Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SIR 495 and Visa/Mastercard debit cards

SIR 495 and Visa/Mastercard debit cards

Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of
Default SIR 495 and Visa/Mastercard debit cards

Hi all

We arrived in Adelaide on Monday and went to Westpac to activate our accounts which we opened in the UK before we left, on arrival there we were advised that because of our visa status we were unable to have a mastercard debit card and were only allowed a handycard which does mean that we can use EFTPOS and withdraw cash but nothing else. Having checked other banks they all advise that Australian residents aged over 18 can apply but when I called Commonwealth bank they told me that this meant permanent residents (which is not what I understand from the terminology).

Has anyone in the same position found a workaround for this? We really want a visa or mastercard to be able to pay for things online etc and use overseas. We do not want a credit card which we have been told we can have as soon as we get a job. Seems bizarre that we have a large sum sitting in an Australian account which I cannot access with a debit visa card but they would be happy to let me spend their money instead! This can't be right?!

Would be grateful for any help/advice.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:06 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIR 495 and Visa/Mastercard debit cards

Originally Posted by Flutterby
Hi all

We arrived in Adelaide on Monday and went to Westpac to activate our accounts which we opened in the UK before we left, on arrival there we were advised that because of our visa status we were unable to have a mastercard debit card and were only allowed a handycard which does mean that we can use EFTPOS and withdraw cash but nothing else. Having checked other banks they all advise that Australian residents aged over 18 can apply but when I called Commonwealth bank they told me that this meant permanent residents (which is not what I understand from the terminology).

Has anyone in the same position found a workaround for this? We really want a visa or mastercard to be able to pay for things online etc and use overseas. We do not want a credit card which we have been told we can have as soon as we get a job. Seems bizarre that we have a large sum sitting in an Australian account which I cannot access with a debit visa card but they would be happy to let me spend their money instead! This can't be right?!

Have a look at the Citibank Citiplus account. It automatically comes with a Visa debit card called a Citicard (including chip'n'pin). The Citicard acts as an ATM and EFT card, so it can be used online to purchase things overseas.

The other beauty of it is that Citi don't charge you to withdraw money from other bank's ATMs. The Citiplus account is fee free if you have your salary paid into it, else there is a $5 a month fee. All otyher transactions are fee free apart from bank cheques which are $8, or $15 if needed within 24 hours.

Hope that helps.

Debit cards have been slow to catch on here - some banks still don't do them, or do complicated ones that you have to charge up from your bank account. I think it's largely due to the fact that most places still ask you to sign, and then make no attempt to reconcile the signature on the card with what has been signed. I suspect people are nervous about a thief being able to dip into their funds.

S
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

swmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond reputeswmbo63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flutterby
Hi all

When we arrived in Adelaide 2007 on Temp 457 visa we were given Handy cards only,but a few weeks later went in to ask about Mastercard debit and were given them, this was at Gouger street.But we did have a job so don't know if this was why.

I would ask again.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Anz also give a visa debit card to those on temp visa. We got a Visa debit same week we arrived. But you have to ask as they give you the eftpos as standard, and you ask for add on visa debit so you can do online stuff.

Gems
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Thanks very much all for this info, someone on another forum mentioned about ANZ but hadn't heard about citibank so will try them too. I have always found debit cards fantastically useful and it was one thing that my research didn't cover, and this is what british expats is great for!!!!!

Will let you know what happens so that if anyone else is in the same position they have the info too.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Gravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond reputeGravyman has a reputation beyond repute

We opened a Commonwealth Bank account in the UK before we came out.

As soon as we landed in adelaide we went to the bank and our EFTPOS cards and account was waiting for us.

We were asked if we wanted a credit card but thought we wouldn't be able as like you we were on a SIR plus we didn't have jobs.

A week later our cards came.

We know of a few more SIR holders who got a credit card no problems.

Graham