Single Parents

Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

SCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud of
Question Single Parents

Hello there.

Just wondering if any single parents out there are mad enough to migrate? :scared:

Made the decision to go after a years working holiday visa, but since my return I now have a little boy, nearly 2.

Obviously now feel a little daunted at the prospect and having major second thoughts

Any input gratefully received.

Thanks
SCooper
x
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Derbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really nice
Smile Re: Single Parents

Originally Posted by SCooper
Hello there.

Just wondering if any single parents out there are mad enough to migrate? :scared:

Made the decision to go after a years working holiday visa, but since my return I now have a little boy, nearly 2.

Obviously now feel a little daunted at the prospect and having major second thoughts

Thanks
SCooper
x

Hi there i suppose i'm about to be classed as a single parent!.
I'm nearly divorced and i've got the kids!, wife buggering off with an old BF.
I have 3 boys one of 7 and twins of 2!.
Telling you this because i'm moving to america.
But won't be on my own once i'm there.
Hope this helps!.. and good luck!
if u need any more advice message me.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default Re: Single Parents

Hi SCooper
No your not alone I'm a single parent with an eleven year old son heading for Oz (Melbourne).

Theres a few other single parents on here. I think we have all had the same doubts and worries at one point or another

The way I see things is if I can cope as a single parent in the UK then i'm sure i'll manage just fine in Oz

Where you heading? What area?

Good luck and pm me if you need any help or advise
Old Jun 6th 2006, 3:48 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Hi,

Not sure if this counts but when I come back from my impending trip to the UK (flying out on Sat!) my daughter and grandson are coming back to live in Adelaide with me.

Although she does have me to help her settle I'm sure she has the same worries about emigrating as other single parents.

And no, you're not mad. I was on my own with my two daughters when I started the visa process; somewhere along the line they grew up, became independent and decided not to come with me, but I was and am still sure that coming to Aus is a fantastic opportunity for my daughters and my grandson. Just waiting for daughter no 1 to get on with making the move!

Good luck, don't be daunted. You can do it!

Elaine M
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SCooper
Hello there.

Thanks
SCooper
x
Would recommend first step you sort out gaining permission from child's other birth parent to take them out of the country as this can prove an obstacle!
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:25 pm
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Single Parents

[QUOTE=SCooper]Hello there.

Yes, I'm one of them! My daughter will be 12 when we go out and for a long time I considered the idea of going it 'alone' to be ludicrous. I posted a few threads about earnings and costings etc and a lot of people told me "Dont do it, you will definitely struggle for money". But a few positive souls on this site said "Hey, if your'e managing on a budget as a single parent in the UK, then you could sure manage the same way out here". Then you have to way up what you want; I just want a better quality of life, not more money (and I aint going to find that in Preston!) My only worry will be some form of childcare/supervision during summer school holidays etc. Lets hope she makes lots of friends!!!
Id say carry on going for it! We could all meet up some day and form a support group out in Oz!
Diane.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Would recommend first step you sort out gaining permission from child's other birth parent to take them out of the country as this can prove an obstacle!

Depends on whether such permission is required in the first place! (it depends on the circumstances).

It is however worth the original poster taking a look at http://www.immi.gov.au to see if she qualifies to migrate, as not everyone is eligible.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 4:37 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Derbys12
Hi there i suppose i'm about to be classed as a single parent!.
I'm nearly divorced and i've got the kids!, wife buggering off with an old BF.
I have 3 boys one of 7 and twins of 2!.

Good for you Derbys ... It's not often that I can tell that blokes end up with the kids in a divorce, and I don't know how anyone could leave 2 year olds but people are odd aren't they? I'm impressed.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

SCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud ofSCooper has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Single Parents

Cheers Guys

Can't express how much your responses have lifted my mood.

There should not be a problem with the Visa, I hope, I am a nurse so very much in demand, the father has not been seen for dust since the pregnancy test and a stat. dec. has already been sent just sorting medicals at the moment.

I manage financially,, just, but do rely on tax credits for child care so I can work. It is just the fact I am going from my comfort zone I think. Being set up with a good creche child friendly hours at work.

I am sure when I get there and get set up things will be fine

I am up for the support group but not sure I will be nearby for anyone, hopefully moving to Maryborough, a few hours up the coast from Brisbane. Job dependant.

Will have to do it as I could not live with the regret of not doing it.

Once again I would like to thank everyone who replied your input has been gratefully received and I will continue to watch this thread with interest. Thanks again guys

SCooper
x

PS let me know where you settle I may need a babysitter
Old Jun 7th 2006, 9:09 am
Im here!!!!!!

Dianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud ofDianej has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Single Parents

Aaaawwww Shucks! Im off to Melbourne (and also a nurse!)
Best of British with your move to A NEW LIFE! You will find a newer, more comfortable zone Im sure!

Diane
Old Jun 11th 2006, 9:59 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

I am another one. I have had all the doubts about it all, but figured that if I can cope here I can cope there. This dosen't stop we worrying about all the things that can go wrong,but I want the move so badly that I will make sure I will make it work.