Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines

Singapore Airlines

Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Singapore Airlines

I have just booked our flights for myself, my 8 year old and my 5 year old for a week on Saturday. We have always flown with them and always been very enjoyable. When i went online after booking to pre select my seats there were none available for the 3 of us to sit together.When i phoned up to explain i was told i could only put a request to be seated together! I am absolutely outraged, There is no bloody way i am going to be separated from my children on such a long flight. I am petrified of flying and already getting myself in a state about it and dont need the added stress of worrying about whether I will be sat next to my boys. Are they allowed to do this?
Surely when i booked they could see i had two children travelling with me. I am sooo annoyed!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice
Default Re: Singapore Airlines

Glad you are on your way at last. Sorry about the seating....Thats ridiculous.... Can you at least get the seat across an aisle. Look at it one way you can sit on your own take a sleeping tablet and leave the stewardess to look after the boys!!!
Make sure you get to airport at least 3 hours in advance. Emergency exits arent allocated until the day... So some people will move. Then if not get both boys to start crying on plane and hope someone offers to move..Also explain predicament to stewardesses they do try to help.
We have only just booked flights for 30th and some seats still available as a four but awaiting for e tickets to be issued before we can choose seats.
Good luck
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Because you are using a online system then basically all the other seats have either been pre-allocated to other passengers who don't care where they sit or other passengers have chosen them - if that is the case then SIA can't really ask anyone to move at this stage! They'd have to call people and ask them to move seats and then they'd be pretty miffed if you then didn't show up or had to cancel.

Everytime recently I've booked online a lot of seat allocation has gone and with SIA offering good prices in advance and allowing people to choose their own seats then you end up with this hickledy pickledy allocation of seats! I've even had little choice of the two of us sitting together.

Don't get miffed, just put in your request and then re-affirm on check-in as the OP said get their early before the masses arrive. If you still can't sit together then tell the crew what the problem is and they will shuffle you around but they might not be able to do it until after take-off. There are rules and regs about the passenger lists and the seat you are sitting in.

Unfortunately this is the by-product of allowing passengers to do so much otherwise you'd just rock up to the airport early to ensure you got the seat you wanted!
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:31 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, you've booked very close to the departure date so shouldn't expect there to be a good choice of seats.

That said, I can't imagine for a minute that they'd let you and your boys be separated and will make changes at check-in, the gate, or on the plane if necessary. Single passengers are easy to move and I'm sure they'll be highly delighted to swap with you and not sit with two kids
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, I can't see them letting two kids sit separate from their parent. Would be very surprised if that actually happened - unless the boys are over 12/13 maybe.

I know when I fly in a couple of weeks, I am praying that I don't have to sit next to ANY kids (I'm leaving mine behind for a reason!)
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:51 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I often find the parents are far more trouble than the kids
Old Oct 7th 2010, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
I often find the parents are far more trouble than the kids
Yes, I plan to be
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:02 pm
Auntie Fa

Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Seasider
To be fair, you've booked very close to the departure date so shouldn't expect there to be a good choice of seats.

That said, I can't imagine for a minute that they'd let you and your boys be separated and will make changes at check-in, the gate, or on the plane if necessary. Single passengers are easy to move and I'm sure they'll be highly delighted to swap with you and not sit with two kids
Yes i know we booked close to departure, this has been down to the fact that our house hadnt exchanged until yesterday although i did book on Monday and Saturday th 16th was the earliest we could fly. Oh has been gone nearly 7 weeks so obviously i want the first available flight. The point i am making is why confirm a reservation that states i am travelling with two young kids when we may not be seated together. My youngest has just turned five and there is no way i am allowing him to sit on a different part of the plane next to a complete stranger! In fact i pity who may have to sit next to him!
I am going to get there super early and try and sort the seating out. Thanks for the advice!
Emma
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by heldownunder
Glad you are on your way at last. Sorry about the seating....Thats ridiculous.... Can you at least get the seat across an aisle. Look at it one way you can sit on your own take a sleeping tablet and leave the stewardess to look after the boys!!!
Make sure you get to airport at least 3 hours in advance. Emergency exits arent allocated until the day... So some people will move. Then if not get both boys to start crying on plane and hope someone offers to move..Also explain predicament to stewardesses they do try to help.
We have only just booked flights for 30th and some seats still available as a four but awaiting for e tickets to be issued before we can choose seats.
Good luck
A seat across the aisle would be fine too but at the time we were not even offered that! keeping every thing crossed, As i said i hate flying so want no extra stress at the airport!

Emma
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck and have a safe flight.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 10:13 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Always remember that a certain amount of seats are not released until on line check in which you should complete as soon as it opens. Not all seats are available to prebook online, so worth using online check in as soon as you can.

Actually, its worth it anyway because then you can just use the online check in queue at the airport which is usually a lot less full and you can still change your seat with the check in agent anyway.

If worst comes to the worst, as other people have mentioned, SIA crew will request some other passengers move for you onboard given the age of your kids.

Don't panic, it will work out fine.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck on the seat change i know i would not want to be sat away from my children on any flight also safe journey
Old Oct 7th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emma75
I have just booked our flights for myself, my 8 year old and my 5 year old for a week on Saturday. We have always flown with them and always been very enjoyable. When i went online after booking to pre select my seats there were none available for the 3 of us to sit together.When i phoned up to explain i was told i could only put a request to be seated together! I am absolutely outraged, There is no bloody way i am going to be separated from my children on such a long flight. I am petrified of flying and already getting myself in a state about it and dont need the added stress of worrying about whether I will be sat next to my boys. Are they allowed to do this?Surely when i booked they could see i had two children travelling with me. I am sooo annoyed!
Of course they can. If you want seats together you have to ensure there are seats together before you book. Now, your best bet is to look around after take-off and ask some kind person to move, etc. I would move if someone with young kids requested that of me.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:35 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Now, your best bet is to look around after take-off and ask some kind person to move, etc. I would move if someone with young kids requested that of me.
Depending on where I'm seated and where the person asking wants me to move to I may or may not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.