Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines baggage

Singapore airlines baggage

Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Singapore airlines baggage

Does anyone know how strict or lenient singapore airlines are on the 20kg baggage limit?
Emigrate on mon 5th jan and struggling to streamline my stuff!!
Thanks
Helen
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:13 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore airlines baggage

Originally Posted by Helen Randle View Post
Does anyone know how strict or lenient singapore airlines are on the 20kg baggage limit?
Emigrate on mon 5th jan and struggling to streamline my stuff!!
Thanks
Helen
Depends what visa you are travelling on. If you are on a one way ticket and validating a permanent visa for the first time you can get 40kgs with Singapore Airlines. If you are on a temp visa i.e 457 or WHV you can only get 20kgs.

How strict they are depends on how full the plane is and how over your bags are (and which check in person you get). I travelled on a one way at the end of November (with a 40kg allowance) - I had two bags - one weighed in at 23kgs and the other at 29kgs and they didnt charge me. But I might have been lucky.

Good Luck and have a safe journey.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:17 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

If you are emigrating you are entitled to 40kg's each. Phone Singapore Airlines and they will note it down for you.

Good Luck for your new life.

Julie. x
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:44 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Juliecabs View Post
If you are emigrating you are entitled to 40kg's each. Phone Singapore Airlines and they will note it down for you.

Julie. x
It is not an entitlement, it is at the airlines discretion.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point

on 457 so no extra allowance for me "legally"! Boo!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:13 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

We were tavelling with Singapore with 20 kgs allowance each and we were WAY over but they were great about it.They did mention i was over but just stuck a 'heavy' sticker on the suitcases and let it thru'......result
I was chatting to a regular Singapore flier prior to check in and told him about my concerns of the excessive weight and he said that they nearly always let people on with more than 20 kgs.

Lee
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:14 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Julie. x
Thats only if you dont stop off on-route otherwise its the normal 20 kgs

Lee
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:18 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

We flew out with them and our cases were well over and they never said anything and we had 4 hand luggage bags and they allowed them on ( one case 1 laptop camera bag and my big handbag), we were on a PR visa. I think it all depends on who you get at the check in desk.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:21 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC View Post
I think it all depends on who you get at the check in desk.
It sure does, and what mood they're in, and if they've had their lunch, etc., etc., and as somebody said there is no "legal" entitlement so never assume or demand anything unless you have it in writing.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:34 pm
ASHO

ASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really niceASHO is just really nice

Julie. x
Not if you have already validated your visa im afraid!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

MichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura aboutMichPayne has a spectacular aura about

Hi

Does anyone know if Malaysia Airlines are strict about it they say only 20 kgs and were emigrating too

mich
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Paulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nice

Originally Posted by MichPayne View Post
Hi

Does anyone know if Malaysia Airlines are strict about it they say only 20 kgs and were emigrating too

mich
My Wife has just booked with Malaysian Airlines after being told that they allow you 40kg for permanent visa applicants. Sadly she's found out that only Quantas and Singapore do this.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

always over, never been questioned or charged!?

brought building tools over and tried to take as hand luggage and they said no sorry, you'll have to check in and just checked it in as additional baggage with no extra charge, and that was with the grumpy check in staff in Manchester!

Check in staff in Sydney and Singapore just don't seem to bother, the weighing scales were not even switched on in Changi!!! Great for shopping and think they realise that all the shopping when there is good for their economy!

Best airline by miles too of all the many I have flown! Would love to try business class as economy service so good it must be heaven in there for £3000 return!!!

Old Dec 30th 2008, 10:49 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately I've only done it short haul but it's not too shabby.

For your GBP3000 you do get the prettiest crew.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty View Post
We were tavelling with Singapore with 20 kgs allowance each and we were WAY over but they were great about it.They did mention i was over but just stuck a 'heavy' sticker on the suitcases and let it thru'......result
I was chatting to a regular Singapore flier prior to check in and told him about my concerns of the excessive weight and he said that they nearly always let people on with more than 20 kgs.

Lee
Hi

Yes, Singapore Airlines are good, I agree. Will always travel with them again to Australia. You know that when you get to Changi Singapore that you will be met with polite service and an airport which actually has space and works properly - not Heathrow, where the toilets are flooded and the escalators are stuffed!.

Yes, Manchester Airport is pretty hit and miss depending on who you get - quite a few Margaret Motersheds working there when we went through, so I reckon it is a gamble on the day a bit.

Emirates should be renamed 'Mindari Keys' (Perth) (aka GGM - Greater, Greater Manchester). Airline I rekcon, given the amount of NW folks on it between there and Perth. Taxi Drivers in Perth have started calling the Northern suburbs it GGM on their radios I hear as the latest in-house cabbi joke.

Have Fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.