Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore stopover - help running out of time

Singapore stopover - help running out of time

Old Aug 7th 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Singapore stopover - help running out of time

Thanks to Singaporeair's useless online booking we are left without a package as planned for just over a weeks time as we are MBTUK with 3 weeks notice I don't have much spare time for research.

Can anyone suggest a hotel suitable as a base - doesn't need to be fancy just friendly, convenient and clean and not too pricey.

I've heard left luggage might be a problem? We are planning to check out normal time but onwards flight isn't til late evening - what should we do with suitcases? Leave them at airport or will the hotel look after them? How easy is getting around and airport transfer?

Also we have an evening, a full day and pretty much all the next day to explore. Ideas for family with 3 boys 8,11,and 13yrs? Universal I'm assuming as they haven't done many theme parks and love them but what else?

Ta from

Manic and stressed Safin
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

shycouple2009 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Singapore stopover - help running out of time

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attract...Singapore.html
Old Aug 7th 2013, 3:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Some hotel suggestions here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784650
Old Aug 7th 2013, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

The zoo's night safari was pretty good if you have an evening to spare.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Taken a look at all the suggestions in this link - either unavailable or out of our price range - there's 5 of us. Maybe I should have said cheap rather than not too pricey

My blind faith in Singapore air has been completely shattered by this - they are failing repeatedly to phone me back/email or help me sort this and its all their fault...
Old Aug 7th 2013, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

We did a 2 day stopover in Singapore on the way out to Aus- took the luggage with us to the hotel- 9 bags between 3 of us, including hand luggage. Then just re-check them in when you go back to the airport. (Hotel looked after them until noon.)
Old Aug 7th 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Can anyone help me with areas to stay in - or not to - so I can narrow the search a little. Thinking we want to get to universal and the night zoo and then just get a flavour of the city on our last day without too much walking and older kid friendly.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 12:04 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
Thanks to Singaporeair's useless online booking we are left without a package as planned for just over a weeks time as we are MBTUK with 3 weeks notice I don't have much spare time for research.

Can anyone suggest a hotel suitable as a base - doesn't need to be fancy just friendly, convenient and clean and not too pricey.

I've heard left luggage might be a problem? We are planning to check out normal time but onwards flight isn't til late evening - what should we do with suitcases? Leave them at airport or will the hotel look after them? How easy is getting around and airport transfer?

Also we have an evening, a full day and pretty much all the next day to explore. Ideas for family with 3 boys 8,11,and 13yrs? Universal I'm assuming as they haven't done many theme parks and love them but what else?

Ta from

Manic and stressed Safin
The Fairmont is very good, and in a very central location. You could try the Chijmes complex for some great food and that's a short walk from the Fairmont. Also there is an open top bus tour of the city, plus the zoo and also the Changi WWII prison tour if you're interested in history. Don't forget to go and buy a Singapore Sling in the Long Bar at Raffles - it's a cheesy rite of passage for trips to the city.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We had a (very basic) Singapore Airlines stopover a couple of months ago on the way to the UK.

They put us in the Grand Pacific Hotel. It was not expensive (for Singapore hotels) and was pretty central, not far from Raffles.

It wasn't the poshest hotel we've stayed in but it was quite adequate. Clean and very friendly. Had a pool.

http://www.hotelgrandpacific.com.sg
Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

as far as i can tell the actual singaporeair stopovers are totally unavailable unless we have over $600 a night to spare - which we don't. On one of the occasions I got somewhere on the phone they managed to tell me all the lower prices were sold out even though the website says available til you try to book it.

Doing it all separately is going to cost a fortune extra too - wish I had listened to OH and flown straight through now - it was supposed to be a no stress mini break after the chaos here. LOL

Thanks everyone for trying though, really appreciate the support. Packing up, selling house at last minute, sorting the dog out to fly and now this is getting to me.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:14 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

as far as i can tell the actual singaporeair stopovers are totally unavailable unless we have over $600 a night to spare - which we don't. On one of the occasions I got somewhere on the phone they managed to tell me all the lower prices were sold out even though the website says available til you try to book it.

Doing it all separately is going to cost a fortune extra too - wish I had listened to OH and flown straight through now - it was supposed to be a no stress mini break after the chaos here. LOL

Thanks everyone for trying though, really appreciate the support. Packing up, selling house at last minute, sorting the dog out to fly and now this is getting to me.
We also had a few issues with Singapore Airlines last time we used them, so we're thinking about trying another route next time, perhaps HK with Cathay.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 1:16 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The South East Asia Hotel is old and basic but very clean and central. It is also ultra cheap
Old Aug 8th 2013, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

as far as i can tell the actual singaporeair stopovers are totally unavailable unless we have over $600 a night to spare - which we don't.
I wasn't suggesting a Singapore stopover - I was just suggesting the Grand Pacific Hotel.

You can book directly with the hotel. Rooms can be had for S$168 ($147) a night which is not too bad for a central hotel in Singapore.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Grand Pacific are quoting 500SGD online each per and we need 2 rooms. No availability for Southeast asia.

Its a conspiracy ahhhhh. The whole package incl transfers and attractions with SIA was going to be no more than 655aud
Old Aug 8th 2013, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

We used to live in Singapore, and my husband goes back frequently on business. He generally stays at Hotel Ibis on Bencoolen Street to save his company money, and he wouldn't if it wasn't fine. Hotels will generally store your baggage, but there's a left luggage office at the airport too. We left some stuff there a few weeks ago (on a 1-day stopover) and it was about $10 per day per bag.

Getting round by taxi is easy and quite cheap, but with 5 people you'd need 2 taxis. Hotel is walking distance to Little India (interesting for a flavour of Singapore) and the river (restaurants etc.). AS well as Universal Studios, there's a fair bit to do on Sentosa. I've not been to Universal, but apparently there are often long queues, but you can buy a queue jumping ticket.

Last edited by Family of 3; Aug 8th 2013 at 3:34 am. Reason: Clarification

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.