Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines weight allowance.

Singapore airlines weight allowance.

Old May 5th 2004, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

menna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Singapore airlines weight allowance.

Phoned my sister this morning at ten o`clock she had just booked in at heathrow for the twelve o`clock flight to Singapore, She had been told by Singapore airlines that as she was emigrating her baggage allowance could be up to forty two killos,
But when checking in this morning was told by a very nice lady that the Australians had just changed the weight capacity to thirty two killos.
So there is nothing stopping you taking forty two killos to heathrow and have it put on the plane but you will have to pay for the extra weight on the ozzy side, Or as the lady advised my sister buy another case in Singapore and spread the weight about, the only downside with this is they have three large cases to carry and could do without having to struugle with another one.
Or well the joys of emigrating
Old May 6th 2004, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Singapore airlines weight allowance.

Originally posted by menna
Phoned my sister this morning at ten o`clock she had just booked in at heathrow for the twelve o`clock flight to Singapore, She had been told by Singapore airlines that as she was emigrating her baggage allowance could be up to forty two killos,
But when checking in this morning was told by a very nice lady that the Australians had just changed the weight capacity to thirty two killos.
So there is nothing stopping you taking forty two killos to heathrow and have it put on the plane but you will have to pay for the extra weight on the ozzy side, Or as the lady advised my sister buy another case in Singapore and spread the weight about, the only downside with this is they have three large cases to carry and could do without having to struugle with another one.
Or well the joys of emigrating
I take it you mean 32kgs max weight for one suitcase - thus buy another case and spread the weight around, and not there is a 32kgs total max weight for entering Australia ??

Pretty impressive to get 40kgs in one suitcase I would have thought....unless you are carrying bricks !!
Old May 6th 2004, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Gazza is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't really see what difference it makes how many bags you take - your baggage allowance should relate to total weight of bags being checked in.

I obtained an email from someone at Singapore airlines confirming 40kg allowance for my trip from London to Perth (stopover in Singapore). I have this confirmation in writing and I will have it ready for check-in in Singapore.

I'll check the terms & conditions of my booking but the only way in my opinion that this could be reduced if it says 'Singapore airlines reserves the right to make changes to my reservation etc'

If it doesn't say that then there's gonna be a showdown at
check-in.

Gaz
Old May 6th 2004, 9:26 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

32kg has been the max weight for one peice of baggage for several years its all down to health and safety, cos some poor bugger has to throw it around before it gets on the plane
Old May 6th 2004, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by biggy
32kg has been the max weight for one peice of baggage for several years its all down to health and safety, cos some poor bugger has to throw it around before it gets on the plane

Thats what I kind of guessed the original point of the thread was. Must be a fair sized case to weigh more than that !!

Just needed someone to confirm there hasn't been a change in allowances overnight
Old May 6th 2004, 9:47 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gazza
Can't really see what difference it makes how many bags you take - your baggage allowance should relate to total weight of bags being checked in.

I obtained an email from someone at Singapore airlines confirming 40kg allowance for my trip from London to Perth (stopover in Singapore). I have this confirmation in writing and I will have it ready for check-in in Singapore.

I'll check the terms & conditions of my booking but the only way in my opinion that this could be reduced if it says 'Singapore airlines reserves the right to make changes to my reservation etc'

If it doesn't say that then there's gonna be a showdown at
check-in.

Gaz
Dont worry about it Gazza, it hasn't changed..............the bags dont get weighed when they arrive at Oz....but if the baggage handlers go to lift one and think it is over the 32kg they will way it, and the person will be charged for having the "OVER 32KG" one bag limit. Have a safe trip
Old May 6th 2004, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Slightly off the subject but still related to weight allowance. The airlines are toying with the idea of charging excess baggage for overweight passengers. I'm deadly serious. Their reasoning is that if it is crucial whether you case is 21 kg rather than 20 kg, why shouldn't it be crucial whether you are overweight or not?

If it comes in I would expect the highest 'excess baggage' charges to be on US flights.

OzTennis