little more optimistic about our prospects.
I think I will attend the expo here in London this month and take things from there. Maybe I will also take two weeks to do a reckie of the city at some point early in the new year, I will explore some of the other visa options that have been mentioned in this post, maybe we can enhance our position somehow.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to reply ,very best wishes, hope you continue to enjoy your new life down under

Dave Jo
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Hi Nick

Really appreciate your advice on this issue. There is certainly some comfort in reading a SIR success story, I began to think it could be a lost cause, the risks seemed to outweigh the positives. Adelaide will certainly now be a stong consideration for us. I have heard from several sources that it is a lovely city, however on the downside I also heard that the employment prospects were somewhat limited and that the city had an older demographic. Hopefully we can now afford to be a little more optimistic about our prospects.
I think I will attend the expo here in London this month and take things from there. Maybe I will also take two weeks to do a reckie of the city at some point early in the new year, I will explore some of the other visa options that have been mentioned in this post, maybe we can enhance our position somehow.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to reply ,very best wishes, hope you continue to enjoy your new life down under

Dave Jo

Dave,
I wouldnt be put off about any non chances of employment out here.
There were loads of managerial positions etc in yesterdays paper.
You just have to apply for loads as sometimes you get replies and sometimes not, I even had a phone call 4 months after applying for one job to ask me to go for interview.
Hope this helps you in a search for a new life
Nick
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

shorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud of

Dave,
I wouldnt be put off about any non chances of employment out here.
There were loads of managerial positions etc in yesterdays paper.
You just have to apply for loads as sometimes you get replies and sometimes not, I even had a phone call 4 months after applying for one job to ask me to go for interview.
Hope this helps you in a search for a new life
Nick

Hi,

I have just read you posts and am very glad you like Adelaide. We chose Adelaide before we found out we would have to have SIR.

Was the house that you bought a new build or did you have to get permission to buy one.

We are coming to Adelaide sometime in 2006 (dependant on house sale) and are thinking of settleing in Hallett Cove where a friend of ours lives. Where do you live?
Would you mind if I contacted you again with SIR questions. I can't seem to find very many people who have already got there on it.

Thanks

Joanne