Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore Stopover

Singapore Stopover

Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:36 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice
Default Singapore Stopover

Hello All,

We're off to Brisbane probably 7th October, we wanted to break the trip with a stopover in Singapore. I notice Singapore Airlines do offers on hotels and attractions when booking with them. Can anyone recommend a hotel?

We are looking for something clean and OK for kids (9, 7 and 2), with a pool to lounge around (when we are not sightseeing!). It would be nice (and cheaper)to all stay in the one room so anyone that's done this with a youngish family, your suggestions will be welcome. Oh, and what are the must do attractions as we only have 4 days.

Many thanks.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Singapore Stopover

Originally Posted by Plug
Hello All,

We're off to Brisbane probably 7th October, we wanted to break the trip with a stopover in Singapore. I notice Singapore Airlines do offers on hotels and attractions when booking with them. Can anyone recommend a hotel?

We are looking for something clean and OK for kids (9, 7 and 2), with a pool to lounge around (when we are not sightseeing!). It would be nice (and cheaper)to all stay in the one room so anyone that's done this with a youngish family, your suggestions will be welcome. Oh, and what are the must do attractions as we only have 4 days.

Many thanks.
We are staying at the Oriental, part of the mandarin group... it has just been refurbished, on the marina and not bad on price, there are 4 of us.. haven't stayed there before but has a good write up on www.tripadvisor.com

Good luck
Old Aug 1st 2005, 6:09 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

We are staying in Raffles The plaza - again it gets excellent reviews in tripadvisor - if you book a premier deluxe room in the South tower (South has been refurbished) North tower gets mixed reviews for the standard of the standard rooms. We booked the South tower which sounds beautiful! It has a shopping centre below it, rail links and millions of restaurants - it also has a huge pool area.

You can book through Singapore airlines but we booked through Expedia.com as it was cheaper and we wanted an upgrade room - I think Singapore airlines only offer standard rooms.

Lynn
Old Aug 1st 2005, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

tooter is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the must do attractions is the Zoo in Singapore, its absolutely fantastic, like no other zoo I've been to. The kids would love it.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:56 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooter
One of the must do attractions is the Zoo in Singapore, its absolutely fantastic, like no other zoo I've been to. The kids would love it.
The zoo is at its best at night when the most of the animals are awake. A train takes you around and you can hop on and off.

Sentosa Island is worth a day trip at least (where the locals go on holiday) and China Town / Little India are well worth seeing.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:12 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by worzel
The zoo is at its best at night when the most of the animals are awake. A train takes you around and you can hop on and off.

Sentosa Island is worth a day trip at least (where the locals go on holiday) and China Town / Little India are well worth seeing.
Didn't realise that the night zoo and the day zoo were the same place - is it worth visiting day and night? Me and my hubbie really enjoy going round the zoo.

Definatly going to take day trip to Sentosa too - sounds lovely,

Thanks

Lynn
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:38 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Didn't realise that the night zoo and the day zoo were the same place - is it worth visiting day and night? Me and my hubbie really enjoy going round the zoo.

Definatly going to take day trip to Sentosa too - sounds lovely,

Thanks

Lynn
I just checked on the Net and they are definitely the same place. It is quite a long way out of the city (I didn't realise Singapore was that big!) but it wasn't expensive in a taxi. I definitely recommend doing it at night as all the animals were active.
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:39 pm
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice
Talking Re: Singapore Stopover

Thanks to all, just bumping to catch some other opinions on hotels etc...
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

AnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant futureAnitaB has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Singapore Stopover

Hello All,

Many thanks.
We are staying at the Phoenix hotel on Orchard Road close to everything and a friend said they were great we also managed to get a family room 2 adults and kids 9,7 & 2 for 188.00SGD this does not include service charge of 4.53SGD but still cheap at half the price

Hope this helps
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

MummyKarin is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Singapore Stopover

Hello All,

Many thanks.
We lived in Singapore for 3 years and it is a fab city -my two girls were born there.
Re Attractions: You must try zoo - the day and night zoo are at the same location just different entrances. I would suggest going at night, not only because it is very special, but also because it gets very hot during the day, so you might enjoy the cooler evening.
Sentosa, also lovely, but very commercial. The dolphin show was quite good.
I would also recommend going to the East Coast to the beach. It is not particularly clean, but there is a breeze, and it is very relaxing.
If you are there on a Sunday, check out the free concerts at the botanical gardens. Check with the hotel or touris info if there are any on while you are there. You can go to Cold Storage (supermarket) in the Tanglin Mall, just across from the Botanical Gardens, get sandwich etc for a picnic and enjoy an afternoon in the Botanical Gardens.
Re getting around. Be aware that it can be difficult with a buggy sometimes, especially if you have a large buggy - lots of stairs.
The taxis are relatively cheap and easy to get.
Re the heat - it is very humid - go local and go out during the morning and late afternoon and chill out by the pool or indoors during the middle of the day.
I wish you all the best for your visit to Singapore and for your new life in Australia. We are planning to go next year in July, am really excited. We have got the visa, but are just saving up a little more..
Best wishes from MummyKarin
Old Aug 3rd 2005, 10:16 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

You have to book with the zoo, but you can take the kids for a buffet brekkie at the zoo, at the end of the brekkie they bring in animals for a photo opportunity with the kiddies, including orang-utans !!
I have not checked but I have been told that the kids can also ride on an elephant

Carole