Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore Stopover - Shopping

Singapore Stopover - Shopping

Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

rich4efc will become famous soon enough
Default Singapore Stopover - Shopping

We're going to stop over in Singapore on our way to Oz & my question is this, are there any good cheap tailors in Singapore, similar to those in Hong Kong?

The reason I ask is that I was going to buy a new suit in the UK before leaving but having seen several travel shows, where people have great quality suits knocked up in a couple of hours for a fraction of the UK cost I wondered if it's worth waiting until I get to Singapore.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Rich
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:06 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore Stopover - Shopping

have you tried googling?

Just for reference my 2 penneth on suits

hugo boss suits are 1000$ AU here in Myers, you can get them in a few outlets as well for about same price. There is a shop in brisbane that does them for 699$ ;-)

Pierre Cardin suits are about 500$ ( yeuch)

Aussie brand suits go from 250$->600$

They're the same material as marks & sparks,

Marks & sparks has better range and quality - if you need work suits you'd be as well to get them in UK (well one or 2).

If you like nice shirts like Trywhitt & Co then bring them with you, they do exist but they are 150-200$ and hard to find. Van Heusen is very common here at about 40-150$ .
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rich4efc
We're going to stop over in Singapore on our way to Oz & my question is this, are there any good cheap tailors in Singapore, similar to those in Hong Kong?

The reason I ask is that I was going to buy a new suit in the UK before leaving but having seen several travel shows, where people have great quality suits knocked up in a couple of hours for a fraction of the UK cost I wondered if it's worth waiting until I get to Singapore.

Rich
I have been to singapore twice and found the shopping very expensive. Not 100% on suits though
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice Spalen.

It's suits for work that I am after, something a little lighter than the ones I already have for the warmer climate. It's just that I've seen several travel shows where blokes have had made-to measure suits knocked up in a couple of hours in Hong Kong, made from superb materials. I thought there may be some back-street tailor in Singapore doing the same sort of thing
Old Aug 16th 2005, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

skyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud ofskyblue has much to be proud of
Default A scouser in a suit ?

The accused.

sorry m8 couldn't resist
Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:11 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice Spalen.

It's suits for work that I am after, something a little lighter than the ones I already have for the warmer climate. It's just that I've seen several travel shows where blokes have had made-to measure suits knocked up in a couple of hours in Hong Kong, made from superb materials. I thought there may be some back-street tailor in Singapore doing the same sort of thing
I was wondering exactly the same thing- my hubbie wants to get a suit made to measure in lighter fabric - we though that this was cheap in Singapore.

Lynn
Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A scouser in a suit ?

My hubby had suits made there when we lived there, " Holland village shopping centre " ( take a taxi to it or the 106, 7, 77 buses)I think its 2nd floor- their 3rd fl.- Roys the tailors- I've just ironed a shirt he had made there 3 yrs ago and its still as good as new. He buys top quality material and supplies it to the Orchard road tailors in the big hotels who then charge big time.
Roy : his email is [email protected]
web www.roysmaster.com
tel: 4679285
you need a good few days for him to make things, he is not a one day tailor like in Bangkok or HK. Or send him your measurements and he can have the item ready for your first fitting.
The other well known place is in Tanglin shopping centre. Ground floor as we know it- their 1 st fl. very popular with the Americans and tourists.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

Lol It's for when my shell suit is in the wash
Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:53 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helinuk
My hubby had suits made there when we lived there, " Holland village shopping centre " ( take a taxi to it or the 106, 7, 77 buses)I think its 2nd floor- their 3rd fl.- Roys the tailors- I've just ironed a shirt he had made there 3 yrs ago and its still as good as new. He buys top quality material and supplies it to the Orchard road tailors in the big hotels who then charge big time.
Roy : his email is [email protected]
web www.roysmaster.com
tel: 4679285
you need a good few days for him to make things, he is not a one day tailor like in Bangkok or HK. Or send him your measurements and he can have the item ready for your first fitting.
The other well known place is in Tanglin shopping centre. Ground floor as we know it- their 1 st fl. very popular with the Americans and tourists.
Thanks for the reccomendations - will 4 nights be enough to get a suit made at Roys?

Incidentally what type of suits are men wearing in the city in Brisbane? My hubbie is a design engineer and would like a suit in light fabric for when he is job hunting and going for interviews - we are not really sure what men wear in the city office environment?

Lynn
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:14 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Rich
hi rich been to singapore a few times try having a look at the tailors on arab street very good reputation on there
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:17 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

What about electronics in Singapore, is that also expensive?
I was hoping to pick up a Sony PSP on my stopover.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Thanks for the reccomendations - will 4 nights be enough to get a suit made at Roys?

Incidentally what type of suits are men wearing in the city in Brisbane? My hubbie is a design engineer and would like a suit in light fabric for when he is job hunting and going for interviews - we are not really sure what men wear in the city office environment?

Lynn
I'll PM you.
Why not email Roy. He's a good guy- he'll be straight with you. If he's up to his eyes in expat ball gowns and suits and too busy like he was when I popped into see him in January he'll tell you, he's not into saying he can do it when he can't.
I can't help with Brisbane fashion except that my hubby would wear long sleeved shirts in offices that were air con. in OZ . perhaps when the Aussies wake up they can help you
Helen