British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Single Scottish Mummy moving to Hervey Bay (Now not sure!!!!) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/single-scottish-mummy-moving-hervey-bay-now-not-sure-790265/)

Redski26 Mar 12th 2013 11:53 am

Single Scottish Mummy moving to Hervey Bay (Now not sure!!!!)

:)Hi Im a single mum from Scotland looking to move to Hervey Bay (I Think???) hoping to get work as child and family nurse in area? I also have experience as a surgical nurse but because I am a single mum I need 8-4 or 9-5 hours, will this be difficult? Have researched area thoroughly but obviously doing the move alone is VERY scary and just wondered if anyone had any advice etc on area? I have read quite a few negative things on here regarding HB and now I am so conflicted if I am doing right thing and if there is a chance I may get work as I could not possibly move out there without job offer as it is only myself to provide for my 5 year old son? Any help would really make me feel better. Looking to be there this time next year. Been thinking about Kawungan state school for wee man but would really like to live in Urangan, want to live somewhere I feel safe :-)

Cookster Mar 27th 2013 3:26 am

Re: Single Scottish Mummy moving to Hervey Bay (Now not sure!!!!)

Hello there from lovely, sunny, SAFE Hervey Bay!!!!
Just thought Id say hello as no one else has!!!! Jokes.
We have lived in the Bay for 7 years now, seen our kids go though most of their school here. Oldest left 2 years ago with a great OP score and is now living in Darwin, settled and very happy. Youngest in his last year at Urangan State School in Urangan, which i may add is a great school. The bay is a lovely place to bring up young children and very very safe. I have a few firends that are in the nursing profession and they mostly work at the hospital here. The resession, like anywhere else in the world is hitting quite badly. The main industry in the bay is tourism or hospitality, and both are being hit quite badly. Im a firm believer that there is work out there, you just have to search for it. We have a very large group of friends in the bay, and I dont know anyone who is unemployed!!!
Anyway, just wanted to say good luck with the job hunting, and if I can help in any way please ask.
Angela

Pollyana Mar 27th 2013 12:08 pm

Couple of years old now but there's a huge thread on Hervey Bay HERE
You might find some of it useful :)

old.sparkles Mar 27th 2013 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Redski26 (Post 10598862)
:)Hi Im a single mum from Scotland looking to move to Hervey Bay (I Think???) hoping to get work as child and family nurse in area? I also have experience as a surgical nurse but because I am a single mum I need 8-4 or 9-5 hours, will this be difficult? Have researched area thoroughly but obviously doing the move alone is VERY scary and just wondered if anyone had any advice etc on area? I have read quite a few negative things on here regarding HB and now I am so conflicted if I am doing right thing and if there is a chance I may get work as I could not possibly move out there without job offer as it is only myself to provide for my 5 year old son? Any help would really make me feel better. Looking to be there this time next year. Been thinking about Kawungan state school for wee man but would really like to live in Urangan, want to live somewhere I feel safe :-)

Can't help with nursing, or Hervey Bay, but also a single mum so understand the added stress having to do everything yourself.

Good luck with the move

Sparkles

Redski26 Mar 27th 2013 11:16 pm

Thank you all for your advice the thread was very interestin. Thanks for the kind words. Im just gonna start being positive and cant wait to move to HB and hopefully meet some new pals for me and my wee fella :-):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup ::thumbsup:

Margaret3 Mar 28th 2013 2:12 am

mmmmm, dont want to be a whinger, but if you have family support where you are then i would recommend you stay where you are. Research the cost of childcare here. Also research if you are entitled to any other benefits, which could be a help.

I imagine you have enough funds to last 6 months if the employment you gain turns out to be unsuitable (like mine, i had a job before coming, turned out to be the worst nursing job i have ever had in my life, the positive is, it forced me to move on quickly and i now enjoy where i work, but i needed extra funds to make that transition). Your plan to have employment before coming over, i would say is very sensible, it would be great if you got the hours your looking for.

I am a nurse in Melbourne (so cant talk for Harvey Bay), but even in a big city like this regular, lady, nursing hours are hard to come by.

Also Australian post-grad certificates are preferred.

But i genuinely wish you the best of luck.:)

In Scotland I had lovely 'lady' hours, but here was forced to work shifts. However i couldnt imagine surviving financially without the shift allowance and weekend pay here. I know you have probably read a hundred times its a very expensive place to live, i read it and to be honest thought people were whinging.....but believe me Australia is an expensive place to live.

I am not trying to frighten you, i just want you to be realistic and have plans made for times if they turn out to be tough (especially at the beginning as they often are until you get to know what's going on!) I would also recommend you make a plan if you decide living in oz is not for you and you want to return. However, like us, if thats not a financial option (and also our children are at stages where returning would be educational suicide for then), sometimes thats a good way to force you to 'get on with it'.

Broad Shoulders Mar 28th 2013 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Cookster (Post 10625912)
Hello there from lovely, sunny, SAFE Hervey Bay!!!!
Just thought Id say hello as no one else has!!!! Jokes.
We have lived in the Bay for 7 years now, seen our kids go though most of their school here. Oldest left 2 years ago with a great OP score and is now living in Darwin, settled and very happy. Youngest in his last year at Urangan State School in Urangan, which i may add is a great school. The bay is a lovely place to bring up young children and very very safe. I have a few firends that are in the nursing profession and they mostly work at the hospital here. The resession, like anywhere else in the world is hitting quite badly. The main industry in the bay is tourism or hospitality, and both are being hit quite badly. Im a firm believer that there is work out there, you just have to search for it. We have a very large group of friends in the bay, and I dont know anyone who is unemployed!!!
Anyway, just wanted to say good luck with the job hunting, and if I can help in any way please ask.
Angela

I go to HB at least 3 times a year as the in-laws have a holiday home there. My BIL and SIL live there with their kids and every time I am there I am reading about the high unemployment rate at the bay. Last time I was there I read it was double digit unemployment.

http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com....st-10/1350431/
http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com....worst/1755806/

It is an odd place in that it is heavily reliant on tourism but also retail and the service of old people, with the bay being such a retirement hotspot.

I wouldn't say the bay is the most prosperous of places to go in Australia, however with your chosen field being health you are probably more advantaged because there is a large focus on providing health care for the elderly population.

Josh123 Mar 30th 2013 11:56 pm

omg

arkon Mar 31st 2013 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 10627992)
mmmmm, dont want to be a whinger, but if you have family support where you are then i would recommend you stay where you are. Research the cost of childcare here. Also research if you are entitled to any other benefits, which could be a help.

I imagine you have enough funds to last 6 months if the employment you gain turns out to be unsuitable (like mine, i had a job before coming, turned out to be the worst nursing job i have ever had in my life, the positive is, it forced me to move on quickly and i now enjoy where i work, but i needed extra funds to make that transition). Your plan to have employment before coming over, i would say is very sensible, it would be great if you got the hours your looking for.

I am a nurse in Melbourne (so cant talk for Harvey Bay), but even in a big city like this regular, lady, nursing hours are hard to come by.

Also Australian post-grad certificates are preferred.

But i genuinely wish you the best of luck.:)

In Scotland I had lovely 'lady' hours, but here was forced to work shifts. However i couldnt imagine surviving financially without the shift allowance and weekend pay here. I know you have probably read a hundred times its a very expensive place to live, i read it and to be honest thought people were whinging.....but believe me Australia is an expensive place to live.

I am not trying to frighten you, i just want you to be realistic and have plans made for times if they turn out to be tough (especially at the beginning as they often are until you get to know what's going on!) I would also recommend you make a plan if you decide living in oz is not for you and you want to return. However, like us, if thats not a financial option (and also our children are at stages where returning would be educational suicide for then), sometimes thats a good way to force you to 'get on with it'.

What the heck is a 'lady' hour? is that some measurement of time us men don't have access to?

old.sparkles Mar 31st 2013 3:02 am

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 10632777)
What the heck is a 'lady' hour? is that some measurement of time us men don't have access to?

I think she means 9-5 - I thought 'men at work' was a myth :P

Margaret3 Mar 31st 2013 11:49 am

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 10632777)

:lol: I forget its not a common term, we use it at work all the time to describe 9-5 monday to friday jobs.

arkon Mar 31st 2013 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret3 (Post 10633214)
:lol: I forget its not a common term, we use it at work all the time to describe 9-5 monday to friday jobs.

Those are the exact same hours most men work! Shouldn't you rename it ladyboy hours?

dragon1954 Mar 31st 2013 9:59 pm

You can read about a place until you are blue in the face, but it's not until you have actually been there and had a good look around that you will know whether or not it's right for you. You might do better to start off in Brisbane where there are more job opportunities and then spend your weekends venturing out to find your ideal spot.

As for coming to Australia as a single mum it will be hard and lonely initially, but then again that is the same anywhere you go. Treat the move as one big adventure for you and your child......nothing ventured nothing gained.

The Bloke Apr 1st 2013 7:32 am

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 10633930)
Those are the exact same hours most men work! Shouldn't you rename it ladyboy hours?

Only if you're in Thailand......

minibelle Apr 3rd 2013 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Redski26 (Post 10598862)

Hi Redski26

I live in Hervey Bay so may be of some use.

In regards to the Nursing, Hervey Bay has a university that specializes in Nursing and teaching so there are many Graduates each year searching for jobs, I know a few who are working in Aged Care or Support Work whilst still searching for work, on a positive note they are building a large private hospital. Maryborough is 30mins away and a lot of staff are expected to work over both sites.

Most of the nurses that i know use family day care, children are looked after in the educators home and will provide care for shift workers that will also include sleep overs if needed.

If you are hoping to get your son into Kawungan state school you will need to live within the boundary, it is a very popular school, as Urangan is the other side of Hervey bay you may have a struggle.

We have lived in Hervey bay for 4 1/2 years and feel it is a great place, if you enjoy shopping and eating out then be prepared to travel to the sunny coast. There are lots of family activities each weekend and during the holidays.

Thanks Minibelle