Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Single and double mattress sizes in Oz

Single and double mattress sizes in Oz

Old Mar 28th 2006, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Question Single and double mattress sizes in Oz

Could someone please tell me whether the double and single bed sizes in Oz are the same as in the UK. We are contemplating buying a double and single mattress when we get out there so we have something to sleep on whilst we wait for the shipping to arrive ( the mattresses are due to be replaced so wouldn't bother shipping existing mattresses anyway). We wondered whether they would fit single and double bed frames bought over from the UK.
Thanks!!
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:21 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single and double mattress sizes in Oz

Originally Posted by liverpool girl
Could someone please tell me whether the double and single bed sizes in Oz are the same as in the UK. We are contemplating buying a double and single mattress when we get out there so we have something to sleep on whilst we wait for the shipping to arrive ( the mattresses are due to be replaced so wouldn't bother shipping existing mattresses anyway). We wondered whether they would fit single and double bed frames bought over from the UK.
Thanks!!
Great question, we are also thinking of doing the same. We wondered too about the size of the bedding, is it like ikea size or our usual uk size (if you know what I mean!) its just a waste of carrier if we can get the same over there cheaper too!
Anyone any ideas????
Old Mar 29th 2006, 4:36 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!!
We had to buy new beds when we arrived, and got a bunk (single upper/double lower) for our daughter, and a queen sized for us. Singles are pretty much the same size, give or take an inch - our dd has got several Disney single bed sets and they fit fine. Our Aus Queen is the same as our old UK king size - 5' - and all my old bedlinen fits pretty well, although it's not quite as loose as it would have been in the UK, so the Oz mattress must be slightly bigger. It's also a lot deeper than our old UK mattress. But as you're just needing to match mattresses to frames, I'd say you'll be fine with them. We're talking differences of no more than an inch, probably less.

HTH.

Sue
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:00 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!!

I can't tell you the different sizes of mattresses, because it doesn't matter how big the bed is I still only get 6 ins to sleep on, as wife seems to take the rest of the mattress.....

ZX....
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:22 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!!
Hi Liverpool Girl

I asked the same thing last year here is the thread explains all sizes

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=matress
Old Mar 29th 2006, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

derf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nice

We shipped the bed frame over and bought a queen size mattress here. I had to get 4 inches added to the length of the side rails to get the mattress to fit. At least now me feet don't hang over the end of the bed.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:35 am
arrived perth sept 06

kgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant futurekgray has a brilliant future

i have been looking at this myself try this for your measurements....got this lot off the net... hope it is of some help to you!

BED SIZES:
UK
Australia

Single, Twin
36 in × 75 in [uk]
36 in × 75 in [au]

Double, Full
54 in × 75 in [uk]
54 in × 75 in [au]

Queen
60 in × 78 in [uk]
60 in × 80 in [au]

King, (Super King)
72 in × 78 in[uk]
72 in × 80 in[au]
Old Mar 29th 2006, 11:48 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's another useful link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_sizes

Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Smile Re: Single and double mattress sizes in Oz

Thanks everyone for your replies. Problem now solved!!
Cheers
Old Mar 29th 2006, 1:45 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your replies. Problem now solved!!
Cheers

I did notice that IKEA in Aus only sells Queen size beds... a consideration for people who want to buy a king size there...