Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SIR visa - how many going this way

SIR visa - how many going this way

Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud ofmickagnew has much to be proud of
Default SIR visa - how many going this way

Hi all

Beginning to get a bit worried that the SIR visa may not be at all flexible
ie do you still have to stay in the area designated after the initial 2 year period and is the permanent residency an RSMS visa. Anybody shed any light?

In anticipation

Mick
Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: SIR visa - how many going this way

Originally Posted by mickagnew
Hi all

ie do you still have to stay in the area designated after the initial 2 year period and is the permanent residency an RSMS visa. Anybody shed any light?

In anticipation

Mick

Hi Mick,

After the initial two year period, if you gain P.R. (either through STNI or RSMS) you can go where you like...what the govt. hopes (I think), is that by that time you will have settled into that area i.e. housing, jobs, schools etc.
We're off in just over two weeks time on the SIR Visa.

Cheers

BB
Old Sep 7th 2005, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond reputeteejay66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIR visa - how many going this way

Originally Posted by mickagnew
Hi all

In anticipation

Mick
We are hoping to go on the SIR, I have to agree with you hearing some scary things about it to. Our agent tells us that you have to stay in the area for 3 years but not sure if thats whilst the visa is temp or after you have been granted a permanent visa. To be honest we want to go whatever the circumstances.

Tracey
Old Sep 7th 2005, 6:09 pm
Just Joined

clotje is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm hoping to go on a SIR visa as well. As luck has it I'd like to go to Adelaide so I wouldn't be bothered if I had to stay there longer than 2 years. Wouldn't want to be in Sydney. Too crowded.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 6:22 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clotje
I'm hoping to go on a SIR visa as well. As luck has it I'd like to go to Adelaide so I wouldn't be bothered if I had to stay there longer than 2 years. Wouldn't want to be in Sydney. Too crowded.

We are also going to Adelaide on a SIR Visa. You have to stay in your designated area for 2 years, and for the final year you can go anywhere. If you intend to apply for PR after 3 years you must be able to provide evidence to DIMIA that you have adhered to all the rules.

HTH

Lucy