British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Singapore Airlines or Emirates - who should we fly with? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/singapore-airlines-emirates-who-should-we-fly-628472/)

bcworld Sep 14th 2009 8:32 am

Re: Singapore Airlines or Emirates - who should we fly with?

Originally Posted by blackbag (Post 7929527)
The A380 from London to Singapore is the best aircraft i have ever been in, However it did make the 747 from singapore to melbourne feel like a cattle truck

The A380 is starting SIN - MEL from 30th Sept according to the billboard I saw at the airport today. :thumbup:

MikeSplicer Sep 14th 2009 8:47 am

Originally Posted by thebooys (Post 7929522)
was it the 30kg of economy baggage or the free golf clubs that clinched it for you..;)

we leave next week, but going to have to struggle with our 20kg with SIA.

Does anybody know what the charges are for extra weight?

bcworld Sep 14th 2009 8:55 am

Originally Posted by MikeSplicer (Post 7929632)

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...gage_zonal.jsp

US$60/kg (UK - Aus)! :eek:

thebooys Sep 14th 2009 8:56 am

Originally Posted by MikeSplicer (Post 7929632)

I think with SIA from LHR it's around £30 per kilo and from Singapore l was told it's around £14 per kilo, however i'm sure there is someone who will have the exact figures for you as mine are from the deep depths of my memory following a phonecall about a month ago.

l was told that if l strayed a little over the 20kg then l should be okay at LHR, so l'm aiming to try and get around 23kg, plus 7kg of hand baggage. :fingerscrossed:

If you are on a PR visa which has not been validated then SIA will give you 40kg l believe.

JCSUPERMOTO Sep 14th 2009 9:05 am

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 7929593)
The A380 is starting SIN - MEL from 30th Sept according to the billboard I saw at the airport today. :thumbup:

Can i change our leg from sing to melly for a A380?:o:rofl:

Centurion Sep 14th 2009 10:46 am

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO (Post 7929665)
Can i change our leg from sing to melly for a A380?:o:rofl:

MEL is now serviced by the A380 on QS228/SQ227 and a B777-300ER on SQ218/217 which both have the new economy class seating so essentially are the same.

SQ238 and SQ237 are operated by a crap old regional config B777-300 still. Avoid this flight.

chilliman Sep 14th 2009 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by thebooys (Post 7929522)
was it the 30kg of economy baggage or the free golf clubs that clinched it for you..;)

we leave next week, but going to have to struggle with our 20kg with SIA.

It was the 30kg plus the free golf clubs plus the flights were cheaper than Singapore!! Booking them this week! :thumbup:

Only question is whether to book single or a return with return for next summer so I can come back & see my partner in the summer? Looking at the cost of booking flights from Oz I think the return is the best option!?

Damson Sep 14th 2009 10:26 pm

Only question is whether to book single or a return with return for next summer so I can come back & see my partner in the summer? Looking at the cost of booking flights from Oz I think the return is the best option!?[/QUOTE]

From what I regularly read on here, flights are much more expensive when booked in Oz, so an open return and then a single back to Oz (booked in the UK) is probably the cheapest option.

chilliman Sep 15th 2009 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Lorrielou (Post 7931365)
Only question is whether to book single or a return with return for next summer so I can come back & see my partner in the summer? Looking at the cost of booking flights from Oz I think the return is the best option!?

From what I regularly read on here, flights are much more expensive when booked in Oz, so an open return and then a single back to Oz (booked in the UK) is probably the cheapest option.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm a thinking!! :thumbup:

Janna and Nick Sep 15th 2009 3:39 pm

Flights booked with SA yesterday. £1181 for the 3 of us flying from Heathrow to Singapore and then on to Perth on the 3rd June 2010. Now the count down begins! :eek::eek::eek:

Terrified but also really excited! :thumbsup:

coolerkingcooler Sep 15th 2009 3:55 pm

We're still waiting for our visa so unfortunately it looks like we'll not be flying with Singapore Airlines as last time we looked they appeared to be fully booked for a while.

Cooler

Janna and Nick Sep 15th 2009 3:57 pm

Where will you guys be flying to Cooler? Been thinking about you guys too. Now that Paul has his visa, where's yours!?! :frown:

coolerkingcooler Sep 15th 2009 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick (Post 7933435)
Where will you guys be flying to Cooler? Been thinking about you guys too. Now that Paul has his visa, where's yours!?! :frown:

We're going to Adelaide if we ever get our visa:frown: Less options than some but I have found some interesting routes - NZ Airlines fly via LA and then via Aukland to Adelaide. That's some flying, know someone who did it :blink:

The problem with the 'delay' on the visa is that it is going to cost us money:(

Cooler

Janna and Nick Sep 15th 2009 4:11 pm

If it came to it could you not fly somewhere such as Melbourne and make the domestic flight? Or take a road trip ? (When I say road trip.... I have no idea how far that is and how long it would take you - just thinking out load)

:)

coolerkingcooler Sep 15th 2009 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick (Post 7933481)
If it came to it could you not fly somewhere such as Melbourne and make the domestic flight? Or take a road trip ? (When I say road trip.... I have no idea how far that is and how long it would take you - just thinking out load)

:)

Funny, been think along those lines. It depends when we can go as some days are very expensive with some airlines.

We really thought we'd be away ages ago:(

Cooler