Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SILVER TROWEL PERTH 2008

SILVER TROWEL PERTH 2008

Old Aug 3rd 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice
Default Re: SILVER TROWEL PERTH 2008

I often read posts on brickies as we are about to move to Perth and OH is a brickie.
We are very worried about the lack of work and the construction industry saturated with brickies but to be honest nobody mentions that it is the same, if not worse, here in the U.K. - can't believe people would want to come back at the moment.
Most of the big Construction Companies have laid off most of their staff. Persimmon, Wainhomes, Bovis just a few who have announced they are stuggling. Now the market is saturated with brickies trying to get work and undercutting each other, lots are now taking any type of job or travelling just to get a wage. Most sites here in the north west have dried up and Companies offering all sorts of incentives to buy.
I am a water engineer and most of our work is dependant on the construction industry, we have very little work now compared with a year ago and are having to move staff to other parts of the business to keep them employed.
We are too far into the visa process and spent too much money to consider staying in the U.K., our view now is might as well come to Australia and at least enjoy the outdoor lifestyle for our kids than be stuck here with no work and rubbish weather. (I know it is not always sunny in Perth).
Think it is a difficult time for anyone in the construction industry regardless of location.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura about

Read somwere could have been PIP or PP cant remember, cant find
on BE. states that there is a flood of Brickies on track for Perth in the next
twelve months , seems stupid if any truth in blokes averaging three
days a week why bring in more, maybe the Government need to look
at quotas on certain trades.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

metaler is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Im new here and already bored with this thread, SILVER TROWEL PERTH 2008 is what I thought it was, not bitch, moan, sulk, bricky bricky bricky bricky, I don't know how we're going to cope

People come on this thread for help and to talk about this course, not to have their dreams shot down before they have even contacted Silver Trowel?

There are 4,5,6, people regularly on this thread talking about theres no work, theres no money, I have to work in these conditions, I have to work in those conditions? Make your mind up work or no work?

MAYBE spend less time at your computer and...............YOU KNOW THE REST

Also start a new thread: SILVER TROWEL PERTH 2008 thinking about Bricklaying? *.*.*.* I.T

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 24th 2008 at 12:22 am. Reason: language
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by metaler
Hi
Im new here and already bored with this thread, SILVER TROWEL PERTH 2008 is what I thought it was, not bitch, moan, sulk, bricky bricky bricky bricky, I don't know how we're going to cope

People come on this thread for help and to talk about this course, not to have their dreams shot down before they have even contacted Silver Trowel?

There are 4,5,6, people regularly on this thread talking about theres no work, theres no money, I have to work in these conditions, I have to work in those conditions? Make your mind up work or no work?

Also start a new thread: SILVER TROWEL PERTH 2008 thinking about Bricklaying? F.U.C.K I.T
Wow, that's some 1st post Champ.

Great way to introduce yourself.

Last edited by Amazulu; Oct 24th 2008 at 12:25 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 11:14 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by munch
I often read posts on brickies as we are about to move to Perth and OH is a brickie.
We are very worried about the lack of work and the construction industry saturated with brickies but to be honest nobody mentions that it is the same, if not worse, here in the U.K. - can't believe people would want to come back at the moment.
Most of the big Construction Companies have laid off most of their staff. Persimmon, Wainhomes, Bovis just a few who have announced they are stuggling. Now the market is saturated with brickies trying to get work and undercutting each other, lots are now taking any type of job or travelling just to get a wage. Most sites here in the north west have dried up and Companies offering all sorts of incentives to buy.
I am a water engineer and most of our work is dependant on the construction industry, we have very little work now compared with a year ago and are having to move staff to other parts of the business to keep them employed.
We are too far into the visa process and spent too much money to consider staying in the U.K., our view now is might as well come to Australia and at least enjoy the outdoor lifestyle for our kids than be stuck here with no work and rubbish weather. (I know it is not always sunny in Perth).
Think it is a difficult time for anyone in the construction industry regardless of location.
The domestic house building industry is slowing, but the commercial building industry is still very busy. Some new projects are under threat due to the inability to raise finance, but loads of others are going ahead. I read recently that there are 130 projects underway or about to start in the city. Within a 5 minute walk of where I'm sitting right now, there are probably in excess of 20 apartment blocks being built. Add to this all the construction that is going on in the suburbs. I think you should be able to get some kind of consrtruction work.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 12:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Also start a new thread: SILVER TROWEL PERTH 2008 thinking about Bricklaying? *.*.*.*. I.T
If you are bored with a thread, don't read it. The forum is here to enable everyone to share their experiences, so that those looking to move here have some knowledge in advance.

I would suggest that if you wish to be welcomed by other posters as a member of the forum you take a slightly more friendly approach
Old Oct 24th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Also start a new thread: SILVER TROWEL PERTH 2008 thinking about Bricklaying? F.U.C.K I.T

whether you like it or not these are real people talking about their own experiences and challenges. Everybody has a different story to tell and if you read the beginning of the thread my own is there. As it happens my son is at Silver Trowel (started in August) on the brickie course and is loving it. My hubbie is also a brickie and is very impressed at how much our son has already been taught. It is a very well set up college and they certainly know what they are on about. Everything is backed up by classroom testing and practical assessments. The only downfall is the cost, but there's nothing we can do about that.
I don't think you've done yourself any favours by being so negative and you have contributed a post which is of absolutely no help to anyone.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

Hi

Also start a new thread: SILVER TROWEL PERTH 2008 thinking about Bricklaying? *.*.*.* I.T
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Quinn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Streaks
whether you like it or not these are real people talking about their own experiences and challenges. Everybody has a different story to tell and if you read the beginning of the thread my own is there. As it happens my son is at Silver Trowel (started in August) on the brickie course and is loving it. My hubbie is also a brickie and is very impressed at how much our son has already been taught. It is a very well set up college and they certainly know what they are on about. Everything is backed up by classroom testing and practical assessments. The only downfall is the cost, but there's nothing we can do about that.
I don't think you've done yourself any favours by being so negative and you have contributed a post which is of absolutely no help to anyone.
This thread may be dead....thanks to metalers gem!....but it really did what it was intended to do....kick some reality into my day dreaming butt regarding changing moving to Oz, retraining as a Bricklayer and earning $100k a year.

So, being only at the considering stage of contacting Silver Trowel.....and pretty sure they'll paint a "rosey" picture.....i'm wondering if memebers like KK, Aston and you Streaks would actually recommend giving it a shot - the slowdown could well be over by the time i get there and do two years worth of training?

Any thoughts??
Old Dec 4th 2008, 6:37 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinn
This thread may be dead....thanks to metalers gem!....but it really did what it was intended to do....kick some reality into my day dreaming butt regarding changing moving to Oz, retraining as a Bricklayer and earning $100k a year.

So, being only at the considering stage of contacting Silver Trowel.....and pretty sure they'll paint a "rosey" picture.....i'm wondering if memebers like KK, Aston and you Streaks would actually recommend giving it a shot - the slowdown could well be over by the time i get there and do two years worth of training?

Any thoughts??
hi quinn ,ofcousrs it is worth giving it a shot .The positive side of it is if things dont quiet work out then stay for a few years and get your passport .I have often toand froed between aussie and the uk for work .
Inregard to the 100 a year ,well to be blunt absolutely noway on wages ,wages have dropped to 250-240 a day on wages and if working for yourself you should be aiming for a figure of 400 a day ,at that figure the 100 a year looks achievable but with loss of time and job delays and enforced holidays then somewhere between 70000 to 80000 is more realistic .
As much as it gets cold in the uk in the winter and damp too ,the heat and the flys here can be just as frustrating believe me .Its not an easy game where ever you are but on a purely physical side i think working in the uk is far easier ,but thats my opinion and that may not count for much .Good luck to you and your decision .
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts??
Hi Quinn,
I think the $100k a year is not realistic if you are gonna be working the sites
or working for a general builder but $70,000-$80,000 certainly is. The Silver
Trowel have contacts that they can put you in touch with to gain employment whilst on the course (my son didn't need to use them as he works with his dad) Aston Man earns alot more but his job is working in the
cradles on the big buildings so alot more dangerous. Being a bricklayer, working on the new builds isn't your only option but you will need to find out where your preference lies. As for the Silver Trowel I think they are doing a brill job but my son is only 3 and a half months into his course so my opinion may change if things go pear shaped I would say give it a go but be prepared that it will cost you, but if its what you want for your future go for it - good luck
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:01 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Sydney, and melbourne

Seriously both had mass stabbings in the past two weeks, one party was 4 people, one nightclub was 5, but see Vashs law previous post, so we dont count them
Come one it wasn't a stabbing

They were trying to uncork a screw top winebottle and it broke
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:53 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Any thoughts??
quinn,mate honestly i dont know a single thing about silver trowell,except i know streaks,she is a very honest person and if you need to know anything regarding them,shes your lady.

what ever you decied to do good luck to you..only you know you own ability/capabilities(i also know i cant spell)

as i tell my young ens,you can do anything if you put your mind to it..

good luck

ast

Last edited by aston man; Jan 9th 2009 at 2:10 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Silver Trowel are an RTO (Registered Training Organisation). They are considered as important as TAFE (college) in WA.

WA apprentices in the bricklayer/plastering trade are trained usually by Silver Trowel or TAFE. Many employers prefer their apprentices to attend Silver Trowel over TAFE. (Don't ask me why - that's their choice).

I work for the department of education here in WA as a field officer looking after construction apprentices and have so far not heard anything negative about Silver Trowel within the apprenticeship courses.

I have not had any feedback from immigrants doing visa courses though (yet).

Just wanted to add to the thread that Silver Trowel are a legitimate training company recognised by WA department of education. Training delivered by ST - along with on the job training = trade certificate.

Hope this helps.

p.s. without trying to state the obvious ~ the downturn in the industry is hitting hard and apprentices are being laid off every day due to "lack of work". Jobs are not plentiful ~ if you are lucky and just happen to be in the right place at the right time ~ who knows?? Other than that I hope you know someone in the industry willing to give you a job.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

Hi, I am at silver trowel and have been since august, its a nice place but the courses are getting packed out.

I wouldnt do bricklaying now, plastering is what I do now, jobs seem to be around despite what people are saying in the plastering area anyway, no idea about bricklaying but for some reason everyone comes to be a brickie.

They have started floor and wall tiling and are starting carpentry as well so I heard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.