British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Single parent who is a nurse and wants to move to Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/single-parent-who-nurse-wants-move-australia-917022/)

neese Sep 7th 2018 10:46 pm

Single parent who is a nurse and wants to move to Australia

Hello!

I am a single parent who has a 9 year old son and wants to start a new life with him in Australia. My sons father lives in the United states and he is not on the birth certifcate so i dont see an issue with regards to getting his permission? Also can anyone give me advice please on child care etc as i have no family or friends there but i am willing to be bold and make the move. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Thank you!
neese

verystormy Sep 8th 2018 5:36 am

Re: Single parent who is a nurse and wants to move to Australia

First, visas. Are you degree trained?

Second, you will not be eligible for any government assistance until you gain citizenship which is 4 years plus about a year of processing.

old.sparkles Sep 8th 2018 5:54 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12560187)

Second, you will not be eligible for any government assistance until you gain citizenship which is 4 years plus about a year of processing.

Not sure what you are referring too VS? My understanding was that migrants can claim benefits after 104 weeks in Australia, but that some benefits are exempt from this waiting period. The old child care rebate and child benefits have been replaced so not sure it they are exempt or not, but you do not need to be an citizen for sure.

carcajou Sep 8th 2018 12:42 pm

Agreed, make sure there is a viable visa strategy first.

Everything else about child benefit etc is irrelevant if there is no visa.

neese Sep 8th 2018 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12560187)

Yes I have a degree.

I meant how possible would it be for me to do this alone as I have no friends and family out there? Or am I wasting my time? I guess I won’t know til I do it huh. Carpe diem and all that ☺️

carcajou Sep 8th 2018 1:57 pm

You aren't going to do it at all unless you have a visa, which is what verystormy and myself are trying to tell you.

Have you been on Home Affairs' points calculator yet, to see where you compare?

neese Sep 8th 2018 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12560348)
You aren't going to do it at all unless you have a visa, which is what verystormy and myself are trying to tell you.

Have you been on Home Affairs' points calculator yet, to see where you compare?

Yes I’m aware that I need a visa and that will not be an issue as I am eligible. I’m talking about after that, when I gain employment and move over there. It’s a scary thought doing it alone and was wondering if it was possible to do so without without family and friends for support.

Pollyana Sep 8th 2018 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by neese (Post 12560359)

Yes I’m aware that I need a visa and that will not be an issue as I am eligible. I’m talking about after that, when I gain employment and move over there. It’s a scary thought doing it alone and was wondering if it was possible to do so without without family and friends for support.

It's possible, there have been others on here who have asked the same question and managed it but expect it to be tough.

Nursing isn't the easy way in that it used to be, much harder now to find permanent positions and many people have to rely on agency work especially at first.
Childcare wise, you may get some beneftts, assuming you come on a permanent visa, but as Oldsparkles says the system has changed recently and having no kids I am not up with the changes, you'd need to look at the Centrelink website. Your main issue would be the need for childcare before and after school, and the resultant cost -many schools provide care but at a price. There is also a big emphasis on after school activities, all of which cost $$.
Those who come with kids seem to meet people through their children, which would be a help for you, but it would take time.

quoll Sep 8th 2018 8:51 pm

Rather depends on how independent you are where you are now. If you’ve got no family/friends where you are then it won’t be that much different but if you’re quite heavily reliant on acquaintances now then it’s go8ng to be bloody difficult to do it in a foreign country. Expect to pay for much more, some of which you might get free at the moment - assume you will have to pay for everything and anything you get by way of benefits will be a bonus.

It won’t be a new life, it’ll still be the same old you and the same old son doing the same old things in a different place is all.

carcajou Sep 8th 2018 11:53 pm

"Qualify" is very different from having a high enough points total to get drawn from the pool. You "qualify" on 60 points but nobody ever gets invited on that. In the last two rounds nobody with fewer than 70 points has gotten an invitation; at the end of last year it was 75 and I would expect it to go back up to 75 in the second part of this program year.

Not saying this to be negative - but you really do need to visit the points calculator and review what is required of you in the skills assessment (which is absolutely not a formality) before generalising that you are going to be able to do this. This site is littered with the threads of posters who "qualified" for a permanent visa right up to the moment they realised they had no chance.

Work Widow Sep 14th 2018 11:28 pm

Regarding childcare:

Depending upon which State you select to live in. When my in-laws emigrated back in the 50's they were advised to apply to Queensland as it has warmer weather therefore you need less clothing (they had 4 children at the time and went on to have two more).

Anyway in Qld, and probably the other states most of the schools have before school and after school care. There are also some day care facilities which operate as overnight for children of people who shift work. Alongside the "daycare centres” there are "family day care” facilities run by people within their own homes where children can overnight or stay on weekends.
The ratio of carer to child is less than that of a purpose built day care facility. The availability "family day care” facilities is largely determined by the size of the city/town.

Being a single parent is not unusual these days and you will quickly find support through your school community.

Good luck.

Alan Collett Sep 18th 2018 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12560494)
"Qualify" is very different from having a high enough points total to get drawn from the pool. You "qualify" on 60 points but nobody ever gets invited on that. In the last two rounds nobody with fewer than 70 points has gotten an invitation; at the end of last year it was 75 and I would expect it to go back up to 75 in the second part of this program year.

Not saying this to be negative - but you really do need to visit the points calculator and review what is required of you in the skills assessment (which is absolutely not a formality) before generalising that you are going to be able to do this. This site is littered with the threads of posters who "qualified" for a permanent visa right up to the moment they realised they had no chance.

The skilled visa points threshold increased to 65 in July ...

Best regards.