Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

single brit hoping to move oz with 3 year old!!

single brit hoping to move oz with 3 year old!!

Old May 14th 2012, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Keeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really nice
Default single brit hoping to move oz with 3 year old!!

Hi,

Im looking to relocate fron england manchester to Australia. Im single and am a qualified mental health nurse so i should be ok for work, i was just wondering if there are others out there who have been in my position and could give me any advice on childcare- costs schools etc thae cost of living in australia and price of renting properys. Any help and advice will be greatly received

cheers

keeley xx
Old May 14th 2012, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: single brit hoping to move oz with 3 year old!!

Will your child's father let him/her leave the country? Costs of child care will depend upon your visa - if you come on a temporary visa then you will be forking out anywhere between $50 and $80 per day for child care and get nothing back off the government. If you come on PR then you should get some benefits although how you cope with childcare and shift work could still work out expensive (if you have to go that way). Schooling (age 5+) should be free unless you live and work in NSW or ACT in which case you will be up for at least $5k pa.

Rents are going to vary depending on where you live - could be anything between $200 and $1000 per week.

You probably need a few more specifics in order to help people narrow things down for you.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Keeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really niceKeeley is just really nice

Yes he will let her leave so that all ok. So is NSW experience to live I. Was looking at a high secure hospital their?? If I'm honest I'm not sure were to live I'm off to an open day 16th find out what jobs are on offer. I expect realistically it will be year n half to 2 years before I get out their as there is not just me to consider!! I wouldnt ove expected to get any help off the government with childcare ... That has surprised me. My child will prob b 4 1/2-5 when we move, I went on a site n on there it said kids in oz didn't start school till 6 which shocked me... Is this not true, and why do you pay for schools in certain areas. I will basically be goin were I can get work but I don't want to be struggling with the cost of living etc. Thanks 4 ur help x
Old May 15th 2012, 12:03 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keeley
Yes he will let her leave so that all ok. So is NSW experience to live I. Was looking at a high secure hospital their?? If I'm honest I'm not sure were to live I'm off to an open day 16th find out what jobs are on offer. I expect realistically it will be year n half to 2 years before I get out their as there is not just me to consider!! I wouldnt ove expected to get any help off the government with childcare ... That has surprised me. My child will prob b 4 1/2-5 when we move, I went on a site n on there it said kids in oz didn't start school till 6 which shocked me... Is this not true, and why do you pay for schools in certain areas. I will basically be goin were I can get work but I don't want to be struggling with the cost of living etc. Thanks 4 ur help x
well apart from trying to decipher your grammar, I THINK I get the gist of what you are saying.
To answer a couple of your points; kids can start school in the year they are 5 OR hold off until the next year, you can decide. See here for more details:
http://ourkidz.com.au/content/view/293/286/lang,en/
As for paying school fees, it is a complete fiscal scam (and actually illegal under the UN convention but as usual australians are so apathetic here) by the ACT and NSW and their reasoning is that they get the largest quota of immigrants and so need more funds to assist with the education. Although only about 3% of the fees goes to the actual school!!
It is VERY expensive in Australia at the moment regardless of income so you will need to check your sums to see if you can afford it. Plus, none of my business, but you WILL need to consider the child/father aspect because maybe not now but in the future this could be awkward.
Finally, why Australia? It is NOT the UK with sun believe me so think through your reasoning carefully but by all means ask lots of questions on here to gain a better understanding.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Shocking how supposed professional people spell sometimes..
Old May 15th 2012, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keeley

Don't mind the grammar and spelling brigade.

Children attend ELC 3 year old and 4 year old before school

School can start at 5 with Prep proceeding to year 1 at 6

I think its the end of April of the school year which determines the cut off:
ie if your child turns 5 after April they must wait until the next year.
Some parents make the decision to hold back their children so they are not the youngest in the class (social maturity being more important than pushing children to keep up with the joneses)

There is small govt assistance for lower to medium income earners to help with childcare. But dont underestimate the issue of no family help for childcare.

Lots of planning ahead for you .... Good Luck
Old May 15th 2012, 9:02 am
Just Joined

if all u have 2 comment on is the spelling then dont bother too comment please!!! i was using predictive txt on my phone and i set up the thread for advice not comments about the speeling.

Thank you for all the helpful advice it has been a great help x
Old May 15th 2012, 9:08 am
Just Joined

I know the childcare is a big issue i have minimal help in england anyways and pay well over the odds for childcare due to my shift work so im use the stress of sorting this out!!! im looking for a brighter future for my child and a nicer lifestyle for myself. I know it will not be a walk in the park but im hoping that once we are settled things will fall into pace and we will be better off than we are in england and if i doesnt work out i should have enough saving to make the fight back!! x
Old May 15th 2012, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Good luck to you.

Loads of people will tell you how you are entitled to nothing.

Fact is when we emigrated one of the things that immigration advised us to do was register with centre link to get our child in the system so any future childcare help we were entitled to would come our way.

We were immediately entitled to part A family assistance and because we were renting we also qualified for rental assistance due to low earnings in our first year. I elected to claim nothing as I did not want anything however after my first tax returns were submitted we were sent a rebate and approximately 35 per cent of our childcare was paid.

Everyone is entitled to help with childcare depending on their income. The level of help obviously goes down the more you earn.

Dreams are there to be had and after all of the hype on UK tv I dont blame you for having a good look around.

It is the land of opportunity and for all of the people that want to focus on the hard times then let rip with all you have got.

There is good and bad worldwide but somehow the 22 million people that live here manage to stay alive depsite that spiders, sharks, snakes, scorpions etc....
Old May 15th 2012, 11:19 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Good luck to you.

Loads of people will tell you how you are entitled to nothing.

Fact is when we emigrated one of the things that immigration advised us to do was register with centre link to get our child in the system so any future childcare help we were entitled to would come our way.

We were immediately entitled to part A family assistance and because we were renting we also qualified for rental assistance due to low earnings in our first year. I elected to claim nothing as I did not want anything however after my first tax returns were submitted we were sent a rebate and approximately 35 per cent of our childcare was paid.

Everyone is entitled to help with childcare depending on their income. The level of help obviously goes down the more you earn.

Dreams are there to be had and after all of the hype on UK tv I dont blame you for having a good look around.

It is the land of opportunity and for all of the people that want to focus on the hard times then let rip with all you have got.

There is good and bad worldwide but somehow the 22 million people that live here manage to stay alive depsite that spiders, sharks, snakes, scorpions etc....
Dreams are what we all live on.

Yes I was being a bit curt with my grammar comment but whether or not you like it, it does reflect on a person and MAYBE their grasp of things and how they are then interpreted by potential future employers.

Better life??? Maybe, maybe not but do not have rose tinted spectacles on. There is no escape from reality and no escape from your own issues.
But...............I sense bitterness and resentment, it does not bode well.
Old May 15th 2012, 11:20 am
Social Grenade Thrower

if all u have 2 comment on is the spelling then dont bother too comment please!!! i was using predictive txt on my phone and i set up the thread for advice not comments about the speeling.

Thank you for all the helpful advice it has been a great help x
You have to admit that is funny!!!
Old May 15th 2012, 11:25 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot the dropbears.....
Old May 15th 2012, 11:25 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Hi Keeley

Don't mind the grammar and spelling brigade.

Children attend ELC 3 year old and 4 year old before school

School can start at 5 with Prep proceeding to year 1 at 6

I think its the end of April of the school year which determines the cut off:
ie if your child turns 5 after April they must wait until the next year.
Some parents make the decision to hold back their children so they are not the youngest in the class (social maturity being more important than pushing children to keep up with the joneses)

There is small govt assistance for lower to medium income earners to help with childcare. But dont underestimate the issue of no family help for childcare.

Lots of planning ahead for you .... Good Luck
What is that and what state is that in?????

We had our son in Long Day Care (LDC) prior to school and then he went into Year K (Kindergarden) when he started school. We took the decision, as you correctly pointed out, to keep him back a year due to social maturity. He was , and is , very clever but we were concerned about his social grouping skills. In retrospect, we should of put him in when he was eligible as he got bored halfway through last year of LDC and needed stimulation. But hey, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Old May 15th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paddyo
You have to admit that is funny!!!
You have got me there....did make me smile.

Dont really understand the resentment part though if your comment was aimed at my post...I am as happy as larry.
Old May 15th 2012, 11:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

You have got me there....did make me smile.

Dont really understand the resentment part though if your comment was aimed at my post...I am as happy as larry.
No, it was not aimed at your post at all. Just the OP, I have seen very similar postings about 'escaping' and also the tone of language is very familiar. Hoping I am wrong!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.