Reload this Page >

Singapore to Perth....again

Singapore to Perth....again

Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:56 am
Just Joined

fifmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Singapore to Perth....again

Hi hi,

I'm hoping for feedback from expat families who've moved from Singers to Perth. We're originally from the UK, and have been in Singapore for 5 years. I've been over to Perth quite a bit, and whilst I enjoy being there, I suppose its a bit of a culture shock compared to Singers where there are so many people in such a small place. Our lease is up in March and even though our rent allowance has increased substantially, the rents here have increased astronomically, quite often doubling on lease renewal. I've been looking at new rentals here and it aint pretty. I've seen a school I really like in Perth, am I allowed to mention it by name? We have the option of a 457 or me coming with the kids on a student visa initially and then moving to 457 when the 'head of the household' moves over. Neither of us can make decisions about anything, so any info would be appreciated, and put into the mix.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

inOz2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Singapore to Perth....again

Neither are we from Singapore nor have we moved to Perth yet (visited before though) but these sites may be useful perhaps wrt schools, private vs state etc

http://www.aussiemove.com/city/city.asp?f=2&c=7

http://www.lookatwa.com.au/Community/schools.html
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much, will have a look. We've looked at schools quite few times, and i really liked Murdoch College, the facilities were good, and a big draw was the non-competitive sports policy - neither child is sporty (unless you include WoW or skateboarding). We wouldnt be on an 'expat package' in Perth, so would pay schooling if we chose private, but I feel like I need a dose of reality, as sometimes Singers for me, although there are many many positives to living here, feels like lah lah land. However, I'm sure I'll end up sitting in a corner of the Singapore British Club when I'm 80, telling people 'I'm moving to Perth next year'..............
Old Jan 10th 2008, 12:03 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Hi fifmac - seems it's not just us thinking of escaping the Little Red Dot then. We've nearly clocked up six years; looking at Sydney because my husband has been offered a transfer. We're also indecisive - this is an easy place to live. As is my style, I've made a few lists - For Singapore, Against Singapore, For Sydney...

There is another Brit on here who moved to Sg and then Oz; I know her personally and I'm hoping, when we finally make the decision, she'll have a lot of useful advice. She has kids (we don't) so I'm sure she'll be of help to you too.

Contact me if you'd like her details.

(If, by some chance, you know who I am - I'm a legend in my own lunchtime afterall - please keep this quiet for now. )
Old Jan 10th 2008, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Yep, I've got flip chart sized mind maps of the pros and cons, but at the minute the big thing is the rental market. Why do I want to live in 20 years of someone elses' dirt for 4 times as much as I would pay for a well maintained bigger property in oz? If I could find something decent within a sensible taxi fare distance of town, I think I might manage another year, but its not looking likely. I don't think I know who you are, but can't believe its the first time I've seen that forum, very entertaining. I would have PM'd you but couldn't work out how to do it.......
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:17 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fifmac
...at the minute the big thing is the rental market. Why do I want to live in 20 years of someone elses' dirt for 4 times as much as I would pay for a well maintained bigger property in oz? .......
Oh my god, somebody who understands me! I'm so sick of having to plead with the LL to fix my roof and ask permission to put up a picture. I said to my husband the other day, "I need my own house. I'm a grown-up, not a student".

We're now just comparing the relative career prospects, but also trying to get the work-life balance right and think longer term too.

I'll PM you.