British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Simultainious applications a good idea? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/simultainious-applications-good-idea-584054/)

curioustom Jan 13th 2009 8:56 pm

Simultainious applications a good idea?

Hi everyone

I am looking to move to either Canada or Australia. A large part of the decision would be based on where jobs would be available. As I don't know what the situation might be like when any application came to fruition would it be worth applying to both countries and then cancelling one of the applications at a later date when is clear where more jobs seem to be available.

Is this a good idea, or do the costs (both time and financial) make it not worth while?

Dorothy Jan 13th 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Simultainious applications a good idea?

I think you should decide where you want to live before putting in multiple applications. Canada is a very different country to Australia. What exactly is it you're looking for might be a place to start.

curioustom Jan 13th 2009 9:58 pm

Hello Dorothy, thanks for responding.

Exactly what I'm looking for is to experience living in a different culture. I have looked at both Canada and Australia and they both appeal for different reasons.

However, I do not think I would be able to successfully intergrate into any new culture if I were unable to find work. Due to the state of the global economy there is unlikely to be an abundance of new jobs anytime soon. All I am seeking to do is to hedge my bets until it becomes clearer as to where I might find work.

Pollyana Jan 14th 2009 4:31 am

Originally Posted by curioustom (Post 7164094)
Hello Dorothy, thanks for responding.

Exactly what I'm looking for is to experience living in a different culture. I have looked at both Canada and Australia and they both appeal for different reasons.

However, I do not think I would be able to successfully intergrate into any new culture if I were unable to find work. Due to the state of the global economy there is unlikely to be an abundance of new jobs anytime soon. All I am seeking to do is to hedge my bets until it becomes clearer as to where I might find work.

Applying to Canada takes about 5 years, fromn what I have read on here. APplying to Aus takes a year or more now on general skills visas in many cases. No-one is going to be able to tell you what the job market will be like by the time your visa is granted, especially in the current climate.

Nick11 Jan 14th 2009 6:30 am

We did :)
Applied to canada 2004, as we couldn't get into oz as I was the main applicant but only worked part time.
Got offered a long maternity leave full time teaching job and visited oz. Fell in love with it. Applied to oz jan 2007. Cancelled application to canada (even got a full refund). Arrived here June 2007.
Luv it here. No regrets.