Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore weather with a one yr old?????????

Wikiposts

Singapore weather with a one yr old?????????

Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

sunny_samantha is on a distinguished road
Default Singapore weather with a one yr old?????????

Hi
I've just done a search and couldn't find the real answer to this one...I know obviously that it is hot in Singapore, but what I want to know is how hot is it for a one year old child? Has anyone taken a child of this age to Australia via Singapore and was it ok or is it better to fly on direct to Adelaide? We'd prefer to stopover if it is a sensible option but we can't get straight answer. I know you need vaccinations for Singapore but our doctor has advised us that our son should not have them because of his age and would love anyone's views on this also. He did say that so long as our son didn't drink the water or eat the food then we'd be fine. Really starting to panic about this and would love to hear from someone who's been in the same situation.
Thanks millions for any advice
Susan
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:21 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore weather with a one yr old?????????

Originally posted by sunny_samantha
Hi
I've just done a search and couldn't find the real answer to this one...I know obviously that it is hot in Singapore, but what I want to know is how hot is it for a one year old child? Has anyone taken a child of this age to Australia via Singapore and was it ok or is it better to fly on direct to Adelaide? We'd prefer to stopover if it is a sensible option but we can't get straight answer. I know you need vaccinations for Singapore but our doctor has advised us that our son should not have them because of his age and would love anyone's views on this also. He did say that so long as our son didn't drink the water or eat the food then we'd be fine. Really starting to panic about this and would love to hear from someone who's been in the same situation.
Susan
Susan
Singapore is a very modern country. It is mostly city and has very high standards.
Most innoculations are not necessary if you are not stopping long. Use bottled water and eat in your hotel if you are bothered.
Shame though because the 'food halls' are wonderful and cheap.
It will be warm and sometimes a bit humid but most places have A/C. It is cerainly not as hot as Adelaide will be in the summer
:scared:
Singapore is very safe and very modern

Enjoy

G
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Grayling
Susan
Singapore is a very modern country. It is mostly city and has very high standards.
Most innoculations are not necessary if you are not stopping long. Use bottled water and eat in your hotel if you are bothered.
Shame though because the 'food halls' are wonderful and cheap.
It will be warm and sometimes a bit humid but most places have A/C. It is cerainly not as hot as Adelaide will be in the summer
:scared:
Singapore is very safe and very modern

Enjoy

G
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
We really want to get out and enjoy the country, but realise woth a one year old that our options may be limited. We just don't want to be selfish and take him there if it wouldn't be a good idea for him.. Really glad that someone backs up our doctors view that the vacs are unnecessary for him. It's the humidity level that worried us also. We'll be (fingers crossed as all relies on our hoiuse that is sold STC) arriving in August so hopefully he can get used to teh heat in Adelaide gradually.
Thanks again for a reassuring reply.
Susan
p.s. I'm just a paranoid mum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 10:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks for the reply.
We really want to get out and enjoy the country, but realise woth a one year old that our options may be limited. We just don't want to be selfish and take him there if it wouldn't be a good idea for him.. Really glad that someone backs up our doctors view that the vacs are unnecessary for him. It's the humidity level that worried us also. We'll be (fingers crossed as all relies on our hoiuse that is sold STC) arriving in August so hopefully he can get used to teh heat in Adelaide gradually.
Thanks again for a reassuring reply.
Susan
p.s. I'm just a paranoid mum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Susan
Unfortunately there is very little 'country' left in Singapore. It is more like a Big shopping mall with a few parks.
Sentosa is worth a visit but don't expect much jungle
Most problems that can occurr are due to the heat and poor hygiene but many people complain that Singapore is too sanitised. I believe that is only just becoming legal to chew chewing gum for fear it will get on the pavements.
The food is wonderful but avoid the street corner food stands if you are bothered.
The food halls on Orchard street are a must. Just don't let your baby eat there if you are worried. That does not stop you though! Look under most shopping malls on Orchard road and you will find a food hall.
Beer is cheaper in the halls as well
Can be expensive in a lot of places.
You must also eat at the Boatwharf. I have done it many times and have survived.

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 14th 2004, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Grayling
Susan
Unfortunately there is very little 'country' left in Singapore. It is more like a Big shopping mall with a few parks.
Sentosa is worth a visit but don't expect much jungle
Most problems that can occurr are due to the heat and poor hygiene but many people complain that Singapore is too sanitised. I believe that is only just becoming legal to chew chewing gum for fear it will get on the pavements.
The food is wonderful but avoid the street corner food stands if you are bothered.
The food halls on Orchard street are a must. Just don't let your baby eat there if you are worried. That does not stop you though! Look under most shopping malls on Orchard road and you will find a food hall.
Beer is cheaper in the halls as well
Can be expensive in a lot of places.
You must also eat at the Boatwharf. I have done it many times and have survived.

Best wishes

G
Thanks millions again!
Looking foreward to going there - my husband can't wait to enjoy the beer!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will try The Boatwharf if we can find it
Susan
Old Jun 14th 2004, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Thanks millions again!
Looking foreward to going there - my husband can't wait to enjoy the beer!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will try The Boatwharf if we can find it
Susan
Boat Quay (boat wharf) has lots of eating places, but compared to where the locals eat, they are very expensive.

Take hubby to the New Asia bar (71st floor, stamford hotel), the beer there is cheapish (ny singapore standards), but the view is outstanding
Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Hi
Susan

Don't worry too much about the weather in Singapore!

Yes it is HOT........but frankly speaking, you can just pop into an airconditoned environment just about anywhere in Singapore.

Just drink loads of water, use sun cream, wear light clothing and you'll all be fine!

I agree about the food halls in Singapore......the best!

Enjoy your stop over!

Cheers
Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:38 pm
rudo1ph

Hi

We lived in Singapore......my children were 6, 3 and 8 months when we were first there.

I agree - vaccines are unecessary. OK, so yes, it's hot, but if it's only for a few days then enjoy it!!! We lived without aircon for the whole time we were there - we used fans. However, as a tourist who is in and out in a few days I would not advise that, we had chance to acclimatise!! Your biggest difficulty, unless you hire a car will be getting around with a baby. Taxi drivers are MAD and they do not have baby seats - I guess you need to decide whether you are prepared to have your baby on your lap.

There is not a huge amount to see - Sentosa is ok as someone else mentioned, but the beach is horrible - the only thing worth doing is the musical fountains - evening show with lights and sound.

The night Safari is great - up next to the zoo (also worth a visit). The Bird Park out at Jurong is also worth a visit.......however, I was doing all these activities with children.

High tea at Raffles and a Singapore Sling is fun (all I ate was the fresh raspberries when I went!!!! )

Hope you enjoy your time there

Rudi

Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:42 pm
rudo1ph

PS

DON'T WEAR A SKIRT!!!!! I learned this very quickly - and if you do, put talcum powder (is that spelled right - it looks wrong!!) on your legs so they don't stick together. If you are walking around all day it can be very uncomfortable!!! :scared:

Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:11 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi
Susan
I lived and worked in sing for just over 5 years. I can't comment on tourists to be honest to you, and how they cope. (just that you can spot them a mile off ) I've two set's of parents.. both which came to visit me. .. one could not cope the other loved it.

But I will say this regarding kids, every expat I knew.. ie even if they only just landed there.. the kids cope with the heat/humidity. Young children are a lot betting coping than adults.

I really can't comment on other people.Personally I find Australia cold in the winters, and I laugh when they talk about humidity during the summers here (what you have to remember is I came directy from Sing where I was for little over 5 years to here in Aus) But my husband is one of the moaners... he can't stand humidity, never could.. even in Singapore... each person is so very different.

I also laugh when people also mention there's nothing abut Sentosa there.. try places like pulau ubin( not recommended for kids though)

Don't worry about it.. kids get on with things,, they cope just fine - weather included.. it's just adults who have a hard time coping with changes in the weather

As for vacinations, and drinking bottled water.. forget it.

The tap water is clean, malaria is almost unheard of.. dengue fever now and again they have an outbreak ( I actually had a mild case of dengue fever myself.. not nice!, and one of my friends had a a really bad case.. he was in hospital with it for a couple weeks)

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 14th 2004 at 6:29 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 6:12 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Endorse all said: Singapore is a modern city, far cleaner and more up to date than any in the UK for example.

Everything is air conditioned and your biggest worry will be hypothermia!

Taxis to and from the airport are cheap and safe.

For excellent discounts on hotels try www.planetholiday.com. I normally get 50% discounts due to my ex-job but they undercut me by another 50% half the time!
Old Jun 14th 2004, 7:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally posted by Rog Williams
Endorse all said: Singapore is a modern city, far cleaner and more up to date than any in the UK for example.

Everything is air conditioned and your biggest worry will be hypothermia!

Taxis to and from the airport are cheap and safe.

For excellent discounts on hotels try www.planetholiday.com. I normally get 50% discounts due to my ex-job but they undercut me by another 50% half the time!
If you travel with Singapore airlines they do a stopover package. This includes subsidised hotels, Transport to and from airport,free tour bus and discount tickets to most attractions.
Check with the airline or your travel agent.

G
Old Jun 15th 2004, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again for all your replies.

Looking forward to our stopover. We are hoping to book our tickets in a few days with Singapore Airlines so will check outthe deals.

Thanks

Susan