British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   SILVER TROWEL TRADE TRAINING perth, cannington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/silver-trowel-trade-training-perth-cannington-515790/)

sarahjaneb Feb 20th 2008 9:26 am

SILVER TROWEL TRADE TRAINING perth, cannington

Has anyone heard of the silver trowel college in cannington perth.my boyfriend is supposed to be doing a bricklaying course there and we just want to check that the college does in fact exist and that the amount of money theyve said hel be earning whilst studying is correct as he will have to support us both and more importantly our young son.Any information would be great.
Thankyou.

Dorothy Feb 20th 2008 9:46 am

Re: SILVER TROWEL TRADE TRAINING perth, cannington

Originally Posted by sarahjaneb (Post 5958119)
Has anyone heard of the silver trowel college in cannington perth.my boyfriend is supposed to be doing a bricklaying course there and we just want to check that the college does in fact exist and that the amount of money theyve said hel be earning whilst studying is correct as he will have to support us both and more importantly our young son.Any information would be great.
Thankyou.

Take a look here at their website.

sarahjaneb Feb 20th 2008 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 5958218)
Take a look here at their website.

Thankyou Dorothy!

JPSUPERHOOPER Feb 20th 2008 4:09 pm

Thankyou.

i hope so, i am booked for august!

scotty 71 Feb 20th 2008 5:29 pm

Thankyou.

Hiya Sarah,:)

yes there seems to be quite a few on here who are/will be using Silver Trowel, my husband will be applying for the plastering course as soon as we have sold our house. We aren't brave enough to apply before hand due to the "slow" housing market, plus I don't really want to find myself in a position where I feel we should drop the price of the house due to lack of time.

I would be very interested to hear off anyone who has used or is currently with Silver Trowel though.

Regards, Gilly & Scott.

sarahjaneb Feb 22nd 2008 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by scotty 71 (Post 5960028)
Hiya Sarah,:)

yes there seems to be quite a few on here who are/will be using Silver Trowel, my husband will be applying for the plastering course as soon as we have sold our house. We aren't brave enough to apply before hand due to the "slow" housing market, plus I don't really want to find myself in a position where I feel we should drop the price of the house due to lack of time.

I would be very interested to hear off anyone who has used or is currently with Silver Trowel though.

Regards, Gilly & Scott.

oh thats good. Thankyou for the website-very helpful.Have you all heard then that the course structure has changed so that you have to go to college a couple of days EVERY week now.Weve been told that even though this has changed we willl still be able to live comfortably but we are worried we wont be able to (we have no house to sell so wont be able to live off of the equity if things get tight).. though i guess its too late now as weve already payed! Do any of you have children aswel?...and if any of you have lived in perth before do you think the money will be enough to survive on?

scotty 71 Feb 22nd 2008 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by sarahjaneb (Post 5968731)
oh thats good. Thankyou for the website-very helpful.Have you all heard then that the course structure has changed so that you have to go to college a couple of days EVERY week now.Weve been told that even though this has changed we willl still be able to live comfortably but we are worried we wont be able to (we have no house to sell so wont be able to live off of the equity if things get tight).. though i guess its too late now as weve already payed! Do any of you have children aswel?...and if any of you have lived in perth before do you think the money will be enough to survive on?

Hiya again Sarah:)

So basically what you are saying is that you plan to live off your income that is earned from you both working 20 hours a week? That is if you both get a job and also with that you hope to rent somewhere plus pay for food, bills, insurance ect on top?
If that is the case i'd say you are being pretty optimistic, I am not saying it can't be done, I wouldn't know, but I can imagine it would be a bit of a struggle especially if like us you have children.

If our house sells for the price we hope we will have SOME money to take with us and that will pay for our rent for two years, plus school fees, maybe a bit left over if we are lucky.
It isn't ideal at all really, we would have loved just to be able to go and use the money we make from this house, which we put a lot of hard work blood sweat and tears into and put it down on another house.
But at the moment it's not looking like we have much of choice if we want to be in OZ this year or early next.

Can I ask you a few questions? Hope you don't mind;

Who told you, you would be able to live comfortable on an income from 40 hours work a week?

When is your OH due to start the course?

Have you found an area you would like to live in yet?

Are you using an agent?

Thanks, regards, Gilly

quoll Feb 22nd 2008 7:04 pm

I guess those of you with children of school age know that you will have to factor in school fees of about $10,000 pa (give or take) per child when you come on a student visa, dont you? Just something else to factor into your budget calculations.

sarahjaneb Feb 22nd 2008 8:41 pm

hello again.well weve been told to take £10000 to cover the cost of a car, a few months rent and the two week gap in which my OH will be just at college so not working and that the money he should earn after those 2 weeks will EASILY be enough for the three of us to live on (my son is only one so no school fees necessary) -this sounded a little optimistic to us which is why we started this thread but having never lived or worked in Australia before we just have to take there word for it and hope for the best as this appears to be the only way for us to get out there.I understand what you mean by it not being ideal-weve saved up all this money and it will all be gone probably before weve been there a month and then if your right it sounds like its going to be a bit of a struggle for us!

The man from the agent we are using (and that told us about the course at silver trowel) told us about the pay.Ive looked on here and some people have said that bricklayers and plasterers earn as much as the agent says
and others say that the building industry is in decline!!??I suppose its one of those things that you wont know until you get there in which case itl be too late!

My OH is due to start the course on the 10th of August but if we dont manage to save up enough money it will most likely be postponed to March 2009.

The agent i mentioned earlier has lived in Perth and has given us a list of nice areas around the college. A few he named were Victoria Park, Midland, Manning& Wilson and he also said that he wouldnt go any further south than Cannington. But this is obviously his taste so it might not suit yours or ours (Id personally like to live a little further out of the city but we will obviously have to stay close to the college until my OH has finnished the course) Have you ever been to Perth before? If so Id love to know of any areas you might recommend!

The agent we are going through is called ****************.Are you going through them aswel?If not how did you here about the course?Im starting to worry about it all now.The reason we are going is for a better life for our son but im not sure anymore if its going to be just as much of a struggle in australia as it is in england!!!

Sarah

sarahjaneb Feb 22nd 2008 8:43 pm

sorry i dont know how to write the agent down it keeps coming up in stars?

quoll Feb 22nd 2008 9:26 pm

I would think (off the top of my head) that it would be rather a stretch to expect your DH to earn enough with just 20 hours a week for you to manage EASILY. Especially as he wont be qualified in the trade. You may want to get some idea about what the hourly rate is for someone who is just learning the trade can expect and also how available is the work - does the course arrange for work placements or are you out on your own competing with those who may be fully qualified?

Just found this site which gives the median hourly rates for jobs - this is the brickie, the plasterer rates were just a little bit less. http://www.payscale.com/research/AU/...er/Hourly_Rate

I think you would be struggling on those rates.

Dorothy Feb 22nd 2008 9:47 pm

I think you will struggle to survive on only 20 hours per week pay. Whether you have school fees or not, you can probably not expect to earn enough in a part time job to live on. It's probably pretty unlikely that your husband will be working as a bricklayer and getting paid bricklayer wages while he is in school. It's also unlikely that you'll be earning much of a wage if you are limited to 20 hours per week. Also, if you are working you will have to factor in day care costs for your baby. Again, not cheap.
There are a couple of threads on here about cost of living, so take a look at them. In the meantime, look at housing costs here or here for an idea how much your rent will be. To give you an idea of other costs, petrol is currently at about $1.35/L and our grocery bill is about $300/wk. Mind you, we have 2 children, so yours would be probably $100 less.

Pollyana Feb 22nd 2008 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by sarahjaneb (Post 5970598)
sorry i dont know how to write the agent down it keeps coming up in stars?

The name of the migration agencies is appearing in *** because they have specifcally requested in the past that their name should not appear on the BE website.

scotty 71 Feb 24th 2008 12:30 pm

[QUOTE=sarahjaneb;5970592]hello again.well weve been told to take £10000 to cover the cost of a car, a few months rent and the two week gap in which my OH will be just at college so not working and that the money he should earn after those 2 weeks will EASILY be enough for the three of us to live on (my son is only one so no school fees necessary) -this sounded a little optimistic to us which is why we started this thread but having never lived or worked in Australia before we just have to take there word for it and hope for the best as this appears to be the only way for us to get out there.I understand what you mean by it not being ideal-weve saved up all this money and it will all be gone probably before weve been there a month and then if your right it sounds like its going to be a bit of a struggle for us!

I feel awful now, hope I didn't come across too pessimistic I was just
trying to put things into perspective for you and probably for myself too, I am far from the expert, it's just the beginning for us too, in fact we haven't even booked on a course yet OR got an agent, but we have spoke to a couple of agents who have given us an insight to the whole process of the student visa route.

At least you don't have school fees to pay, I suppose that's one thing less to worry about and after reading a few posts on here about people who have gone out there and made it work with little money, then I'm sure it can be done, I think its all down to the individual and how bad they want it and how hard they are prepared to work to get it!

The man from the agent we are using (and that told us about the course at silver trowel) told us about the pay.Ive looked on here and some people have said that bricklayers and plasterers earn as much as the agent says
and others say that the building industry is in decline!!??I suppose its one of those things that you wont know until you get there in which case itl be too
late!

Yeah, again I think this is all down to the individual too, i.e. what contacts you make when you are out there ect.

My OH is due to start the course on the 10th of August but if we dont manage to save up enough money it will most likely be postponed to March 2009.

The agent i mentioned earlier has lived in Perth and has given us a list of nice areas around the college. A few he named were Victoria Park, Midland, Manning& Wilson and he also said that he wouldnt go any further south than Cannington. But this is obviously his taste so it might not suit yours or ours (Id personally like to live a little further out of the city but we will obviously have to stay close to the college until my OH has finnished the course) Have you ever been to Perth before? If so Id love to know of any areas you might recommend!

:lol::lol:
Sarah we haven't even been to Australia never mind Perth! And we aren't planning on going on a reccie either, personally I can't see the point in wasting a few grand for us to come back and say yeah we want to move there, when we know that already.
We are under no illusions that Australia is perfect, we know it has it's fair share of problems just like anywhere else, and we know it will be hard going at first but that's the risk we are willing to take, as far as we are concerned we have nothing to lose, even if we only get two years out of it (but I am hoping we will get PR) then at least we have experienced some Ozzy wildlife, the great outdoors which all my family love and a bit of sunshine!
I have quite a lot of family out there, cousins, aunts and uncles so it would be great to spend some time with them also, although unfortunately for us they aren't in perth.

The agent we are going through is called ****************.Are you going through them aswel?If not how did you here about the course?Im starting to worry about it all now.The reason we are going is for a better life for our son but im not sure anymore if its going to be just as much of a struggle in australia as it is in england!!!

I got your PM, sent you one back. We also heard about the course through an agent.
And it's a bit late to start worrying now, you have the course booked girl! Hey you can't back out now!!:lol: You will be fine I'm sure, where there's a will there's a way eh? At least that's what I keep telling myself anyway!:eek:

Regards Gilly
;)

Shaun200 Mar 20th 2008 7:58 pm

Hi everyone.

It's good to see other people looking into this. My OH is thinking of doing it but we will have to sell our house here and use the equity in it to get by if worse case scenario we can't get work.

It's such a huge decision for us. We have 2 kids, one school age so will have to find fees too !

If anyone can give us any advice would be appreciated

:thumbsup: