Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SIR Visa - Medicare

SIR Visa - Medicare

Old Jun 1st 2005, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice
Default SIR Visa - Medicare

Hi

Wondered if anyone who was already in Oz on SIR Visa could let me know how they've got on with Medicare.

I know that we'll be covered for treatment that is 'immediately necessary' as the UK has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia, but I can't find anywhere that goes into things in more detail.

In particular, if I were to get pregnant after moving, would this be classed as treatment that was 'immediately necessary' (it would in my book !).

Thanks
Judy
Old Jun 1st 2005, 10:34 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: SIR Visa - Medicare

Originally Posted by Judes2308
Hi

Wondered if anyone who was already in Oz on SIR Visa could let me know how they've got on with Medicare.

I know that we'll be covered for treatment that is 'immediately necessary' as the UK has a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia, but I can't find anywhere that goes into things in more detail.

In particular, if I were to get pregnant after moving, would this be classed as treatment that was 'immediately necessary' (it would in my book !).

Thanks
Judy
Judy

I think you will find you have to have your own private medical insurance.
Do a google search on "SIR Visa - Medicare "

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Thanks ABC

I emailed Medicare direct and they've given me a link to some more infomation (which is still a bit vague !) but seems like any treatment 'immediately necessary' is covered through the RHCA (suppose you can argue what is 'immediately necessary !).

Also, they confirmed that pregnancy is covered through Medicare as long as you're in a public hospital, so this is good news for us.

Judy
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Hi

Thanks
Judy

hello judy

we to are moving to geelong in oct on a sir visa, how scary is that.

toni :scared:
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

It's not scary......it's comforting !!

How you getting on with all the arrangements? We're finding it a bit early to do a lot of things, but knowing how much we have to do we're getting a bit agitated !!

Judy
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Hi

It's not scary......it's comforting !!

How you getting on with all the arrangements? We're finding it a bit early to do a lot of things, but knowing how much we have to do we're getting a bit agitated !!

Judy
we seem to be doing okay we have just put the house on the market, we hope to sell quickly and move into my inlaws. we have two girls aged 5 and 8 so i have contacted a couple of school and also look into prices of renting. what are you planning to do there, im not planning to work, (hubby will have to work extra hard he he ) how have you sorted it out by yourselfs or through an agent

toni
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

We just renting out our house here, so will have to starting thinking about sorting that soon, but at least we don't have the worry of a house sale. We'll be renting over there aswell so have been looking at the various websites to see what we can get for our money.

Husband is a roof slater by trade, so that's what he'll be doing. I'm not really fussed what I do, maybe will just temp for a while. Would love to be a lady of leisure but Ronnie didn't buy into that idea !

It'll be really exciting for your little girls !

Judy
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

We just renting out our house here, so will have to starting thinking about sorting that soon, but at least we don't have the worry of a house sale. We'll be renting over there aswell so have been looking at the various websites to see what we can get for our money.

Husband is a roof slater by trade, so that's what he'll be doing. I'm not really fussed what I do, maybe will just temp for a while. Would love to be a lady of leisure but Ronnie didn't buy into that idea !

It'll be really exciting for your little girls !

Judy

it is exciting for us all, my hubby is a plumber/gas fitter. have you gaot family in geelong we have never been before

toni
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Nope, no family over there (well distant relatives in Gold Coast) and never been to Geelong although we have been to Australia on holiday.

One day we think 'oh my god what are we doing' and the next we can't wait !
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Nope, no family over there (well distant relatives in Gold Coast) and never been to Geelong although we have been to Australia on holiday.

One day we think 'oh my god what are we doing' and the next we can't wait !

snap, we will have to keep in touch

toni
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

Yes definitely. Off home now but maybe next week I'll try and figure out that PM thing !

Judy
Old Jun 8th 2005, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda5 will become famous soon enoughAmanda5 will become famous soon enough

Excellent-another person heading for Geelong! Where abouts are you looking to settle?

Been looking into the Medicare thing and seems to be hints that they may give us SIR visa peeps cover,but do not think its confirmed.Think this visa class evolves daily!
Old Jun 9th 2005, 12:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amanda5
Been looking into the Medicare thing and seems to be hints that they may give us SIR visa peeps cover,but do not think its confirmed.Think this visa class evolves daily!
Not that I've heard of. There may be reciprocal health cover available if you are from the UK but it will be limited.

Once you *apply* for the PR visa you will be able to fully access Medicare.

Jeremy
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amanda5
Excellent-another person heading for Geelong! Where abouts are you looking to settle?

Hi Amanda

Yes, think there's quite a few of us heading to Geelong on SIR (next best thing to Melbourne I suppose !).

Have you got your visa yet? When are you heading over?

Not sure where in Geelong we're going to settle. Planning on spending a few weeks when we get there in a holiday park so we can research the different areas and see what we fancy.

Judy
Old Jun 9th 2005, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by g-man
snap, we will have to keep in touch

toni
Toni

Tried to send you a PM (or maybe it was an email) the other day. Did you get it ?

New to all this !

Judy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.