Reload this Page >

Silver Trowel Trade Trading

Silver Trowel Trade Trading

Old Jan 25th 2008, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Shaun200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Silver Trowel Trade Trading

Hi
Anyone know anything about this company?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

1Ben is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Silver Trowel Trade Trading

Yeah I had a look into it,and stopped when I saw the course is nearly $30,000

I may of read it wrong,but I think the jist of it is a two year course in Perth doing Bricklaying,plastering,roofing and your qualified to Australian standard after the two years.

If only they still done the £10 ticket to Oz......
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

gisp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Silver Trowel Trade Trading

Looks to me like they're following the TAFE route of setting up certificate III courses tailored towards international students looking to immigrate to Australia, seeing as they are CRICOS registered and the courses are all longer than or equal to 94 weeks.

$30,000 is a lot of money, but worth it if you think that this could be an investment into your future. As discussed on here many times the study to PR (permanent residency) route is expensive and risky, but if you have no other choices then it is the only option so there is no comparison. Afterall you're paying the same for an education and a future what most people would spend on something like a car.

Be wary of any facility offering courses like this should you consider enrolling in any of them. There are strict requirements which have to be met by the education provider in order for the course to comply with immigration standards. Not every course is suitable. Also with trade type certificate III courses you also need some work experience to satisfy TRA (Trades Recognition Australia - the trade skills assesing authority in Australia) that you are a competant tradesman to cert III standards. Currenty this is 900 hours.

Another daunting realitiy is that the working conditions of vocational training student visas is extremely restricted. You can only work 20 hours per week during term time, but unlimited hours in your holidays from college. Note that this covers paid and unpaid work. You can't work for free to get trade experience and in a supermarket to earn money for example if the total hours are more than 20 per week during term time. This is where most people fall down, as you can't earn enough to support all of your living costs and get experience at the same time, at least initially when you are "green" in respect to your trade skills and are unable to find paid employment in your trade sector. While many people break the visa rules with working condtitions and have no trouble there have been examples of people being caught for doing so and ejected from the country. Basically wasting a lot of their time and money.

There is an upside in that there is an additional visa avaiable after your studies which essentially gives you an open work permit for 18 months, which gives you enough time to accumulate any experience needed for immigration purposes.

My advice would be to read and learn everything you can about schools, courses, immigration etc.

I myself am a mechanic out here doing the same thing, getting a cert III so I can immigrate permanently. The only difference I have over most people is that I was a full time motorcycle mechanic back in the UK so I know the trade very well making it less of a risky option for me personally. If you need any info i'm happy to help.

Good luck.