Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines or Emirates - who should we fly with?

Singapore Airlines or Emirates - who should we fly with?

Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:24 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Singapore Airlines or Emirates - who should we fly with?

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
We can fly from Gatwick or Heathrow. My OH want's to go on the A380 though so have to fly from Heathrow!
Our nearest airport is Manchester but we are travelling down to Heathrow the day b4 so we can fly SA on the A380 I have flown Emirates twice to Perth & thought the service was awful! The trays were left for about an hour b4 they were collected & the food wasn't very good either. I felt physically sick after eating that muck Would definatley recommend Singapore as my mum & dad have flown both & would NEVER fly Emirates again...... Its a no brainer! Flight is cheaper & even with 50kg baggage would you be able to fit it in the hire car the other end
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:26 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MikeSplicer
Flying this October with SA - First time with them - got a great deal from heathrow; but now the problem of getting there options are.

1. Drive down leave car for 16 days at airport - Best price £91 quid - Problem boot not big enough.

2. Buy a roof rack/box - Cost £125 for roof rack £200 for a box (get away without this) £91 Parking - Best Price £216

3 Hire a roof rack/box cheapest £145 (yes more expensive then purchase) £91 Parking - Best Price £236

4 Fly from manchester Best Price for 5 is £300 plus and then the train to airport.

4 Hire a car going and again on return £47 quid down £49 quid back - Best Price £96

So thats only 4 quid more than using my own car. (which I can't without the xtras )

Bargain Hertz

An yes its cheaper to hire the car than the roof-Rack - Barmy -
We fly ONE WAY from Heathrow on the 20th October at 11.55 to Perth..... We are staying in a travelodge the night b4 costing £22 per room.... What date do you fly we might be on the same flight
Old Sep 8th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Singapore Stopover: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U.../ssh/index.jsp. I know that you are trying not to spend too much money at the moment but you will need a decent break and Singapore is a really good value place for four days, it is too good an opportunity to miss. If you fly with Singapore Airlines and stay four nights or more you get a free shuttle to your highly discounted hotel and when you are there you can use the Singapore Airlines Hop-on bus for free, it takes you to just about all the major attractions, included in the deal is free admission to more places than you can visit in four days. Book a discounted hotel with breakfast then all you need after that is the rest of your meals, you shouldn't need to spend anything else. It is too good an opportunity to miss, at least have a look at their website. During your stay in Singapore you should be able to adjust your body clock, you'll still be a bit fuzzy when you arrive in Oz but heaps better than you would have been going straight through. Singapore has one of the best airports in the world with plenty of things to do but you are so far out that you will not see anything of Singapore. In case you are wondering I was in the airline industry but not with SIA, I was with a competitor but now prefer to fly with Singapore even though I can get highly discounted fares elsewhere.

I've been flying quite a lot for the last 30 years or so, never been able to win with jetlag but I find it helps to try to stay awake on the plane then pick flights that arrive at a destination in the early evening, after unpacking, showering etc I can usually get a reasonable sleep, a brisk 45 minutes walk is a big help though.

Last edited by NigelWaring; Sep 8th 2009 at 10:25 pm. Reason: comment about jetlag
Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

West Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to allWest Vic is a name known to all

Singapore every time!

They are second to none when it comes to service. Constantly smiling and helpful, very good with children. Flew the A380 last year on my own with my 11 month old and it was beautiful.

I intend to fly home with them from now on (Well to london anyhow) (although Ethiad is very tempting, mel/abu dabi/dublin).
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

My MIL has just booked to come stay with us in 3 weeks time She is flying Emirates - can anyone tell me, do they serve alcohol?? She is flying alone and said she will need several glasses of wine

Lynn xx
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the4ofus
do they serve alcohol??
Yes they do. Last time I flew with them though they seemed a bit worried about running out of wine for during the meal service and weren't too keen to keep it flowing freely at other times. Beer & spirits were no problem however.
Old Sep 9th 2009, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yes they do. Last time I flew with them though they seemed a bit worried about running out of wine for during the meal service and weren't too keen to keep it flowing freely at other times. Beer & spirits were no problem however.

Cheers This will keep her happy

Lynn xx
Old Sep 9th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Flown both, both good - Singapore a preference over the two BUT ...

Emirates now offer 30kg baggage allowance for economy passengers plus free addition of golf bag so I am going Emirates to Melbourne in October!!
Old Sep 9th 2009, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

jomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nicejomac1290 is just really nice

I flew Singapore airlines twice in 2008 and 2007 to NZ stopping in Changi airport. I have to say I loved the airport although no experience of Dubai or anywhere else that side of the globe. But a definate thumbs up for airline and airport . Good luck !
Old Sep 9th 2009, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody mentioned Cathay hope they are ok....

Anyone flying sunday with them to perth?
Old Sep 9th 2009, 8:35 pm
PR and proud

ChuiRafiki is an unknown quantity at this point

SA are great, but now fly less from Manchester (our departure point) than they used to. By the time we were able to book, no convenient seats were left either from Manchester or going via London and the A380. So, we are going Emirates on 22 September. They are fine, in my opinion. The ones I really don't like are BA: food was dreadful when we went with them. I'd choose SA anytime if we could get the flights, but Emirates are a decent second choice. Dubai airport is nowhere near as nice as Singapore airport, however. And I'd agree that a stopover in Singapore is worth it: it's a great city. Dubai was sandstormed out when we stayed; interesting, but not captivating...
Old Sep 10th 2009, 3:00 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Nobody mentioned Cathay hope they are ok....

Anyone flying sunday with them to perth?
They're OK. Been with them twice.

Not quite as good as Emirates and SIA but still a good airline.

Main difference is the entertainment system isn't quite as good although it may have improved since I last went with them 2 years ago.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

MikeSplicer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tawkins1
We fly ONE WAY from Heathrow on the 20th October at 11.55 to Perth..... We are staying in a travelodge the night b4 costing £22 per room.... What date do you fly we might be on the same flight
We Fly on the 25th October in the evening
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

thebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant futurethebooys has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chilliman
Flown both, both good - Singapore a preference over the two BUT ...

Emirates now offer 30kg baggage allowance for economy passengers plus free addition of golf bag so I am going Emirates to Melbourne in October!!
was it the 30kg of economy baggage or the free golf clubs that clinched it for you..

we leave next week, but going to have to struggle with our 20kg with SIA.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

blackbag is on a distinguished road

we arrived in melbourne last friday and flew with Singapore, i was really impressed with the serviced and will not fly with anyone else now.

The A380 from London to Singapore is the best aircraft i have ever been in, However it did make the 747 from singapore to melbourne feel like a cattle truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.