Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

single brit hoping to move oz with 3 year old!!

single brit hoping to move oz with 3 year old!!

Old May 15th 2012, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of
Default Re: single brit hoping to move oz with 3 year old!!

Originally Posted by Keeley
I don't think it will be paradise at all I will have all the same struggles as in England just with better weather and hoping for a better childhood and future for my child. Thanks I will have a look. I'm new too these forums and was slightly shocked how some people come across!!
Don't ask us people on the East coast about the last two years' weather - it's been awful, although Autumn so far is very lovely here in Sydney.

The grammar thing - this forum doesn't tend to have people writing in text speak (thx 4 that etc).

Someone quoted on one of these boards recently "I used to travel a lot but then realised I had to take myself too" which resonated quite a lot with me personally as I think all my problems will be solved by going back to Wales. Quite possibly they won't, who knows?
Old May 15th 2012, 1:32 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Penny45
Don't ask us people on the East coast about the last two years' weather - it's been awful, although Autumn so far is very lovely here in Sydney.

The grammar thing - this forum doesn't tend to have people writing in text speak (thx 4 that etc).

Someone quoted on one of these boards recently "I used to travel a lot but then realised I had to take myself too" which resonated quite a lot with me personally as I think all my problems will be solved by going back to Wales. Quite possibly they won't, who knows?
I like that quote...but my interpretation is that you enjoy a place more if you put yourself in it rather than just 'look' at it. Its a variance or 'when in Rome' I reckon.
As for Wales......it has a very special place in my heart, well, west and south wales has anyway!!
Old May 15th 2012, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Keeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really nice

Oh you do have a heart!!
Old May 15th 2012, 3:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Good luck to you.

Loads of people will tell you how you are entitled to nothing.

Fact is when we emigrated one of the things that immigration advised us to do was register with centre link to get our child in the system so any future childcare help we were entitled to would come our way.

We were immediately entitled to part A family assistance and because we were renting we also qualified for rental assistance due to low earnings in our first year. I elected to claim nothing as I did not want anything however after my first tax returns were submitted we were sent a rebate and approximately 35 per cent of our childcare was paid.

Everyone is entitled to help with childcare depending on their income. The level of help obviously goes down the more you earn.

Dreams are there to be had and after all of the hype on UK tv I dont blame you for having a good look around.

It is the land of opportunity and for all of the people that want to focus on the hard times then let rip with all you have got.

There is good and bad worldwide but somehow the 22 million people that live here manage to stay alive depsite that spiders, sharks, snakes, scorpions etc....
A couple of errors in here - the entitlements one gets are dependent upon the visa the OP enters on. If she gets a temporary visa then in NSW she will not only NOT get any benefits she will also have to pay for education. Temporary residents do not get help with childcare either so perhaps one needs to be clear about that - it may help spur the OP to get a PR visa if she can otherwise she will be stung with a whole lot of charges.
Old May 15th 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
What is that and what state is that in?????

We had our son in Long Day Care (LDC) prior to school and then he went into Year K (Kindergarden) when he started school. We took the decision, as you correctly pointed out, to keep him back a year due to social maturity. He was , and is , very clever but we were concerned about his social grouping skills. In retrospect, we should of put him in when he was eligible as he got bored halfway through last year of LDC and needed stimulation. But hey, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
hey Paddyo- I'm being the English teacher here......what's all this then???
Old May 15th 2012, 10:45 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keeley
Oh you do have a heart!!
Of course...but its buried deep within the pit of my black soul!
Old May 15th 2012, 10:45 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by campervanfan
I am ashamed!!!
Old May 16th 2012, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campervanfan
Hey, I was just going to point this out.

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
I think its the end of April of the school year which determines the cut off:
ie if your child turns 5 after April they must wait until the next year.
Some parents make the decision to hold back their children so they are not the youngest in the class (social maturity being more important than pushing children to keep up with the joneses)
Holding kids back (redshirting) the ones close to the cut off date...Some schools may allow it, others don't. My kids' school discourages it unless there are pressing medical reasons why the child cannot attend in his or her proper year. My kid is in the youngest cohort of his Kindy class. He's doing fine. Some kids have to be the oldest and some have to be the youngest. Redshirting was just not an option at their school.

They also don't allow them to move up. One of the families has a kid whose birthday is July 2. Even just two days past the cut off date, she can't be moved up into the other class.

Last edited by Japonica; May 16th 2012 at 8:14 am.
Old May 16th 2012, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Hey, I was just going to point this out.

Holding kids back (redshirting) the ones close to the cut off date...Some schools may allow it, others don't. My kids' school discourages it unless there are pressing medical reasons why the child cannot attend in his or her proper year. My kid is in the youngest cohort of his Kindy class. He's doing fine. Some kids have to be the oldest and some have to be the youngest. Redshirting was just not an option at their school.

They also don't allow them to move up. One of the families has a kid whose birthday is July 2. Even just two days past the cut off date, she can't be moved up into the other class.
Points to school selection then doesn't it.

If your happy then no problem, if on the other side parents are not they can select another school. There are some very immature kids that need more time, the age reference does not always assist as a guiding point.
Old May 16th 2012, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Points to school selection then doesn't it.

If your happy then no problem, if on the other side parents are not they can select another school. There are some very immature kids that need more time, the age reference does not always assist as a guiding point.
Yup. Something parents need to consider when choosing a school. As for how easy that choice is, it depends on your area. Some public schools have quite stringent boundary policies. We ran into this in our suburb.

I just volunteered for the first time (the first of many, I hope) at his Kindy class. I honestly did not see much of a difference between some of the older kids and the youngest ones. Many of the older ones had to be told repeatedly to do their work, stay on task, while many of the ones with May and June birthdays just quietly went about their business with no hassle. Like you said, it has to do with maturity and age is not the only deciding factor. I have read though in recent years that some parents who choose to redshirt for what they believe is lack of readiness in comparison with peers are perhaps actually dealing with undiagnosed learning issues. If that is the case, then without EI and addressing the specific issues at hand, just staying back a year won't necessarily be the solution they hoped for.

Last edited by Japonica; May 16th 2012 at 9:35 am.
Old May 16th 2012, 9:41 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I think it does depend on the school. In my corner of Sydney, it's pretty much expected that a child will be held back. My DD is eligible to start school in January next year. Her preschool teacher recommended holding DD back, when I discussed DD's progress with her. The schools I've spoken to (we're not sure yet which she'll go to) all said that the trend is very much to hold back. One in particular seemed very surprised that we'd even consider sending her next year. Speaking with other parents (at playgroup, for example) they pretty much all have/are planning to hold their child(ren) back. I think we'll start DD in school in January 2014, when she'll be 5 and a half. Intellectually, she's more than capable. But I think some extra maturity and confidence will help her - not just at the start of her school career, but throughout.
Old May 16th 2012, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
I have read though in recent years that some parents who choose to redshirt for what they believe is lack of readiness in comparison with peers are perhaps actually dealing with undiagnosed learning issues. If that is the case, then without EI and addressing the specific issues at hand, just staying back a year won't necessarily be the solution they hoped for.
hmm thats an interesting point on redshirting

EI (Early Intervention)should be more widely communicated so parents in denial have hope and can be proactive rather than head in sand.

Very surprised on how high a proportion of kids appear to have undiagnosed learning issues. Its not a reflection on parents for your child to have difficulties, it is however if you don't take action.
Old May 16th 2012, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
A couple of errors in here - the entitlements one gets are dependent upon the visa the OP enters on. If she gets a temporary visa then in NSW she will not only NOT get any benefits she will also have to pay for education. Temporary residents do not get help with childcare either so perhaps one needs to be clear about that - it may help spur the OP to get a PR visa if she can otherwise she will be stung with a whole lot of charges.
One needs to be a bit more observant and read all of the writing on ones post and one would have read that one was from the Gold Coast which is in Queensland and is nothing to do with NSW. One would have also noticed that having been a member since 2007 one was more than likely to be a PR.

But all the time there are the watchful eyes of forum experts to keep the un-informed educated on the correct procedures then we are all safe to continue using forums.

Joking aside I would like to belive that whilst this forum helped me immensely over the years and I am sure many others you would think all potential migrators would look up facts before they really decide to move the other side of the world.

Stick by my first post though...follow your dreams and explore your options and good luck.

Last edited by hantsfamily1; May 16th 2012 at 10:06 am.
Old May 16th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

hmm thats an interesting point on redshirting

EI (Early Intervention)should be more widely communicated so parents in denial have hope and can be proactive rather than head in sand.

Very surprised on how high a proportion of kids appear to have undiagnosed learning issues. Its not a reflection on parents for your child to have difficulties, it is however if you don't take action.
It also isn't all just learning issues either. Our son, like we mentioned, youngest in his class, has had a couple of speech "quirks" since he was three. Relatives, including one who works as a school social worker and support aide said, "Oh, don't worry, he's just young, he'll grow out of it." Assessment done, no, it's not just something that would fix itself with age and we're working with speech therapists. We sought help after confirming with his teachers that his speech was out of the range of "normal."

And as much as I usually dislike the bureaucratic health unit-type screens, the Kindy screen is useful for picking up developmental stuff. They do hearing, vision, speech, other evaluations from what I understand. The Kindy teacher said last year, in urging us to participate and consent to the screen, one of the kids was discovered to require quite a significant prescription for lenses. The parents had no idea her eyesight was a problem until that point.
Old May 16th 2012, 11:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
One needs to be a bit more observant and read all of the writing on ones post and one would have read that one was from the Gold Coast which is in Queensland and is nothing to do with NSW. One would have also noticed that having been a member since 2007 one was more than likely to be a PR.

But all the time there are the watchful eyes of forum experts to keep the un-informed educated on the correct procedures then we are all safe to continue using forums.

Joking aside I would like to belive that whilst this forum helped me immensely over the years and I am sure many others you would think all potential migrators would look up facts before they really decide to move the other side of the world.

Stick by my first post though...follow your dreams and explore your options and good luck.
Must admit from the way the OP was talking I thought she was looking at NSW, and talking of getting a job first, and being a nurse, points to a 457, so Quoll's info could be very valuable!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.