Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore airlines bad for Australia

Singapore airlines bad for Australia

Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:13 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Singapore airlines bad for Australia

Australia have just decided not to let Singapore Airlines fly the OZ to USA route, apparently it's bad for Australia, I watched the whole minister truss or whatever his name is announcement and all I can say is what a load of protectionist rubbish. What about the consumer? He even admitted the fares would be 30 to 40% cheaper as a result. When the small minded protectionist attitude comes down from the top what hope is there for the normal person or business?

They seem to think protecting a few jobs is more important than the benefits to 20 million consumers.

Am I the only one that thinks this country just made a big mistake in not letting SA fly the OZ to USA route?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:19 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Singapore airlines bad for Australia

Originally Posted by arkon
Am I the only one that thinks this country just made a big mistake in not letting SA fly the OZ to USA route?
No, I agree with you. It's a blatant case of protectionism.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:21 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Singapore airlines bad for Australia

Australia have just decided not to let Singapore Airlines fly the OZ to USA route, apparently it's bad for Australia, I watched the whole minister truss or whatever his name is announcement and all I can say is what a load of protectionist rubbish. What about the consumer? He even admitted the fares would be 30 to 40% cheaper as a result. When the small minded protectionist attitude comes down from the top what hope is there for the normal person or business?

They seem to think protecting a few jobs is more important than the benefits to 20 million consumers.

it's an outrage, it's us punters who'll continue to suffer under the Quantas monopoly.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:28 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Unbelievable.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:29 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
it's an outrage, it's us punters who'll continue to suffer under the Quantas monopoly.
Well I'm glad it wasn't just me. The whole announcement had me shouting at the telly. I just can’t believe the blatant boys club out here. For every job Qantas lose 2 more will be made in a wide range of other businesses from tourism to finance. Plus we might be able to afford to go to the USA again for a holiday. What stunned me, although I really shouldn’t have been surprised is the way the minister kept a straight face as he was trying to convince everyone it was good for the country.

He then had the bare faced cheek to justify the decision by saying SA wouldn’t be bringing anything new to the country that Qantas and United don’t already have. Well here’s a novel idea, how about the fact they will be 38% cheaper! Gets my vote.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:34 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Do the Australian govt. have a share in Qantas? If so how much, also do the ministers have shares in the company? If so and this happend in the UK it would make news for weeks and someone would lose thier job over it.

Oh no, I've just remembered a very nice holiday I had to Prague on easy jet that cost £9 each way and they even paid the taxes!! I've still no idea how that works but hey as a consumer it was great. where can you fly to here for £9?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:43 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Do the Australian govt. have a share in Qantas? If so how much, also do the ministers have shares in the company? If so and this happend in the UK it would make news for weeks and someone would lose thier job over it.

Oh no, I've just remembered a very nice holiday I had to Prague on easy jet that cost £9 each way and they even paid the taxes!! I've still no idea how that works but hey as a consumer it was great. where can you fly to here for £9?
I don't know what the make up of the company is, did it belong to the government once upon a time?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

That's amazing. I thought the only reason an airline was restricted was because of a countries politcal issues and embargoes against others, not for profit and gain.

It stinks.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:49 am
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by manxfamily
That's amazing. I thought the only reason an airline was restricted was because of a countries politcal issues and embargoes against others, not for profit and gain.

It stinks.
I'm guessing Australia doesn't have a monopolies commission like the UK?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 9:55 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

I'm guessing Australia doesn't have a monopolies commission like the UK?
Even if it did have it would be run by the old boys club, so would be as much use as a wet hanky.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Umm, does trans Atlantic route and British Airways and 'protectionist rubbish' mean anything to you? SIA weren't/aren't allowed to fly trans Atlantic routes from the UK either.

BA had a minority stake in Qantas (to gain access to the kangaroo route, code share etc) but the 'world's favourite airline' recently sold their stake for commercial reasons.

Prestwick is the only airport in Scotland capable of having jumbo jets. Will they (BAA and government) allow carriers to land jumbos there? No (don't want to harm the Glasgow hub - where jumbos can't land). The BAA (British Airports Authority) is about to be sold to the Dubai Ports Authority incidentally so expect even more Emirates action in the UK.

OzTennis
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

The jobs excuse is total bo!!ocks, Qantas are planning to send all its mantence work off to asia, losing 3000 jobs there then is presumably OK

The Aus to UK run is tighlty controlled too, tickets on most major airlines can be sold on expedia UK or flight centre UK for much less than us in aus buying the same flight nos / dates from here. And as long as the public dont object they will continue to make mugs out of us.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:03 am
ReMember?

G'day_Australia! is an unknown quantity at this point

Even if it did have it would be run by the old boys club, so would be as much use as a wet hanky.

It's called the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) - or is that "Australia's Clueless Consumer Commission"?

But don't get me started on Australian consumer affairs. It seems you have no rights here as a consumer.

A similar preposterous decision akin to this one would be the time that Camelot beat Branson for the right to run the UK lottery.
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Unlike the civil service in the UK which is full of ex-pupils of state schools!! I would guess the permanent head of every UK government department went to Eton, Harrow et al (think Yes Minister).

There is much concern in the UK about the power of the supermarkets with 1/3 of all grocery spending and 1/8 of all UK spending at Tesco. Does the MMC (Monopolies and Mergers Commission) do anything about that (and Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrison's)? No, probably 'run by the old boys club, so would be as much use as a wet hanky'.

This is another of your 'it can only happen in Australia' threads I'm afraid which is patently untrue!

OzTennis
Old Feb 21st 2006, 10:20 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Unlike the civil service in the UK which is full of ex-pupils of state schools!! I would guess the permanent head of every UK government department went to Eton, Harrow et al (think Yes Minister).

There is much concern in the UK about the power of the supermarkets with 1/3 of all grocery spending and 1/8 of all UK spending at Tesco. Does the MMC (Monopolies and Mergers Commission) do anything about that (and Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrison's)? No, probably 'run by the old boys club, so would be as much use as a wet hanky'.

This is another of your 'it can only happen in Australia' threads I'm afraid which is patently untrue!

OzTennis
How you can possibly compare the UK to Oz when it comes to protectionism is totally beyond me, Of course there will be decisions made in the UK that seem like they aren’t healthy but by and large the consumer is well protected and has a huge choice in services and products. Australia on the other hand actively tries to stifle any kind of free market or choice, in the name of protecting jobs, when anyone with a brain can see the only reason for the decisions is to protect someone’s investment or private interests. The only true way to create long term sustainable jobs is a totally free unregulated economy. The blatant 2 faced-ness off it stuns me, they even kept mentioning that Virgin were free to do the route and they hoped they would take up the challenge of providing the cheap service to the USA! No how on earth they can actually say on the one hand SA can’t have the route but Virgin can is beyond me, when SA would have provided the same cheaper transport…..Geez, rant over…..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.