Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SIM Only Internet for my Unlocked Dongle

SIM Only Internet for my Unlocked Dongle

Old May 8th 2012, 12:03 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light
Default SIM Only Internet for my Unlocked Dongle

Hi,

We land late evening, so i want to be online more or less when we land, straight away. So can i call into a 7/11 or some kind of shop which hopefully sells SIM cards for unlocked dongles, fully charged up with credit. So you just pop the SIM into your dongle and you are online till the credit runs out?

Any advice on the one to go for, the best value, or the best reception in my area, i will be in the New Farm/Kangaroo Point area of CBD. I do not wan to rely on a wireless public reception. Prefer my own service.

Thanks.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SIM Only Internet for my Unlocked Dongle

Originally Posted by carling black label
Hi,

We land late evening, so i want to be online more or less when we land, straight away. So can i call into a 7/11 or some kind of shop which hopefully sells SIM cards for unlocked dongles, fully charged up with credit. So you just pop the SIM into your dongle and you are online till the credit runs out?

Any advice on the one to go for, the best value, or the best reception in my area, i will be in the New Farm/Kangaroo Point area of CBD. I do not wan to rely on a wireless public reception. Prefer my own service.

Thanks.
Never found a dongle that works cross-countries, I'd be interested to know if there is one. I currently have two Telstra ones for Aus, and a vodafone one for the UK and the sims aren't interchangeable. Even the vodafone Aus one I used to have wouldn't allow a sim swap with vodafone UK. Be better off getting an Aus dongle I reckon
Old May 8th 2012, 12:31 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Never found a dongle that works cross-countries, I'd be interested to know if there is one. I currently have two Telstra ones for Aus, and a vodafone one for the UK and the sims aren't interchangeable. Even the vodafone Aus one I used to have wouldn't allow a sim swap with vodafone UK. Be better off getting an Aus dongle I reckon
Polly, got an Australian Vodafone dongle, from my previous expadition over there..... Works fine in the UK..........I unlocked it, works with all service providers...in the UK.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huawei-K37...item2c650a1877

£15.00 not bad....Exactly the same as mine, cost me $50 bucks....

http://3g-modem.wetpaint.com/page/Hu...5-HV+(Vodafone)

Huawei K3765-HV (Vodafone) manufacturer: Huawei
model: K3765-HV
interface: USB 2.0 (A plug)
chipset: ?
GSM frequency bands: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
UMTS frequency bands: 900, 2100
HSDPA: 7,2 MBit/s
HSUPA: 5,76 MBit/s
EDGE: 236,8 KBit/s
GPRS: 57,6 KBit/s
CSD: ?
connector for ext. antenna: + but inaccessible
connector type: CRC9
internal antenna diversity: +
voice telephony: +
NAND-flashmemory: +
microSD-drive: + (up to 8GB)
rebranded versions: -

Thats the one, works anywhere in the world, great dongle, had it for two years now.......

Register and unlock here....

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/archive/t-1038401.html

or here

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f88/

Last edited by carling black label; May 8th 2012 at 12:34 pm.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:41 pm
Banned

BTW.....

The Australian Vodafone SIM card which came with my Australian Vodafone dongle, well it has expired, not been charged up with credit for over two years, so cannot just add credit to it.....
Old May 8th 2012, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

You cant buy sims in Aus like you can in the UK anymore I dont think.

You have to sign up and give your details even for pay as you go..

No doubt im wrong on that but its what iv found.
Old May 8th 2012, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
You cant buy sims in Aus like you can in the UK anymore I dont think.

You have to sign up and give your details even for pay as you go..

No doubt im wrong on that but its what iv found.
You are correct, I've had to buy one recently for a visitor and had to give all sorts of details/ID at the phone shop.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:33 pm
Banned

http://www.touristsim.com/en/product...FYpjfAodQRkGYw

Thoughts?

http://www.touristsim.com/en/product...pack-4-gb.html

Australian Data Pack - 4 GB
4 GB Data Pack (Optional):

A Large data pack which gives you 4 GB of data for 30 days. SIM card not included.

An excellent data compliment to your Prepaid AS YOU GO service for SmartPhone users or if you plan to use your iPhone as a modem for your PC. The regular Prepaid AS YOU GO airtime/refill credit comes with data, however at a cost of 5c per MB.

Also perfect, as pure mobile broadband for unlocked tablets. dongles, USB Sticks, Pocket Hotspots, MIFIs or other unlocked 3G devices.

Accessing the net a few times a day probably doesn't warrant buying this data pack. If you, however, plan to use online maps, apps or upload photos and use all the benefits of travelling with your SmartPhone, we recommend the Data Pack. Read our Data Usage Guide to help you gauge your approx. data usage. You may also find our SmartPhone Tips for Travellers helpful for reducing data costs.

Also take a look at our Data Pack section in the FAQ -Australia.

Data Pack Validity: 30 days
£19.80
Old May 8th 2012, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PENNY45
You are correct, I've had to buy one recently for a visitor and had to give all sorts of details/ID at the phone shop.
Interesting, I bought one at my local Woollies 2 months ago and they just handed it over and charged me 2 bucks....
Old May 9th 2012, 12:06 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Few things

1) If you have a smartphone (particularly an Android) I'd investigate using it as a Wifi hotspot. That way you only have to sort out one SIM initially.

2) You have to provide proof of identity/address when you try to buy a SIM, so take the passport, and use any suitable address, they don't really care.

3) Supermarkets are the best bet for SIMs. Telstra is on a weird frequency, so your stuff may well not work with it. It does have the best country coverage though. Optus is normal, but does stupid things with the broadband accounting such that you get screwed. I went with Virgin, and Amaysim gets good reviews (but is difficult to source the SIM, Dick Smiths is best). Both camp on the Optus network.

4) You might like to think about getting a dongle/SIM and prepaid bandwidth at the same time. The supermarkets seem to do regular deals and you know its going to work.

5) Vodafone stinks, and their 900Mhz network is closing/closed down. Since your dongle from them worked in the UK, it looks like its 3G is 900Mhz. So you couldn't really get a vodafone SIM anyway.
Old May 9th 2012, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bumble69
Interesting, I bought one at my local Woollies 2 months ago and they just handed it over and charged me 2 bucks....
Originally Posted by GarryP
Few things

2) You have to provide proof of identity/address when you try to buy a SIM, so take the passport, and use any suitable address, they don't really care.
Who knows then? Maybe it's a vodafone requirement but the sim had to be registered in my name with proof of ID - I've bought 3 in 18 months but all from Vodafone. Just assumed would be the same everywhere.
Old May 9th 2012, 1:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bumble69
Yep. I bought a Telstra Sim pack at Coles a few weeks ago (very good deal - $10 for $30 credit and sim) and they never asked for ID, just handed it over in exchange for $10.
Old May 9th 2012, 2:38 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yep. I bought a Telstra Sim pack at Coles a few weeks ago (very good deal - $10 for $30 credit and sim) and they never asked for ID, just handed it over in exchange for $10.
Yep, they often don't bother - but it seems to be a government legal requirement. I think they don't want to do it because its a faff; I assume they just lose the paperwork.

Dumb ruling anyway, but since when has that ever stopped a government?
Old May 9th 2012, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

litepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nice

Huawei K3765-HV (Vodafone) manufacturer: Huawei
model: K3765-HV
interface: USB 2.0 (A plug)
chipset: ?
GSM frequency bands: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
UMTS frequency bands: 900, 2100
HSDPA: 7,2 MBit/s
HSUPA: 5,76 MBit/s
EDGE: 236,8 KBit/s
GPRS: 57,6 KBit/s
CSD: ?
connector for ext. antenna: + but inaccessible
connector type: CRC9
internal antenna diversity: +
voice telephony: +
NAND-flashmemory: +
microSD-drive: + (up to 8GB)
rebranded versions: -

Thats the one, works anywhere in the world, great dongle, had it for two years now.......

Register and unlock here....

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/archive/t-1038401.html

or here

http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f88/

Utms 900 and 2100 are the Optus 3G frequencies so you'd need to get a sim for their network to get the best speeds. I am on tpg which uses the Optus network. Only prob is, you can order online but have to wait a couple of days for the sim to arrive in the post.
Old May 9th 2012, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Makes sure you have a data plan. I used a $50 vodaphone sim card in an hour online..

Also... If you want broadband, dont get a usb dongle. I had a Voda dongle and got 1-1.5mb connection. Put the same sim card in a wireless hub and got 3-4mb..

Telstra is best but expensive, iv got 12gb a month with Vodaphone for $40 a month..
Old May 9th 2012, 10:30 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks.
Go to bed, get up the next morning and buy a 4G dongle.
Blistering speed, you won't look back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.