Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore stop-over with kids

Singapore stop-over with kids

Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

WhiteRose is on a distinguished road
Question Singapore stop-over with kids

Looking for some advice regarding our upcoming trip back to the UK.

It's the first time that we've ventured back to the UK since having kids, and we are stopping over in Singapore (both ways).

Previously, we'd just grabbed a taxi from Changi to the hotel, but with two small kids (5 & 3), I'm not sure it's the safest way to get them around - I've had some interesting taxi rides in Singapore.

So, my question is, what would people recommend as the best form of airport transport in Singapore when travelling with small(ish) children?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:25 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore stop-over with kids

Originally Posted by WhiteRose
Looking for some advice regarding our upcoming trip back to the UK.

It's the first time that we've ventured back to the UK since having kids, and we are stopping over in Singapore (both ways).

Previously, we'd just grabbed a taxi from Changi to the hotel, but with two small kids (5 & 3), I'm not sure it's the safest way to get them around - I've had some interesting taxi rides in Singapore.

So, my question is, what would people recommend as the best form of airport transport in Singapore when travelling with small(ish) children?

Thanks in advance.
If travelling with Singapore airlines then check out the SIA stopover scheme....they arrange sudsidised hotels, shuttle bus, discounts and free hop on and off sight seeing bus
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
If travelling with Singapore airlines then check out the SIA stopover scheme....they arrange sudsidised hotels, shuttle bus, discounts and free hop on and off sight seeing bus
Here is a link:

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/sp...s/landingpage/
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the suggestion. We are flying Singapore Airlines, however, the stop-over deal wasn't an option as it's a black-out week due to the Singapore Grand Prix being in town
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:59 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I can't think of a better/safer way than a taxi, scary as you may find them.

You may feel safer in one of the white Mercs, for which you'll pay a premium and probably find the boot space is not so good if you have a lot of luggage.

Alternatively try to get a maxicab http://www.limousinecab.com/singapore/maxi-cab/ and maybe book it in advance.

Actually looking on that site there are a lot more options than when I lived there, so have a look and see what suits http://www.limousinecab.com/

I hope you have your hotels booked!
Old Aug 21st 2011, 12:25 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhiteRose

Thanks in advance.
pre-book a white merc if you dont like the red-taxis - red taxis are mostly fine, you must do seatbelt up its the law . The only cars that charge you more in Singapore are the Black Chrysler for some reason they're allowed to charge more ( all the merc drivers were pretty pissy about it :-) )

or get the MRT(underground)- the airport station from T3 goes all the way to city in air conditioned comfort for 5$ or so - takes about 20mins I think - check out the MRT map. The Merc is about 50 from memory but may be 70 I cant recall honestly even though it was only 2 weeks ago :-0 - Shame on me but Ive never used MRT until this last trip despite spending months and months and months in singapore - its a revelation in ease/comfort/aircon and ridiculously cheap.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies.

Has anyone used thes guys - http://www.viator.com/Singapore-tour...rs/d18-g15-c52
Old Aug 21st 2011, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

You do pay more for the white Mercs than the ordinary cabs which really annoys me when it's the next one in line! I was very brave at the airport this year and said we'd wait for the ordinary ones...

In all my trips to Singapore I've only ever been ripped off once by a cab and one very interesting ride to the airport. He evidently didn't want to go to the airport and it was a bit hairy at times.

We once left our camera bag in the back of a cab fully packed with gear, OH's glasses, phone, wallet and 3 compacts we'd bought for people. We came back with a lot of luggage and the bag had got pushed right to the back of the boot. After massive freak out the airport were fantastic in contacting the cab company and were willing to get the back to us up to the minute of closing doors. Unfortunately they couldn't track the driver down but 4 days later the cab co contacted us to say the bag had been handed in. A Singapore friend picked it up and couriered it to us. Apparently the cab driver was beside himself for not discovering it earlier. It could easily have been taken by another passenger! Now we always get a receipt so we have the cab number on it!!! So Singapore cabbies are not all bad...!!

As the others have said book a private car or there is a cab limo service desk at the arrivals in the airport. I wouldn't fancy going on the MRT with kids and luggage in tow!
Old Aug 21st 2011, 11:28 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

There is a recent thread I've put links on to MRT information so, if you fancy that, do a quick search. Personally I would go for a taxi, especially with little people.

I can't see much difference between your link and what I've posted, so personally I'd go with the local link as I suspect it will be cheaper than anything specifically aimed at tourists.

KK I assumed the OP is more worried about the fact that taxis don't have child seats and rumour has it are not great drivers

Do you pay more for a white merc if it's in the normal taxi queue? I didn't think you did. If you book a taxi on the island and a merc turns up, you shouldn't. Always clarify this before you get in. There was a period a few years ago where merc/limo drivers were touting and trying to fleece people but I know the authorities had a bit of a clamp-down.

I'm very out of touch, I didn't know there are Black Chryslers! Have been getting the usual crappy old blue things every time I've passed through.

Singapore taxi drivers are normally very honest and good people; I miss them, if not their driving. They need their jobs too much to steal from passengers - my in-laws once had their camera returned before they'd even realised they'd left it in the car, and to do this the driver had had to go back round the one-way system, park up (not easy in Geylang) and knock at our door. Things are more likely to be taken by other passengers - especially phones they can quickly stuff in their pockets.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I've paid more at the queues, I think the basic rate is $2.70 and the posh white cabs are $3.20 and there is more cents per k as well, I know my usual trip from the airport is usually $15-18 but in the other cars it's been late 20's...ok not much but a few white cab rides over a few days adds up!

Child seats? Just all squeeze in the back and you'll be fine . Arrive during rush hour and you'll be crawling into town so no need to worry about going fast!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Seasider
I hope you have your hotels booked!
Good point

I would imagine that all the hotels will be sold out for the Grand Prix.....or, if not, the prices will be sky high
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:57 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by Grayling
Good point

I would imagine that all the hotels will be sold out for the Grand Prix.....or, if not, the prices will be sky high
They are ridiculous prices. Singapore was very happy, the day the decision was made to bring F1 to town!
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

sue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nicesue1964 is just really nice

Just got back from Singapore id say Taxi or MRT.