Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Single Parent Migrants past and present

Single Parent Migrants past and present

Old Jan 18th 2007, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute
Default Single Parent Migrants past and present

hi everyone!
is there anyone out there who has done this whole migration thing with just their children as a single parent? I cant believe i am the only one here
I'd like to think i am going into this whole thing eyes wide open but there are times i wonder what the hell i am thinkin of - lifestyle changes like this dont happen to the likes of me and all that.
I am applying as Skilled Independent 136. I am a chef/cook (big decision hasnt yet been made over which one i will apply under)
My children are 18, 14 & 11. The eldest one will finish his degree in UK and then wants to join the Western Australian Police.
I have a house to sell here but i am not gonna have the kind of mega bucks so many people seem to talk about on this site. I will probably have 50-60k once house is sold. Out of which i will obviously need to pay for shipping household stuff, flights and setting up costs. I know i am not going to be in a position to buy for some time and whilst i wish it were different i accept that. I guess it is the day to day living which worries me, how quickly i will find a job if i am willing to do absolutely ANYTHING as long as i am earning. Is there any legislation about children being home alone before or after school whilst i am working. It will greatly restrict my working day and job opportunities if they cannot arrive home from school with me at work. The eldest is away at uni so for the past 6 months the 14 & 11 year olds are at home from 7.30 til 8.30 when they walk to school and then occassionally arrive home alone for an hour or so. They are very sensible level headed kids and i have NO problem whatso ever about it - but is that acceptable in Australia?
Did any of you find it very hard to meet new friends as a singleton? In the past i have always found having kids makes that easier.
Basically i think i am asking your opinions on whether i am likely to sink or swim. Obviously every situation is difficult but surely if i am willing to do what ever job it cant be all doom and gloom?????
Someone out there must be or know of someone that has done this whole process alone if so can you please point them in my direction i would really value beign able to chat to them.
We will be going to Perth.
Thanks
Mandy x
Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:22 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single Parent Migrants past and present

Originally Posted by daunted
Someone out there must be or know of someone that has done this whole process alone if so can you please point them in my direction i would really value beign able to chat to them.
We will be going to Perth.
Thanks
Mandy x
I'm pretty sure that November11 is a single mum and one of the Tracys, can't remember whether TracyW or TracyD.

I know that's not much help - but I wanted to give your post a "bump".

Good luck.

Gina
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Gina - can we keep bumping please until they hopefully see this
fanx
mandyx
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Mandy,

I'm going with 3 kids, doing it all alone this end, but I do have a partner in Perth who has been there 16 months already.

Not quite the same but I do kinda know how you're feeling.

I feel like i've this big elephant sat on my plate for dinner, have to eat it in all one sitting, and no idea where to start

Application went today - just have to wait now.

However - what i'm trying to say is - lets keep in touch - you won't be alone.

Mine are 19 16 and 9

Good Luck
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

oooooooooh thank you so much pheonix - have pm you too

HEY EVERYBODY I GOT A NEW FRIEND
Old Jan 18th 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by daunted
oooooooooh thank you so much pheonix - have pm you too

HEY EVERYBODY I GOT A NEW FRIEND

Herrow new friend