Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines vs. Cathay Pacific

Singapore Airlines vs. Cathay Pacific

Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:21 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Singapore Airlines vs. Cathay Pacific

I have a dilemma. I have a choice of flights for our one-way emigration trip for the 4 of us (2 adults & 2 kids - 3 & 4) from London to Melbourne. Here are my options:

Singapore Airlines
A380 (12 hours to Singapore) then Boeing 777 (7 hours to Melbourne)
£2,108 (all in)
2 x 20Kg baggage allowance (as we're emigrating on an unused PR visa)

Cathy Pacific
Boeing 747-400 (11 hours 35 minutes to Hong Koong) then A330 (9 hours 20 minutes to Melbourn)
£1,656 (all-in)
1 x 20Kg baggage allowance only

I think the Singapore Airlines option will be more comfortable because of the planes used and they have a good reputation AND they give us double the baggage allowance BUT are £452 more expensive. As my wife puts it, we can buy a LOT of clothes for £452.

Can anyone offer any advice?

- CDM
Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Singapore Airlines vs. Cathay Pacific

Personally I would go with Singapore Airlines - from past experience i have found them to be a great airline to fly with, and the double baggage allowance is a BIG bonus. £452 would buy you more clothes, but where would you pack them all if you only had 20kg of luggage allowance?!!

Are your flight dates flexiable? Prices fluctuate quite alot as you probably know, so maybe worth waiting a day or two and getting another quote from Singapore airlines for another day? Is this quote direct from Singapore Airlines? Have your tried Lees Travel or Net Flights? they are usually a little cheaper.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

clairey b will become famous soon enoughclairey b will become famous soon enough

Hi

Having just flown with cathay last week and singapore over xmas i would go with singapore. In my opinion they are worth that extra bit of money.

Cathay were great, but i just think singapore have the edge.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

By the way if you do go with singapore make sure you request upstairs seating if you go on the airbus-its alot better and the kids think its great!!

Claire
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairey b
Hi

Having just flown with cathay last week and singapore over xmas i would go with singapore. In my opinion they are worth that extra bit of money.

Cathay were great, but i just think singapore have the edge.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

By the way if you do go with singapore make sure you request upstairs seating if you go on the airbus-its alot better and the kids think its great!!

Claire
"Upstairs seating!"" Now that makes me feel real bad

Kath
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

seat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to allseat151 is a name known to all

I found the seats on Cathay Pacific very uncomfy
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

To me its a no brainer - save the money.
Just flew SQ on the 380 after years with Emirates. Yes its nice but not like moving up to business class - the difference isn't that great - if at all. We only flew SQ because the price for the dates was massively cheaper (50%).
If you need the extra luggage air freight it - it will cost much less than excess baggage.
Yes its a slightly longer flight plus maybe not quite as comfy as SQ (but dont know as haven't flow CX in years) but its $1000 in your pocket and you will get over the flight whoever you choose.
Its economics and only you can answer whats it worth what to you for the luggage and time.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:37 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
"Upstairs seating!"" Now that makes me feel real bad

Kath
You mean there's a downstairs? I thought thats where my suitcases were!
Old Jul 31st 2009, 2:20 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I would check Malaysian prices as they are better than either of them IMO.

G
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by Grayling
I would check Malaysian prices as they are better than either of them IMO.

G
Agree. The only reason we don't use them is Emirates offer better times and LGW for us so...
Old Jul 31st 2009, 3:33 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Thanks to all the respondants. I just booked with Singapore Airlines. In the end, it was just £1,927.

Sadly, there were only a few scattered seats leaft in the upstairs cabin so we're downstairs.

A nice surprise was that there was no surcharge for paying with credit card - which more and more businesses are doing nowadays.

- CDM
Old Jul 31st 2009, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by clairey b
Hi

Claire
Don't say that - i'm upstairs and am hoping to avoid most of the kids by being up there......
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Julie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura aboutJulie9 has a spectacular aura about

We flew Cathay Pacific last year to validate and i couldn't fault them they were great!