Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines Baggage Allowance

Singapore Airlines Baggage Allowance

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

jasonK944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Singapore Airlines Baggage Allowance

I am travelling to Sydney on 31st December on a migrant visa. My travel agents told me that i would be allowed 40kgs and that there would be no problem at the airport i.e. the check in desks would know that I was entitled to this amount. In view of what I had read on this forum before I decided to check this further and so I phoned Singapore Airlines direct. They informed me that I had to have my tickets endordsed to show that I was allowed the full allowance. If I had not checked this out my tickets would have shown 20kgs and thats all I would have been permitted to take.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

wafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nicewafoo1 is just really nice

We were told 40,then checked with the airline told 20,went to check in and explained we were emigrating,showed the visa got 40!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Similar problem here. I got a letter from the airline in the end for my own peace of mind which says on it that we are entitled to the 40kgs.

Claire
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:33 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I am presuming that the type of visa affects your baggage allowance?

After a long and tedious story which I won't go into, we are having to travel out to NZ on temp General Work Visas and then apply for PR when we get there under the new Skilled Migrant Policy.

Will the fact that the visa are just general work visa, although we are going for good, mean we just get the 20kgs instead of the 40kgs we sorely need?
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Pollster, I suggest you do the same as I did. I'm in Oz on a Prospective Spouse visa, which doesn't give PR, but to get PR I have to come to Oz first, then marry and apply.
I flew with Cathay, and actually wrote to them explaining the situation, and sent the papers that said I had to travel here before getting PR. Pointed out that because of this, I was actually emigrating on a temp visa, had given up my job and flat, etc. and was going on a one-way ticket, not returning to the UK.
They rang and said that they were happy with the proof, anf gave me the 40 kgs.

Once they say that though, I still suggest that before you fly, you phone the customer service desk at the airline or airport, and get them to check your PNR - thats your passenger booking record, and that will confirm how much you are allowed to take. Thats what they use as gospel at check-in.

Good luck,
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:48 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Pollster

After a long and tedious story which I won't go into, we are having to travel out to NZ on temp General Work Visas and then apply for PR when we get there under the new Skilled Migrant Policy.

Will the fact that the visa are just general work visa, although we are going for good, mean we just get the 20kgs instead of the 40kgs we sorely need?
Yes, you need the migrant visa to get that extra allowance.
I reckon you may just be stuck with the 20kilos.

But, I would try to get the airline to make an exception for you. Its always worth asking in advance, but do get it in writing, if they say they will allow it.

As you are travelling on Dec 31, your flight may not be full, so they may be more lenient with baggage allowance.

Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

My wife is travelling on a PR visa which once faxed to singapore airlines allowed her 40kg instead of 20kg allowance, and just for for fun the chap asked me if I wanted 30kg baggage allowance. errr, go on then!
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pollster

Pollster,

Its worth trying to negotiate, we booked direct with Singapore airlines my husband, daughter and myself have the correct visa for extra baggage but my parents dont (retirement visa) but we asked and theyve agreed to give it to all of us and were quite happy to put it in writing. Booking direct cost us about £20 more each but was worth it for this extra and also to request specific seats etc which according to a couple of internet companies you cant usually do with Singapore.

Michaela
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:25 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Singapore airlines will do their best to give you the seats you want regardless of who you book through.You need to phone them in good time when you have your tickets.A lot of travel agents tell you they can't arrange seats but we have never had a problem.Maybe they can't be bothered.

G
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Copy of the email received from Singapore airlines :-

Dear Mr Ross,

You will be allowed double baggage allowance of 40kgs if you are holding a migrant visa that hasn't been stamped before. The visa must have the words "mig" on it and state that you may "remain in Australia indefinately". We do not have to sight the visas beforehand but you will need to show them at check in,

Kind regards,

Lena
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

Beware

If your travelling on an internal flight before your your flight to Oz they may not allow the double luggage.

I was going to travel from Heathrow with Singapore airlines but I had to flywith BA from Newcastle but then I found that BA would not honour the 40kg. They only allowed 20kg and would charge 30 pound per kg thereafter.

So I didn't fly from Heathrow, I flew from Manchester instead.

Oh and by the way when I Pressented my luggage at the counter it weighed 50kg not 40 but they let me through anyway with no extra cost.

So I'd recomend Singapore Airway any time.

Keel
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 9:04 am
visa'd member oh yeah!

CROSSY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rossi
Copy of the email received from Singapore airlines :-

Dear Mr Ross,

You will be allowed double baggage allowance of 40kgs if you are holding a migrant visa that hasn't been stamped before. The visa must have the words "mig" on it and state that you may "remain in Australia indefinately". We do not have to sight the visas beforehand but you will need to show them at check in,

Kind regards,

Lena
Same as that Rossi, we got the same email yesterday