Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines

Singapore Airlines

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

CharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant futureCharleneG has a brilliant future
Default Re: Singapore Airlines

Originally Posted by The_Griswolds
Its all about bums on seats as they say

For those who are interested and for completeness the A380 operated by Emirates has a seat pitch of 32" and a seat width of just 18".

Clark

PS Congratulations on the Visa grant by the way very jealous
We have done a few long haul flights (but never been to Oz - are we brave or daft?) and Emirates are one of the best we have flown with so far.
We just keep heearing a buzz about the service on Singapore and with the opportunity to fly on the A380 (which makes the other hals turn into an 8 year old again) it seemed like the obvious way to go even if it does mean getting down to London. It ticks off another airport on our list (Singapore).

I see you have not long since submitted your application, it's taken 8 months but I now feel I can start putting a fewplans in motion like renting out the house (tried to sell but no takers - no surprise there) and booking flights.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:16 pm
Wow 2yrs in Oz!

Location: Liverpool to Townsville via North America & the Middle East!
The_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud ofThe_Griswolds has much to be proud of

Emirates are very good too I have travelled with them from Auckland back to Manchester via Brisbane / Singapore and Dubai they where very good and the on demand inflight entertainment was excellent.

I would say that service wise Singapore just about edge Emirates, but the in flight is not quite as good but is fine for my needs and the rest of the Griswold crew.

I must admit I too turn into an 8 year old when thinking of travelling on the new A380, I saw the Singapore A380 land at Heathrow back in May when we where off on a family holiday to the USA and we all said we would love to fly out to Oz on it, who knows!

I have been wanting to apply for a visa for years but Ellen wouldn't even consider it, now she is interested in the idea and wants to go on holiday to see for herself after her sister whom she is very close too spent 4 weeks there and decided her and her husband are emigrating to Perth.

The waiting is the hardest part of the whole visa process and the random nature of CO allocation is a little bizarre of course being british we all expect there to be an orderly queue which I guess the aussies just love to mess with

I am hoping that we will be one of the lucky ones I would love to do a validation trip at Easter but I suppose it will be more like Sept / Oct
best of luck with your visit anyway.

Clark

Last edited by The_Griswolds; Dec 2nd 2008 at 7:47 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit

I flew Qantas last time, and thought they were brilliant, but apparently Singapore are meant to be even better?! So I can't wait to find out.
Not in my experience.

Try Malaysian....they are the best IMO
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:48 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Singapore offer the most consistently excellent service in the sky.

Not in my experience.....and I have used them several times.

G
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Lewis2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have flown both . Always fly Singapore airlines. No comparison in my opinion. The qantas service (service?) well I just wouldn`t pay money for it.............
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I concur!! Singapore Airlines are great and will give you free Singapore Slings!
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

Singapore is ten times better than Qantas. It would be madness to pay more for a Qantas fare. Sing have just been voted worlds best airline have they not?
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big_matt
Singapore is ten times better than Qantas. It would be madness to pay more for a Qantas fare. Sing have just been voted worlds best airline have they not?
Yes they were voted world's best airline 2008 by the Skytrax World Airlines Award, and the deserve it as well. They also won best business class and best airline specific to Asia, which is kind of obvious if they are best in the world.... but that's how they do the award. They've been voted best airline three times since 1998 which I think might be a record.

I will continue using them until I have a bad experience, which is how I deal with all companies and services, and if that happens, then I will switch to another airline. In the meantime - if it ain't broke....
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:51 am

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The_Griswolds
Its all about bums on seats as they say

For those who are interested and for completeness the A380 operated by Emirates has a seat pitch of 32" and a seat width of just 18".

Clark

PS Congratulations on the Visa grant by the way very jealous
hi we used singapore with 6 kids whod never flown before must admit althoiugh not much of an expert on flight journeys they looked after us adn all our dramas ie screaming baby child wiht nosebleed and another one who panicked and got out of his seat when seatbelt sign was on . all in all the food was excellent the service was brilliant and hubby flew back wiht emirates and here again with singapore he said they were both brilliant especially since he was on his own so missed out on our screaming baby that time lol
lesley
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Haktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant futureHaktahsin has a brilliant future

Great feedback by almost all

We booked our flights last night with Singapore, *2 adults and *3 kids for 6th Jan.

When I spoke with Qantas yesterday, they were roughly £500 more expensive, hopefully we shall receive the same service from Singapore as many of you all had and what makes it better is for a lot less.

Cheers again.

H and family...
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Service with Singapore airways has always been fantastic,
My MIL passed away 2 weeks ago and i needed to book a flight for the OH to London, tried all the usual suspects and they all wanted in excess of $4,000 for 1 adult return perth to london with crap times and long transit waits ,
Phoned Singapore and explained the situation, they got him on a flight with prefered dates and times for $2,300 return

Di
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickallen1969
I Recently made the final move to Perth via Singapore Airlines ( A week ago) the service was second to none, the staff were excellent and the food was fantastic. I flew with Qantas / BA last November ( 2007) and did exactly the same journey and quite honestly i would rather eat my own foot than travel with them again.

Regards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would rather eat my own anything than fly the BA/Quantas route again!
Lorraine
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 10:30 am
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Haktahsin
Anyone flown with them recently, need to book flights for early Jan, and the cheapest fares are with Singapore airlines.

We flew with Qantas last year and didn't think it bad as some posted, is it worth increasing the cost to fly with Qantas again, or try Singapore?.

Decisions, decisions.

Cheers.
flew with them to melbourne 2 weeks ago. second time I've used them and I've no complaints
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Just arrived, flew with Singapore Airlines, first part to Singapore was nice, Airbus was new, food was nice. Second part, from Singapore to Brisbane we had oldish normal sized ageing plane, food was terrible. Overall the service was good, they seem more relaxed, less loud and brash than other airlines, on Airbus my entertainment monitor broke, they said they would be back to fix it, but never did, no biggie, you get what you pay for and I was economy.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
on Airbus my entertainment monitor broke, they said they would be back to fix it, but never did, no biggie, you get what you pay for and I was economy.
I knew someone that got moved seats when their monitor broke. Economy was full though - so she went to business class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.