Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SIR Visa - Baggage Allowance

SIR Visa - Baggage Allowance

Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice
Default SIR Visa - Baggage Allowance

I know there are already heaps of posts about baggage allowance, but I wonder if anyone who specifically has a SIR Visa can help me.

I've been told by travel agents, and Singapore Airlines direct, that the free double baggage allowance only counts for permanent migrants, and if it doesn't say this on your visa you don't get it (or might get an additional 5kg). I've pointed out that this visa, although only for 3 years, leads to a permanent visa and therefore this is the only trip with heaps of baggage we'll be making, but it hasn't helped.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks
Judy
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 12:34 pm
experienced member

Lordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud of
Default Re: SIR Visa - Baggage Allowance

Good Grief Penfold!!! - I've just been granted an SIR Visa - Hadn't contemplated this being an issue! Does everything have to be a hassle??

Another battle to be prepared for when I book my flight!!!!

Thanks for raising this issue!

Jamie
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:14 pm
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Hiya

We are going to Adelaide (SIR) next month with Singapore..and although theyve verbally ok'd it, Im going to travel light anyway as I think its gonna be pot luck. We fly Glasgow to London initially with all baggage going straight through (the Glasgow flight have allowed us extra kilos) so im gonnae pack a bit more.. but not gonna push it by using 40kg coz I can see me trying to get on the plane wearing 5 jackets, 3x trousers, 7 tops and a pair of shoes on my hands

If you have kids.. I can see the problem needing 40Kg

p.s: Where ya going??

Karen
Old Mar 3rd 2005, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Hi Karen

I'm pleading my case with Singapore Airlines just now by email so we'll see. The problem is I don't have a clue how much our stuff will weigh. We're going to try and travel light (no kids) but even then I anticipate we'll have heaps more than a usual holiday, and I've heard if you do get stung for excess baggage it can be about £25 per kilo........yikes !!

We're from Aberdeen, so having to fly to London aswell. Did think about driving to Glasgow and flying Emirates but will just add more hassle.

Heading to Geelong, near Melbourne. Not til early October but want to get as much sorted now as we can.

Judy

PS. Agree Jamie.....another hassle you can do without !
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:18 am
experienced member

Lordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud ofLordhorrace has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Judes2308]Hi Karen

I'm pleading my case with Singapore Airlines just now by email so we'll see. The problem is I don't have a clue how much our stuff will weigh. We're going to try and travel light (no kids) but even then I anticipate we'll have heaps more than a usual holiday, and I've heard if you do get stung for excess baggage it can be about £25 per kilo........yikes !!

We're from Aberdeen, so having to fly to London aswell. Did think about driving to Glasgow and flying Emirates but will just add more hassle.

Heading to Geelong, near Melbourne. Not til early October but want to get as much sorted now as we can.

Judy

All the Best Judy - Let us know how you get on! I'm doing my house up... (still) before I put it on the market (yikes) then I'll start booking a flight! So it will be good to hear how others manage with this baggage issue! Still I guess we're guinea pigs with this relatively new Visa!!

Cheers Jamie

Old Mar 11th 2005, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Just to let you know I eventually got email confirmation from Singapore Airlines that they would give us 35kg each baggage allowance on our SIR Visa. They originally said no, only 20kg, but after I pointed out that this visa will lead to a permanent visa therefore this will be our only trip with excess baggage they relented.

I've just to email the booking reference and they'll add the authorisation to our booking.

Judy
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda5 will become famous soon enoughAmanda5 will become famous soon enough

Hi,we are applying under the SIR scheme and also heading for Geelong.Have the envelope ready! Are there any tips you can give us? How long did your s take? I understand they are getting priorised processing,but great to hear from you guys that have been through the process-also let us know about Geelong,when you get there!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Amanda

Probably started the SIR Application in September last year (husband already had his skills assessed by TRA). Got medical requests in October which were sent away 12 November........and then visa's granted at the beginning of Jan 2005........so not long at all !!

We're not actually going til October. We wanted to go to Melbourne, but with SIR Geelong seemed the next biggest place, and only an hour away from Mel. We've been to Oz before, but not to Victoria.

When are you planning on going, subject to the visa being granted quickly?

Good Luck !

Judy
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Hi,planning to go as soon as visa granted[fingers crossed] although we do have a property to sell.Its on the market,we would sell anyway visa or not.

Good to hear the SIR are being processed quickly,we have been told they are prioritised but you never really know.

Have you got everything organised-how are you transfering your money,heard a couple of ways but all experiences appreciated.

Catch up soon.With all these 'Pommies' heading for Geelong,will have to keep in contact when we are there and have meet ups!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

You'll maybe be there before us then !

Haven't really done much apart from book our flights. Done a lot of research though, and have a list as long as my arm of stuff to do when the time comes. We're just renting out our house here, and will rent over there aswell.

Re money transfer, I think I'm just going to open an account with Commonwealth Bank (check out www.migrantbanking.co.uk for info) which they will do prior to your leaving for Oz, and they'll hold cash in London branch until you're ready to transfer to your local branch in Oz. Should be competitive rates, and although a lot of people mention other ways of doing it I think we're going to have enough on our plates without worrying about a few pounds so this seems the easiest option.

You should have a look at the forum for Victoria (http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics)...........not as much traffic as this one but really nice friendly people. I think they organise regular meets in Melbourne but we can start our own Geelong branch !

Judy
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: SIR Visa - Baggage Allowance

Thanks for the sites-have checked them out already.

Its a long wait but worth while in the end! To read the posts from all out there already makes me want to go now! Only just starting process so prob not out before you! Alot depends on the sale of the house-if visa comes through and we have sold we will be off within weeks[of getting visa].

Have you got any children-we have three boys[6,9 and 10].We have involved them on our exciting adventure,so they know whats going on.

Catch up soon,
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

We didn't find this site until after we'd got our visa.......would have been helpful beforehand !

We seem to alternate between days of saying 'can't wait to get out there' to 'oh my god what are we doing', but again this site is great as loads of others are going through the same feelings, family reactions etc.

No kids as yet, we'll see what happens in Oz (didn't want to complicate the visa process !). Just husband Ronnie.........39 going on 13 most of the time !

Your boys will have a great time by the sounds of it.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

My hubbie 36 going on 7 !! Mind you we all went to Euro Disney in March and all the adults were bigger kids than the atctual children.

What do you and your husband do?-work wise?

Were both Area Managers-sales,although im in the beauty bus,[hairdressing on c.v but from years ago,was applying under STNI at one piont,but my qualifications are very much out of date.Reccomended the SIR via Skilled Migration Unit in Melbourne.which we recieved endoresment end of last year.Im trying to clear up a major issue-they did not ask us to have skills assessed as were going out under 2222-79,technical sales rep,this isnt regulated in Victoria,however dont want to send visa app to adelaide only to have it refused as no TRA.When I asked origianally I was told not needed as had scored over 110 points!Ive sent emails today to clarify-just when I thought the envelope was ready!

How did you send you docs to adelaide-or did you use an agent?

Loads of questions-could eb on here all day,shame about things like housework and cooking!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

My husband works offshore at the moment (oil industry) but is a roof slater by trade and this is what he'll be doing in Oz. I'm a portfolio manager for an investment company (stocks and shares etc) but won't be sad to leave the job behind (will be sad to leave the people) and am not really fussed what I do over there..........office work probably. Hoping to be a lady of leisure for a couple of months anyway !

Can't give much advice on the skills assessment, other than to say we had over 110 points aswell but it was still required for our application. Worth checking as you say before sending stuff away.

We just did everything ourselves, so sent everything by registered mail. Seemed pretty straightforward as long as you were good at form-filling so rather the money stayed in my pocket than an agents.

Hope you get the answer you want.

Judy
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Judy,

I will be taking some time off as well,will have alot of sorting out to do-schooling etc.

I have looked at booklet 8 re TRA,seems if a occupation is regulated by a state then TRA needed,as we are both Sales Rep-dont need specific qualifications for that.The Melbourne Migration unit told us to submit visa app asap with no referal for assessment.Im still double checking though! Eagerly await the morning emails! DIMIA can take days though,but have a good contact in Melbourne.Fingers crossed for a reply[good one] tomorrow.

What airline are you going with? Heard Singapore one of the best??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.