Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines or Emirates - who should we fly with?

Singapore Airlines or Emirates - who should we fly with?

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:34 am
FHI
Forum Regular

FHI is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Singapore Airlines or Emirates - who should we fly with?

Both Sinapore and Emirates are good and i have not noticed any discernible diffrence between the levels of service provided. My particuar preference therefore comes down to the fact that i prefer the first section of my journey to be the long section and therefore would choose to fly to Singapore rather than Emirates who fly to Dubai.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Aberboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have flown with both. If baggage allowance is not importnant to you, I would recommend SA.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

7connexionz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I would want to think it depends on where u leave ..we live in the midlands so when visiting our family in Ozzy we always fly emirates coz its the only one which flies from Birmingham.Sometimes 'better' deals are available from Heathrow and Gatwick but after adding the fuel,exhaustion,packing fees and the 'are we there yets' from the irritable kids before we even leave the country makes the deals no deals at all.The extra we pay is more rewarding when we come back.....tired,jetlegged,depressed by the grey sky and the only good thing will be the short 15 min drive home to a cup of tea .......not trying to negotiate M25.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

We can fly from Gatwick or Heathrow. My OH want's to go on the A380 though so have to fly from Heathrow!
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Last year I flew to Malaysia with Emirates and discovered that if you perform an on line check-in - and you can also select your seats at that stage, once at the airport you can use the business class baggage check-in counter. No queueing!

Definately worth doing although Emirates did still try to bump us (2 adults and kids age 4 and 8), so I'd still recommend turning up early just in case. Alternatively you can do it from your mobile (we found out quite late in the journey), which is ace if you don't have internet access. All in all, I will definately try Singapore next time as I really wasnt' impressed with the service or attitude of Emirates.

Good luck with your decision
Old Sep 7th 2009, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

DebandPaul has a brilliant futureDebandPaul has a brilliant futureDebandPaul has a brilliant futureDebandPaul has a brilliant futureDebandPaul has a brilliant futureDebandPaul has a brilliant futureDebandPaul has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Janna and Nick
We can fly from Gatwick or Heathrow. My OH want's to go on the A380 though so have to fly from Heathrow!
Hi we a family of four have had 3 rekki trips (well need to be sure!!) have flown with emirates, SA and last time went with BA/ QA

Dubia airport is very crowded and lacks any comfort facilities the people longe all over the floor as not many seats the kids were pushed about by the huge crush of people it was a very unpleasent and BO filled experiance all at 0140 am!!!! dread what its like at rush hour (tolets where very clean and snacks and drinks very cheap)

changi was huge open loads to do kids played on mag train went to butterfly house loved the toast stall ran them round the airport for 3hours then they slept the rest of the fligh!!!!

ba and QA and SA had great service and moveis (food was urg on all flights BA slightly better) best plane food is virgin adlantic but not go to aus yet!!!

emerates had 2 of 4 seats the tv didn't work flight was packed so had to take turns with kids all not happy and cabin crew looked knackered and counldn't be bothered

we are going for good this time in nov just looking at flights now and will aim for BA/QA or SA with a stopover of a few days in singapore depends on price

ps on increased bag allowance we only take a suitcase each (i pinch a bit of kids case) and a carry on as find it hard to cope with anymore with rental cars or taxi on arrival! Deb x
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:48 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Singapore Airlines or Emirates - who should we fly with?

Singapore Airlines has 3 flights a day between Singapore and London Heathrow.

2 of those flights are with the A380 (and in most cases, all the flights are full as everyone wants to try out this plane).

1 flight per day is with the Boeing 777 - it was until a few months ago a B747 jumbo jet but there were too many empty seats so replaced it with the B777.

My mum is visiting me here in Singapore and flew on the B777.....she's been here since mid-August, peak travelling time and she said there were loads of empty seats on her flight and hoping for the same on her return trip to LHR, also on a B777.

I was at the British Club last week and was talking to an Englishwoman who was putting some items up for sale on the noticeboard as they are having to leave Singapore (although he's landed a job with Qatar Airlines). Her spouse is a pilot for Singapore Airlines and right now they are getting rid of more than 50 expat pilots (too expensive compared to local crew) as the airline is losing a lot of money. Just like BA, cabin crews and pilots have been invited to apply for redundancy, lower pay and/or time off without pay.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:55 am
Jenny

Location: Bradford, but moving to Busselton WA in Sept 2010 (yay!!!!)
morrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant futuremorrisj3 has a brilliant future

We've flown with both. They're both excellent airlines, but we prefer Singapore for 2 reasons:
1. Long flight to Singapore = chance of good sleep
2. Dubai airport is not that great - reminds me of a refugee camp and when my daughter accidentally got separated from us, she found it really scary (she was 23 at the time lol!!)
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Hi janna,we booked yesterday with singapore
£2k with a 4 hr stop over in singapore
fly A380 then 777 to melly
Old Sep 7th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

emerates had 2 of 4 seats the tv didn't work flight was packed so had to take turns with kids all not happy and cabin crew looked knackered and counldn't be bothered

Exactly our experience, although it was only one of our entertainment systems that didn't work. The socket seemed to be missing on our 4 year old's seat and I told the cabin crew that I was going nowhere until it was fixed! She snapped that she would try and find another seat elsewhere in the plane for him! Er, no thanks. In the end they could see we were serious and didn't much like the threat of offloading us all and the purser arrived with a pen and fished the socket out of the hole in the armrest. We then held it together with cellotape for the rest of the journet. All in all, simply not good enough.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking at flights for next year and have narrowed down the list to two carriers - Emirates and Singapore Airlines.

I know the question has been asked before and whilst Singapore Airlines seems to come out tops I am still not sure who to choose....

We are a family of 3, Myself, Nick and our daughter Ella who will be close to 4 when we fly. I have tried to find information on the airports where the stop overs are but naturally both airports try to sell themselves as the best!

So my dilemma is as follows:

We can fly with Singapore for £1177 for the 3 of us. Stopping over in Singapore for 1 hour and 45 minutes with an allowance of 40kg's per person

OR

We can fly with Emirates for £1280 for the 3 of us stopping over in Dubai for 4 hours and an allowance of 50 kg's per person....

Who do we choose as there is very little in the price and whilst the baggage allowance is better with Emirates, I have heard that Singapore is the best...

Are there things that make or break the flight for you such as food, entertainment, friendliness etc. Who is better?

What to do, what to do!!!

and I thought this was supposed to be the easy bit!
This one's easy: Singapore. Great service plus you get to go to Singapore for a few days, which is always worth it.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

We are looking at flights for next year and have narrowed down the list to two carriers - Emirates and Singapore Airlines.

I know the question has been asked before and whilst Singapore Airlines seems to come out tops I am still not sure who to choose....

We are a family of 3, Myself, Nick and our daughter Ella who will be close to 4 when we fly. I have tried to find information on the airports where the stop overs are but naturally both airports try to sell themselves as the best!

So my dilemma is as follows:

We can fly with Singapore for £1177 for the 3 of us. Stopping over in Singapore for 1 hour and 45 minutes with an allowance of 40kg's per person

OR

We can fly with Emirates for £1280 for the 3 of us stopping over in Dubai for 4 hours and an allowance of 50 kg's per person....

Who do we choose as there is very little in the price and whilst the baggage allowance is better with Emirates, I have heard that Singapore is the best...

Are there things that make or break the flight for you such as food, entertainment, friendliness etc. Who is better?

What to do, what to do!!!

and I thought this was supposed to be the easy bit!
Emirates used to be be a class act, but the last time I flew long haul with them I found that the width of the seats in cattle class had been reduced to what I measured as 17.5 inches and the rake of the seats ( distance between rows ) was so small that it was almost impossible to watch the inflight entertaiment unless the passenger in front had their seat in the upright position.

Ask both airlines about their seat sizes and distance between seats.

An almost thirty hour flight will seem a damn sight longer if you spend most of it sharing your accommodation with the fat **** in the next seat
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

MikeSplicer is on a distinguished road

Flying this October with SA - First time with them - got a great deal from heathrow; but now the problem of getting there options are.

1. Drive down leave car for 16 days at airport - Best price £91 quid - Problem boot not big enough.

2. Buy a roof rack/box - Cost £125 for roof rack £200 for a box (get away without this) £91 Parking - Best Price £216

3 Hire a roof rack/box cheapest £145 (yes more expensive then purchase) £91 Parking - Best Price £236

4 Fly from manchester Best Price for 5 is £300 plus and then the train to airport.

4 Hire a car going and again on return £47 quid down £49 quid back - Best Price £96

So thats only 4 quid more than using my own car. (which I can't without the xtras )

Bargain Hertz

An yes its cheaper to hire the car than the roof-Rack - Barmy -

Last edited by MikeSplicer; Sep 8th 2009 at 12:26 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Sep 8th 2009, 12:34 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Emirates used to be be a class act, but the last time I flew long haul with them I found that the width of the seats in cattle class had been reduced to what I measured as 17.5 inches and the rake of the seats ( distance between rows ) was so small that it was almost impossible to watch the inflight entertaiment unless the passenger in front had their seat in the upright position.
Emirates have 10 seats per row in their 777s - very few other airlines have this arrangement with most only having 9.

The actual difference in seat width between an Emirates & Singapore Airlines 777 seat is about half an inch - I've never found it to be a problem - but the aisles on Emirates do seem really narrow - if you sit in the aisle seat you get bumped everytime someone goes past.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Im taking the kids back on sunday we are flying with Cathay Pacific hope they are good we came back with them back to UK with them and they were ok. Getting nervous now! last minute thing and now me and the kids are doing it by ourselves and Im totally s....g myself

I paid 1,200 for the 3 of us!!...

We are keeping it a secret from our daughter and she has no idea!! We are doing a holiday there and then once house goes through OH is flying over to Brissy and we are meeting him there for our next big adventure

Anyone who knows me and reads this dont mention it on my facebook as I dont want Laura to know lol!!!xx

Kath

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.