Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Simple question…to buy a new laptop in UK or Oz?

Simple question…to buy a new laptop in UK or Oz?

Old Jul 16th 2010, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

anngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really niceanngroovy is just really nice
Default Simple question…to buy a new laptop in UK or Oz?

Buy a new laptop in UK before leaving
Or buy it in Oz?

Mine has just about had it now!

If I buy it in oz….will the wi-fi connection stuff work the same over in oz?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

mark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the roughmark1963 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Simple question…to buy a new laptop in UK or Oz?

Hi Ann,

Yes they will work the same in oz..and uk..I just bought a new dell to take with me...there are some good deals here at the moment.
And warranty is world wide !!

cheers
Mark
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

A similar question was asked not one week ago

Clicky
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Coryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura aboutCoryate has a spectacular aura about

The only difference will be the plug on the end of the power supply, and the keyboard.
You can use a converter for the P/S and plug an Australian USB keyboard to talk to the locals when you get there.
You might also consider a USB cooler, with all the fans etc to put the laptop on when you use it.

But WIFI, LAN,Modem are all the same. Dell have worldwide warrenty, as does Apple.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

there are some good deals over here at the moment too..
personally i would wait till you get here.. as mentioned earlier, keyboard is different, and plug/charger. have a look at a few of the websites below to get some idea of price
jb hifi
harvey norman
dick smith or any online stores
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:44 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

generally the high street stores are very expensive.

Look at places like mln when you get here.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Yes. You should buy a new laptop in UK or Oz. Happy to help.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

uk, although you will have to check your waranty if something goes wrong you might not be covered
Old Jul 18th 2010, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sa2uk2oz
there are some good deals over here at the moment too..
personally i would wait till you get here.. as mentioned earlier, keyboard is different, and plug/charger. have a look at a few of the websites below to get some idea of price
jb hifi
harvey norman
dick smith or any online stores
I just looked at the MacBook in the UK it is 849 pounds if you can get the VAT back that brings it down to 700 then convert at 1.76 exchange rate. In Sydney the local Apple store has them priced at $1249 so doesn't seem worth it. Not sure if the same applies to PC's
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:20 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anngroovy
Buy a new laptop in UK before leaving
Or buy it in Oz?

Mine has just about had it now!

If I buy it in oz….will the wi-fi connection stuff work the same over in oz?
Bought mine on Ebay.com.au, Dell Studio, brand new with full years support, saved $350 off of shop price!! Pays to search!!

Also, if you are stopping off enroute, consider Duty Free!!!!! Singapore is good for that!
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Do a search. Whats wrong with some people? Lazy lazy lazy
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:44 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can Some one explain bulk billing to me?

Originally Posted by itxrd
Do a search
Its no wonder people are put off posting here. It actually isn't always best to do a search - a lot of info on here changes rapidly so you have to be sure that the threads you find are current info, also even the site owners admit there are frequently problems with the search function.

I've been answering questions on here for years, and the same questions come up again and again, but to the OP they are always a new problem. Patience and understanding go a long way........especially when someone is relatively new around here - and possibly new to forums in general!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 19th 2010 at 7:46 am. Reason: copied from another thread, but equally relevant here
Old Jul 19th 2010, 7:49 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
Do a search. Whats wrong with some people? Lazy lazy lazy
Got any insightful opinions about bulk billing?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sfr09
I just looked at the MacBook in the UK it is 849 pounds if you can get the VAT back that brings it down to 700 then convert at 1.76 exchange rate. In Sydney the local Apple store has them priced at $1249 so doesn't seem worth it. Not sure if the same applies to PC's
I managed to get the new (2.4ghz) macbook from PC World for £802 about a month ago. They price matched Dixons who are selling it for £802!!

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/apple-m...86970-pdt.html

You get the same Apple warranty buying it from PC World/Dixons, but save £47. You can buy the Applecare package with it at time of purchase if you wish. I didn't. I'll see if I live to regret that one day. It comes with a worldwide warranty, and I bought here in UK, as it worked out cheaper than when I got to Oz.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

We have just returned to aus after two and a half months in UK looked at replacing oh Apple and decided same price here and we get the warranty here so not worth it.

In fact most things were a similar price when we convert the money.

Global village same stuff everywhere these days.

The web seems to give the best deals. Bought my Dell off the web.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.