Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Singapore $ how far does it stretch?

Singapore $ how far does it stretch?

Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:30 pm
Chillin out in WA

brisbec will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Singapore $ how far does it stretch?

I was in Singapore for a stopover in Jan 2001. We got the Hotel Furama for £25 a night which i thought was fantastic, it was right in China town and absolutely brilliant. Fair enough there was a building site right outside our window, but when your 18 floors up it really doesn't matter.
I and my 6 mth old at the time used our singapore stopover tickets for free boat trips and night time safaris.

HOWEVER, I might just mention RAFFLES and Singapore Slings.!!!!!!!!

I'd always thought than when in Singapore buy a "Sling". So I went to Raffles Long Bar and ordered a Sling!!!!! $20 sing dollars!!!!
Now bearing in mind that £50 had bought me $121 that told me that the drink i had just bought cost nigh on £10 - £12 !!!!
And to top it off it looked like a Strawberry milkshake with a pineapple on the glass and tasted goddamn awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BUT i made sure i drunk every last drop!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 9:35 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brisbec
I was in Singapore for a stopover in Jan 2001. We got the Hotel Furama for £25 a night which i thought was fantastic, it was right in China town and absolutely brilliant. Fair enough there was a building site right outside our window, but when your 18 floors up it really doesn't matter.
I and my 6 mth old at the time used our singapore stopover tickets for free boat trips and night time safaris.

HOWEVER, I might just mention RAFFLES and Singapore Slings.!!!!!!!!

I'd always thought than when in Singapore buy a "Sling". So I went to Raffles Long Bar and ordered a Sling!!!!! $20 sing dollars!!!!
Now bearing in mind that £50 had bought me $121 that told me that the drink i had just bought cost nigh on £10 - £12 !!!!
And to top it off it looked like a Strawberry milkshake with a pineapple on the glass and tasted goddamn awful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BUT i made sure i drunk every last drop!!!!
Betcha only had 1 though!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:01 pm
Chillin out in WA

Originally Posted by The Don
Betcha only had 1 though!

DAMN RIGHT!!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:03 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brisbec
DAMN RIGHT!!!!!
Same here and I was trying to impress my girlfriend (long before my days of married bliss...!)

Tough call: 'Let's go and get something in the cheapie places...'
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:06 pm
Chillin out in WA

Originally Posted by The Don
Same here and I was trying to impress my girlfriend (long before my days of married bliss...!)

Tough call: 'Let's go and get something in the cheapie places...'
Kinda gets to your wallet/purse dunit!
I love Singapore and I think it's great but there may be too much influence on going to Raffles!!!

Go to Raffles people(It's lovely) but don't buy anything - unless you have lots to spare!!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2004, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by walla1
Hi

Got Dawn onto it now, I'm just sneaking onto computer!! We can get the Copthorne cat c for £150 2 rooms 2 nights and others for about same, throw in the transfers and the touristy things and you saved me a small fortune so chears bud Only thing is we have to pay £26 cancellation fee but a small price in the scheme of things.

Glad to be of assistance matey!
Just make sure you book your new hotel before you cancel the other!

I'm suprised Singapore Airlines didn't tell you about the Stopover Deal when you booked your flights with them!

Ooh just had a thought, I am right in thinking you have booked your flights with SA, otherwise the Stopover Deal thing isn't applicable!
Old Aug 21st 2004, 6:46 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

We booked over the net and got one of those electronic ticket thingies. Checked Singy site and we can get the deal you got. We just need to ring their London office when it opens at 9am today to book

In our haste on Thursday (day we got grant letter) we booked hotel through Expedia but if you book hotel direct it's cheaper. Will never book anything through them again

£169 2 nights 2 beds at any cat c hotel = you saved me about 100 english squids

Chears

Walla
Old Aug 21st 2004, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

PHIZA is an unknown quantity at this point

£169 2 nights 2 beds at any cat c hotel = you saved me about 100 english squids

Chears

Walla
Nice One!! Now make sure you spend it wisely !
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:37 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PHIZA
Nice One!! Now make sure you spend it wisely !

Phiza

All booked up now, Amara Hotel and all the freebies you got. With all that I reckon I'm gonna be saving well over that 100 squids

Walla
Old Aug 21st 2004, 7:44 pm
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light

Phiza

All booked up now, Amara Hotel and all the freebies you got. With all that I reckon I'm gonna be saving well over that 100 squids

Walla

Just a thought

Did you check the deal - that is is breckie included
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

I am in singapore at the moment, and hopefully this will be of help to you.

Taxi from Changhi airport to Clark Quay (just out of the city centre) costs $20 ish, including the $5 airport pickup surcharge. Dont be fooled by the jokers with the stand by the taxi rank who claim their $30 flat rate, with no added surcharges is a good deal.

Electrical stuff in the airport duty free is maybe 20% more than in the city. For computer stuff, head to the Funan centre (good reputation shops) or Simlin Square (maybe cheaper, but a bit more dodgy, be ready to haggle there). Simlin also has stuff like stereos, TVs DVD players etc etc.

Hawker centre food is cheap (say $5 per head tops), but these places just look like instant food poisoning! Having been here on many occasions, I am happy to report not one episode of food poisoning. The downside to the hawker centres is you just havent got a clue what it is you are eating (assuming of course you are not tempted by some of the delecacies on offer like fishhead curry, live frogs, fatty pig organ soup, goat leg tendon soupor chicken feet).

If you are on a budget, forget a night on the razz! I went out with a few expats on a beano on Friday, and it cost me over $200, and I was STILL able to walk home.

If you fancy picking up a tailored suit, then this is the place. Just walk slowly past many of the tailors in Chinatown, and they will practically drag you into their shop.

Which leads me to the TG guide for cheapskate singapore drinking....

Hang around the tailors shops, get dragged in and then play hard to get. Out will come the cans of Tiger beer. Be warned, dont show the slightest sign of weakness or otherwise you will have a tape measure in the nads before you can blink!
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 9:51 am
Keeping it fairly real

Originally Posted by Trevglas
I am in singapore at the moment, and hopefully this will be of help to you.

Taxi from Changhi airport to Clark Quay (just out of the city centre) costs $20 ish, including the $5 airport pickup surcharge. Dont be fooled by the jokers with the stand by the taxi rank who claim their $30 flat rate, with no added surcharges is a good deal.

Electrical stuff in the airport duty free is maybe 20% more than in the city. For computer stuff, head to the Funan centre (good reputation shops) or Simlin Square (maybe cheaper, but a bit more dodgy, be ready to haggle there). Simlin also has stuff like stereos, TVs DVD players etc etc.

Hawker centre food is cheap (say $5 per head tops), but these places just look like instant food poisoning! Having been here on many occasions, I am happy to report not one episode of food poisoning. The downside to the hawker centres is you just havent got a clue what it is you are eating (assuming of course you are not tempted by some of the delecacies on offer like fishhead curry, live frogs, fatty pig organ soup, goat leg tendon soupor chicken feet).

If you are on a budget, forget a night on the razz! I went out with a few expats on a beano on Friday, and it cost me over $200, and I was STILL able to walk home.

If you fancy picking up a tailored suit, then this is the place. Just walk slowly past many of the tailors in Chinatown, and they will practically drag you into their shop.

Which leads me to the TG guide for cheapskate singapore drinking....

Hang around the tailors shops, get dragged in and then play hard to get. Out will come the cans of Tiger beer. Be warned, dont show the slightest sign of weakness or otherwise you will have a tape measure in the nads before you can blink!

Chears for that TG

Will avoid a night on the razz as kids are with us, thnk god, if it's that expensive!!

Gotta try that hawker food thou, looking forward to that

Don't need a suit either but I like my gadgets so will visit all the gizmo shops.

Any off licenses. thinking bottles of vino for the hotel?

Walla
Old Aug 22nd 2004, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Pick up your wine and beer from the duty free at Changhi just after Immigration and just before the luggage carrousels. 3 cans of Tiger for $5, as compared to $7 in the downtown bars (on a good night)