British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Singapore $ how far does it stretch? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/singapore-%24-how-far-does-stretch-249898/)

walla Aug 20th 2004 7:18 am

Singapore $ how far does it stretch?

Hi All

Off to Singapore next month en route to Oz. How far does the Singy dollar stretch?

Taxis into centre from airport is my big question but also beer, vino, clothes etc etc?

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation

Walla

Don Aug 20th 2004 7:24 am

Re: Singapore $ how far does it stretch?

Originally Posted by walla1
Hi All

Off to Singapore next month en route to Oz. How far does the Singy dollar stretch?

Taxis into centre from airport is my big question but also beer, vino, clothes etc etc?

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation

Walla

Fixed reasonable fare on taxis airport-centre. Food can be as cheap as you like but eating in the restaurants of hotels a lot more of course. Booze not esp cheap esp at Long Bar. Electrical goods cheapest in the world.

mlbonner Aug 20th 2004 7:27 am

Originally Posted by The Don
Fixed reasonable fare on taxis airport-centre. Food can be as cheap as you like but eating in the restaurants of hotels a lot more of course. Booze not esp cheap esp at Long Bar. Electrical goods cheapest in the world.

I remember going (granted whilst I was at uni and on student income) and my friend and I made sure we made the most of happy hours re. beer :D There's also a great Hawkers night market, where the food is cooked in front of you, fantastic, dirt cheap and a great atmosphere also :)

nikkers Aug 20th 2004 7:28 am

Hi All

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation

Walla

I've just come back from Oz via Singapore. Found Singapore very cheap. CD's were about £6, ate at the hawker stands for £5 for two. Taxi - don't remember exactly, but it wasn't expensive.

I loved the city, it was so clean and fantastic at night with all the lights.

Enjoy

Nikki
x

ptlabs Aug 20th 2004 10:29 am

Originally Posted by nikkers
I've just come back from Oz via Singapore. Found Singapore very cheap. CD's were about £6, ate at the hawker stands for £5 for two. Taxi - don't remember exactly, but it wasn't expensive.

Taxi fares in Singapore are pretty cheap.

A 3km taxi ride in Sydney will set you back by about A$10.
In Singapore, that will cost you by about S$5.

It's roughly A$1 = S$1.25 at the moment.

Peter

PHIZA Aug 20th 2004 10:37 am

Hi All

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation

Walla

When are you there Walla? We'll be in Singapore en route to Perth, we land on the 14th and fly out on 19th of September. :)

walla Aug 20th 2004 11:18 am

Originally Posted by PHIZA
When are you there Walla? We'll be in Singapore en route to Perth, we land on the 14th and fly out on 19th of September. :)

Hi Phiza

We just miss you we fly from Heathrow 18th landing at Singy 7-45am on the 19th!!

Leave Sing for Perth on 21st. Where bouts in Perth you heading?

Walla

Amazulu Aug 20th 2004 12:15 pm

Hi All

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation

Walla

Taxis are cheap, no more than $5 (not sure about from the airport though), so we didn't bother with the metro, but I'm sure it's good. Food is cheap, Hawkers market, no more than $5 per head & good. Drinking is quite expensive, in the long bar a Singapore sling cocktailis $16!, I wouldn't mind so much, but it comes premixed from a keg, what a ripoff. Electrical goods are cheap, but not that much cheaper than UK internet prices now (we saved about £20 on a camcorder). Funan IT mall is great, 6 floors of hightech gadgets. Clothes, CDs, DVDs are all cheaper. It's a great place.

PHIZA Aug 20th 2004 1:03 pm

Hi Phiza

We just miss you we fly from Heathrow 18th landing at Singy 7-45am on the 19th!!

Leave Sing for Perth on 21st. Where bouts in Perth you heading?

Walla

We're heading down south, around the Rockingham area. :)

Where you heading?

Which hotel are you staying in, we're in the Novotel Apollo, we took advantage of the Singapore Airlines Holiday Stopover deal and got three twin rooms for 5 nights for £504. That includes free transfers from the airport and entrance to 6 local tourist attractions. :D

Wol Aug 20th 2004 1:22 pm

We leave Heathrow 22nd Sept, in SIN for a couple of nights enroute.

All above is true. You can get a minibus shuttle from the airport > town hotels but if there's 2 or more of you a taxi only costs a couple of SG$ more than tickets.

Drinking is expensive, food can be if you go to the hotel restaurants but can be any price you like elsewhere.

The MRT (Metro) is excellent value and quick & clean.

walla Aug 20th 2004 6:40 pm

We're heading down south, around the Rockingham area. :)

Where you heading?

Which hotel are you staying in, we're in the Novotel Apollo, we took advantage of the Singapore Airlines Holiday Stopover deal and got three twin rooms for 5 nights for £504. That includes free transfers from the airport and entrance to 6 local tourist attractions. :D

Hi

We are heading to Leeming in the southern suburbs.

Hotel in Singy is Pan Pacific on Raffles Boulevarde. 2 nights with 2 posh rooms (deluxe panoramic room -leisure package no less!!!) I'm from Gateshead, a bed with a sheet on is posh to me. £307 for the lot but you got a bargain there. Flights were dead reasonable thou £1665 for 4 adults. I wasn't aware that Singy Airlines had hotel offers on, damn.

Walla

walla Aug 20th 2004 7:03 pm

Phiza/ Rog

Firstly Phiza I'm gonna see if I can get that deal you got and cancel my hotel.

And to you both I just checked Singy weather for the next 10 days and it is a mirror image of what we are getting here.... thunderstorms :scared:

Any idea what the weather's supposed to be like when we are there?

Walla

PHIZA Aug 20th 2004 7:47 pm

Phiza/ Rog

Firstly Phiza I'm gonna see if I can get that deal you got and cancel my hotel.

And to you both I just checked Singy weather for the next 10 days and it is a mirror image of what we are getting here.... thunderstorms :scared:

Any idea what the weather's supposed to be like when we are there?

Walla

walla, try this link it gives you info on what the Holiday Stopover Offers. The PAn Pacific is one of their Category D Hotels and costs about £30 per person per night. Obviously this won't be the posh room you've booked but I bet it'll be pretty posh nontheless!
Click on the Singapore Stopover link on the left hand side of the page and go to rates, this lists the different hotels you can choose from. Hope this helps! :)

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app/...currentSite=uk

walla Aug 20th 2004 8:09 pm

walla, try this link it gives you info on what the Holiday Stopover Offers. The PAn Pacific is one of their Category D Hotels and costs about £30 per person per night. Obviously this won't be the posh room you've booked but I bet it'll be pretty posh nontheless!
Click on the Singapore Stopover link on the left hand side of the page and go to rates, this lists the different hotels you can choose from. Hope this helps! :)

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/app/...currentSite=uk

Hi

Got Dawn onto it now, I'm just sneaking onto computer!! We can get the Copthorne cat c for £150 2 rooms 2 nights and others for about same, throw in the transfers and the touristy things and you saved me a small fortune so chears bud :) Only thing is we have to pay £26 cancellation fee but a small price in the scheme of things.

More money for this :beer:

Will let you know when we book but I think we need to phone hotels, will check.

Ta again this forum saves you money!!

Walla

helinuk Aug 20th 2004 8:24 pm

Hi

Got Dawn onto it now, I'm just sneaking onto computer!! We can get the Copthorne cat c for £150 2 rooms 2 nights and others for about same, throw in the transfers and the touristy things and you saved me a small fortune so chears bud :) Only thing is we have to pay £26 cancellation fee but a small price in the scheme of things.

More money for this :beer:

Will let you know when we book but I think we need to phone hotels, will check.

Ta again this forum saves you money!!

Walla

think in terms of $15-17 for a taxi from airport to hotel. have you booked copthorne(if that is Dunearn road its not so central) ? if not try the City Bayview hotel on Bencoolen .http://www.bayviewintl.com/index.cfm...FAE38E0B89971C
its even cheaper, offers breakfast included and more central nearer a MRT.
Mrt to city is $1.65.
H.