Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Single Thirty-Somethings

Single Thirty-Somethings

Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single Thirty-Somethings

Originally Posted by tracey.d
Hows everyone getting on? Has anybody moved yet?

Just wondered how people are settling in. It's getting closer for me and I'm starting to worry.
Hi guys
I'm 40 am I allowed to post
I moved out with partner, split up, then after a while moved home.
I remigrated aged 38, on my own knowing no one in my area.
Made really nice friends - I house shared at first which helped, not something I'd done since uni days.
Getting into doing things you love, for me ceramic classes helped - I met alot of lovely people doing that.
If you're female though, it is a bit different or I've found it to be with men here. Just my experience.
Good luck
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Hi guys
I'm 40 am I allowed to post
I moved out with partner, split up, then after a while moved home.
I remigrated aged 38, on my own knowing no one in my area.
Made really nice friends - I house shared at first which helped, not something I'd done since uni days.
Getting into doing things you love, for me ceramic classes helped - I met alot of lovely people doing that.
If you're female though, it is a bit different or I've found it to be with men here. Just my experience.
Good luck
Glad to hear youre settling in nicely

I think I'm going to find it really difficult as I'll be working shifts and have kids.

I don't see how I'm going to manage to work, have time for the kids and still find time to get a hobby. Shifts make it difficult to do something every week.

My daughter is going to be nearly 17 so she will be doing her own thing a lot of the time. My main priority is going to be trying to spend some quality time with my son, 11.

He likes to fish, although he's only been a couple of times. I''d like to go to a fishing club with him (I know a lot of women might think I'm a bit mad but I quite liked fishing with my Dad when I was a kid).

But, I'd also like to do something that is just for me. I'm not sure what yet
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:49 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I can (kind-of) join in with this!

I'm in my thirties, and I'll be moving to Brisbane on my own - OH is staying in Sydney for the foreseeable future and then we'll make a decision on Brisbane or Sydney.

I know very very few people in Brisbane, I've got nowhere to stay as yet (and I'm meant to be there on the 30 June), and I haven't lived on my own for years.

I plan to throw myself at complete strangers and beg them to be my friend
Old Jun 13th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear youre settling in nicely

I think I'm going to find it really difficult as I'll be working shifts and have kids.

I don't see how I'm going to manage to work, have time for the kids and still find time to get a hobby. Shifts make it difficult to do something every week.

My daughter is going to be nearly 17 so she will be doing her own thing a lot of the time. My main priority is going to be trying to spend some quality time with my son, 11.

He likes to fish, although he's only been a couple of times. I''d like to go to a fishing club with him (I know a lot of women might think I'm a bit mad but I quite liked fishing with my Dad when I was a kid).

But, I'd also like to do something that is just for me. I'm not sure what yet
Mmmm....I live in a place with a few nice cafes where I've met a lot of locals and made some chums there. Theres expat meet ups I think in your area too, a good start

Saying I'm settled, well, I'm actually moving back home I think

Nothing wrong with being into fishing

Good luck
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chels
I can (kind-of) join in with this!

I'm in my thirties, and I'll be moving to Brisbane on my own - OH is staying in Sydney for the foreseeable future and then we'll make a decision on Brisbane or Sydney.

I know very very few people in Brisbane, I've got nowhere to stay as yet (and I'm meant to be there on the 30 June), and I haven't lived on my own for years.

I plan to throw myself at complete strangers and beg them to be my friend
I'll be your friend when I get there
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:09 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be your friend when I get there
As long as we don't have to go fishing
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Saying I'm settled, well, I'm actually moving back home I think

Good luck
Oh sorry, you're still only thinking about it though so not definite yet. Do you think being on your own has made it harder on you?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chels
As long as we don't have to go fishing
No, that will be reserved for my son
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh sorry, you're still only thinking about it though so not definite yet. Do you think being on your own has made it harder on you?

Yes. It was alot easier having my now ex to share n giggle with things over. Even with friends here, I've spent a fair amount of time on my own, I 'm fine with my own company but do get bored of myself. You should be prepared for possibly having times on your own/with your kids. Dont know what your social life is like now?
I'm 99% going back. I'm going home as I miss the UK & dont see myself living here long term for various reasons. If I was in a relationship, I'd still want to head back, just trying to say its not as I'm single. I do think being here makes it less likely to meet someone though just due to fact me and Oz men are not what I'd call compatible
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:00 pm
Sand, sea and serenity

Milo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the roughMilo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bello
snap, i did the working holiday visa thing as well, am 30 now and going over by myself but i'm thinking of the Sydney area at the moment
You might want to look at this site if you are coming to Sydney, wwwgetalife.com.au they have a great social scene, meet ups ect. you do have to pay a fee but I find them very friendly and many activities are free when you meet up. Most are in your age group.

Marie
Old Jun 13th 2007, 7:37 pm
Oz Passport Holder ;)

Julez82 is on a distinguished road

Not 30 something but a 20 something! Am moving over on my own to the GC with my 1 year old daughter in 3 weeks! Going straight into a rental property with a view to buy sometime in the near future!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:07 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julez82
Not 30 something but a 20 something! Am moving over on my own to the GC with my 1 year old daughter in 3 weeks! Going straight into a rental property with a view to buy sometime in the near future!
where abouts in the GC are you heading for ??
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:32 pm
Oz Passport Holder ;)

Originally Posted by steve`o
where abouts in the GC are you heading for ??
Not 100% sure yet but have temp holiday accommodation booked in Miami for a few weeks to scope out the area and decide on a good place to live in! I see from your profile you're in the GC - whereabouts?
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:41 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Julez82
Not 100% sure yet but have temp holiday accommodation booked in Miami for a few weeks to scope out the area and decide on a good place to live in! I see from your profile you're in the GC - whereabouts?
renting at varsity lakes at the mo which is just around the corner from miami ( we move out in about a month ) moving to worongary ( which is about 8k away ) into our half finished house come building site

ps if you need any help regarding the area or whatever just ask

regards steve

Last edited by steve`o; Jun 13th 2007 at 8:53 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:04 pm
Oz Passport Holder ;)

Originally Posted by steve`o
renting at varsity lakes at the mo which is just around the corner from miami ( we move out in about a month ) moving to worongary ( which is about 8k away ) into our half finished house come building site

ps if you need any help regarding the area or whatever just ask

regards steve
Wow! Are you building it yourselves or using an external company?

Thanks for the offer of advice, I will probably need it soon!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.