Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore warning

Singapore warning

Old Dec 15th 2004, 8:18 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Singapore warning

I've just found out you need at least 6 months on your passport to enter Singapore. I blame the travel agent for not telling me.

Our kids have those 5 year kids passports and they expire in March so I've had to do some last minute changes, cancelling our stopover on the way out, (costing 200 dolars in lost hotel rooms.) Booking an appointment to get the passports renewed in Livrpool (over £200 for the over the counter service).

I'm dreading the passports not geting renewed because of some technicality, for a start they wouldn't book me in because I don't live in the UK, they told me I had to have a UK address, so I gave them my parent's address. Next they want 2 forms of ID with that address on it! Eventually they said my Aussie drivers license and a utility bill would do, but I don't believe them.

The problem is, if they don't renew the passports apparently they won't even let you transit in Singapore to Australia with less than 6 months to expiry. The difference this time being that we are going to Australia on British passports whereas the UK leg we are going "home".

And to top it off I've got the stress of expecting to not be allowed to board the final Singapore to Perth flight because the kids visas will be in expired passports. I know that the sticker can be in an old passport but all it takes is an inexperienced check in person...

I'm going to try to extend the stopover on the return by 2 days to make up for it but all in all it's going to cost me in the region of 900 dollars.
Old Dec 15th 2004, 9:37 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Singapore warning

There are a few countries that have a 6 month passport requirement. I always renew between a year an 6 months of expiry.
Old Dec 15th 2004, 10:38 pm
Go Banana's !!

Sorry to pee on your bonfire but this is quite common for many countries.

Hope you get it sorted and good luck.

Warren

Old Dec 15th 2004, 11:18 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
There are a few countries that have a 6 month passport requirement. I always renew between a year an 6 months of expiry.

Likewise, I do within 12 months. You get 9 months back of unused passport, so no real loss
Old Dec 16th 2004, 12:39 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by renth
I've just found out you need at least 6 months on your passport to enter Singapore. I blame the travel agent for not telling me.

Our kids have those 5 year kids passports and they expire in March so I've had to do some last minute changes, cancelling our stopover on the way out, (costing 200 dolars in lost hotel rooms.) Booking an appointment to get the passports renewed in Livrpool (over £200 for the over the counter service).

I'm dreading the passports not geting renewed because of some technicality, for a start they wouldn't book me in because I don't live in the UK, they told me I had to have a UK address, so I gave them my parent's address. Next they want 2 forms of ID with that address on it! Eventually they said my Aussie drivers license and a utility bill would do, but I don't believe them.

The problem is, if they don't renew the passports apparently they won't even let you transit in Singapore to Australia with less than 6 months to expiry. The difference this time being that we are going to Australia on British passports whereas the UK leg we are going "home".

And to top it off I've got the stress of expecting to not be allowed to board the final Singapore to Perth flight because the kids visas will be in expired passports. I know that the sticker can be in an old passport but all it takes is an inexperienced check in person...

I'm going to try to extend the stopover on the return by 2 days to make up for it but all in all it's going to cost me in the region of 900 dollars.
A lot of countries are like this
But I agree the travel agent should have told you when she looked at your passport.

But at least you have a passport
And have you seen how much they charge for an aussie passport here ???..$150 plus Priority processing fee $63 !!! thieving sods

They should be giving them away! It's not as if I want one , I'm quite happy to travel on my British one

My fault, I should have got one months ago, but I wasn't planning on going home for christmas.

Why don't you check with the British commission here and see if they can rush you a new passport in time, (that's if you are not flying out the weekend) instead of cancelling your stop over.

If it's anything like the Austalian lot, there is a priority service ( within 48 hours - working days)

http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/passportsdefault.asp

I still haven't done mine ( the PO closed two minutes to 5! They are supposed to close at 5pm.. slacking off!) I swear I don't want to get on this plane lol. I'll be trying today, if it's too late it's too late. I'll worry about it when I'm in the UK, and get one there.

Last edited by Ceri; Dec 16th 2004 at 12:45 am.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 1:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies.

We are flying straight through, no stopover but I have extended our stopover on the way back to 4 nights. Hopefully there won't be any hiccups at the Liverpool passport office about renewing the kids passports otherwise we will be in the shit.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 1:56 am
(It's not my real name)

Does anyone know what will happen if they don't renew our UK passports (for whatever reason) and we have to fly straight back to Australia without a stopeover in Singapore? Will Australian immigration let us in if the passports have less than 6 months on them, despite the fact we all have Permanent Residency visas?

I'm panicking a bit right now, can you tell?
Old Dec 16th 2004, 2:07 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Does anyone know what will happen if they don't renew our UK passports (for whatever reason) and we have to fly straight back to Australia without a stopeover in Singapore? Will Australian immigration let us in if the passports have less than 6 months on them, despite the fact we all have Permanent Residency visas?

Hi, I don't know, but don't panic!

I'm not sure, but I believe Australia also requires 6 months validity on the passport (I'll try and confirm this for you). However, everything I've heard about the L'pool office is good (you might have to queue, but you will get your passport sorted).

Last edited by mlbonner; Dec 16th 2004 at 3:45 am.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 2:09 am
antonio_dpo

antonio_dpo is an unknown quantity at this point

with a bit of luck you can stay in Oz and you wont have to go back to the ****in uk
Old Dec 16th 2004, 2:12 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by antonio_dpo
with a bit of luck you can stay in Oz and you wont have to go back to the ****in uk
I'm more worried about the opposite.

Anyway, I've just rung DIMIA up and it doesn't matter if the passport is due to expire soon with a PR, it's visitors visas that they are concerned about.
Old Dec 16th 2004, 2:14 am
part-time Visa Angel!

I'm more worried about the opposite.

Anyway, I've just rung DIMIA up and it doesn't matter if the passport is due to expire soon with a PR, it's visitors visas that they are concerned about.

Yep, just searched out the link on their website for you
http://www.immi.gov.au/facts/95documents.htm#1
Old Dec 16th 2004, 3:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
This problem is going to become more significant as more and more countries (including the UK) move to issuing passports valid for 5 years only.

It will take either an international agreement to fix, or alternatively the SE Asian countries may change their rules if they feel it's bad for the tourist industry and/or their airlines.

Jeremy
Old Dec 16th 2004, 3:46 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

With PR visas you definitely don't need 6 months validity.

However it's not possible to fly back to Australia from the UK without stopping *somewhere*. Sometimes passport rules are not as strict if you are just transiting and not passing through immigration, but this varies from country to country - you need to check.

The travel agent should have been on the case from the start - it's hardly rocket science to advise customers on passport and visa requirements for all countries on the itinerary and travel agents ought to be right on top of these.

Jeremy
Old Dec 16th 2004, 4:01 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by JAJ
With PR visas you definitely don't need 6 months validity.

The travel agent should have been on the case from the start - it's hardly rocket science to advise customers on passport and visa requirements for all countries on the itinerary and travel agents ought to be right on top of these.

Jeremy
Well, it was buried in the "blurb" so I guess I don't really have much of a leg to stand on, but they should have actually mentioned it to me, not just got me to sign about 2 pages of fine print.