Wikiposts

Sir Joh is dead

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:46 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Sir Joh is dead

Originally Posted by JAJ
For those who didn't know about him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joh_Bjelke-Petersen

His most significant legacy has been the economic development of Queensland. Politically, his actions in the later period of his time in government helped entrench Labor as the natural party of state government in Queensland. Whether intentionally or otherwise.

He helped to force the 1975 federal election (which led to Labor being thrown out of office federally), but not to be outdone in 1987 derailed the Prime Ministerial ambitions of then Opposition Leader John Howard.

It seems that by his birthplace he was a Kiwi, at least technically.

Jeremy
Fascinating stuff.... I see that he was born in Dannevirke (notable IME for having the worst cafe in the Southern Hemisphere And I mean WORST - be warned.).

Is that the National Party that harbored Pauline Hansen recently?

Ironic, from reading the write-up, to hear that his knighthood was granted for 'services to democracy'...

Anya.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:49 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Wether he was a good guy or a bad guy, as Jeremy said he brought hell of alot of development & economic prosperity to Qld.

to him.
Mrs D, would you say he was a bit like the QLD equiv of, say, the UK's Maggie Thatcher, maybe?

What a fascinating, larger than life guy, though - do you think they will make a movie of his life story - and who should star as him?

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 3:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz

Is that the National Party that harbored Pauline Hansen recently?
Are you confusing the National Party with One Nation?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Hanson

Ms Hanson was a Liberal (coalition partner of the Nationals) candidate for the seat of Oxley in suburban Brisbane when she was disendorsed by the Liberals for making certain remarks in the the 1996 election campaign. She won as an independent.

Ironic, from reading the write-up, to hear that his knighthood was granted for 'services to democracy'...
And under a federal Labor government too.

Jeremy
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Mrs D, would you say he was a bit like the QLD equiv of, say, the UK's Maggie Thatcher, maybe? .
When I read about him breaking the power of the Union, and the power workers strikes,thats exactly what I began to think

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs D, would you say he was a bit like the QLD equiv of, say, the UK's Maggie Thatcher, maybe?

What a fascinating, larger than life guy, though - do you think they will make a movie of his life story - and who should star as him?

Cheers,
Anya.
Ummm, if I likened someone that I thought did alot of political good in his career with Maggie Thatcher, I'd end up divorced Anya :scared: . Can't I just do the History O-level question?

As for the movie, like most political dramas it may not make totally rivetting viewing & Im not sure who they could get to say "dont you worry about that" without bursting out laughing.

What about Hugh Jackman? Or Heath Ledger? At least give the women something to drool over though the heavy dialogue?
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 5:09 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Whether he was a good guy or a bad guy, as Jeremy said he brought hell of alot of development & economic prosperity to Qld.

to him.
HE also brought a "hell of a lot of distruction" to Queenslands eco-system, ......... mm
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 5:27 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
HE also brought a "hell of a lot of distruction" to Queenslands eco-system, ......... mm
To think he could have destroyed the Daintree. Luckily the federal government intervened and declared the area a World Heritage Zone.

The comparisons with Maggie seem very apt.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 5:30 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
Haven't been to Qld snce 1987 then MM?
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 5:38 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bondipom
The comparisons with Maggie seem very apt.
Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

I was just about to post a thread here, asking the Aussies on this forum if they rated him 'saint or sinner'.

As a relatively new immigrant, I'd not heard of him until about a week ago, & have heard a number of contradictory media reports. He certainly sounds like a colorful character....

So: Good guy? Bad guy? What do you all think - and why?

Cheers,
Anya.
With all the recent news reports on him, Mr L and I have both been trying to work out the whole 'saint' or 'sinner' theory. The news reports seemed to tell it like it is, including the major inquiry into him and his cohorts. I understand that it was a hung jury, but I get the feeling that a lot of people do believe he was crooked/bent whatever you wish to call it. So how come his name doesn't seem to be tarnished, or disgraced? Is it simply because he wasn't actually found guilty?

Excuse my ignorance, but just trying to get my head around it, and how the general public and the government view his past.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 6:41 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by logan
With all the recent news reports on him, Mr L and I have both been trying to work out the whole 'saint' or 'sinner' theory. The news reports seemed to tell it like it is, including the major inquiry into him and his cohorts. I understand that it was a hung jury, but I get the feeling that a lot of people do believe he was crooked/bent whatever you wish to call it. So how come his name doesn't seem to be tarnished, or disgraced? Is it simply because he wasn't actually found guilty?

Excuse my ignorance, but just trying to get my head around it, and how the general public and the government view his past.
Most of the jury was made of of his cousins or other of his inbred relatives.
The jury Foreman turned out to be a member of the " Friends of Joh Group"
and a member of the National Party, sir Johs own party.
www.greenleft.org.au/back/1992/74/74p4b.htm

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 23rd 2005 at 6:51 pm.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 7:01 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Whether he was a good guy or a bad guy, as Jeremy said he brought hell of alot of development & economic prosperity to Qld.

to him.
Like Adolph Hitler before him, love him or loath him he built great mororways.
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 7:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by logan
I understand that it was a hung jury,:
The jury was 10 Guilty and 2 Not.

I think that he did things his way, overruling the law where required, to get the result that he thought was best.

What did the general QLD population think about him ? The voted him back in 7 times (I think) ?

One of the top union leaders didn't like him, and said he should not get a State Funeral.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Didnt he get voted in on 18% of the vote, created his own boundaries so his votes were worth more or something.

He went out in true aussie style too tried to sue the government for 3 million bucks for stress Claim was chucked out of court.

Still he went off setting a new trend, getting buried in his own back yard wonder what permit we need for that
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 8:15 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Ummm, if I likened someone that I thought did alot of political good in his career with Maggie Thatcher, I'd end up divorced Anya ... .... . Can't I just do the History O-level question?

As for the movie, like most political dramas it may not make totally rivetting viewing & Im not sure who they could get to say "dont you worry about that" without bursting out laughing.

What about Hugh Jackman? Or Heath Ledger? At least give the women something to drool over though the heavy dialogue?
LOL

Yes, go on, do the History O-level question.....!

How about Sean Penn? Saw him in 'The Interpreter' last week, & thought he looked quite presentable . Who should play the part of Lady Flo?

Anya.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.