Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Silly question of the week.

Silly question of the week.

Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold
Default Silly question of the week.

Sorry if i am being really blonde
After being here in Oz on a PR visa for 2 years hubby and i went for our citizenship interview, (no problems there.)
Since then we have received a letter saying that we had been approved etc, and that we need to Pledge our commitment (again no problem.)

But heres the bit i dont quite understand..............
Once you become an Australian citizen, your permanent resident visa will cease. An Australian passport is preferred and most conclusive proof of Australian citizenship for entry to Australia.
My current Uk passport runs until 2013, so where does that leave me if i want to visit the Uk if my PR visa ceases the day i pledge citizenship? Am i making any sense here
Thinking purely financially here having to buy 4 Aussie passports when my Uk ones are still valid until 2013.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:13 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Silly question of the week.

i don't get ya??? you'll have both passports. Thats good isn't it
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

mum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to allmum01753 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Desire
Sorry if i am being really blonde
After being here in Oz on a PR visa for 2 years hubby and i went for our citizenship interview, (no problems there.)
Since then we have received a letter saying that we had been approved etc, and that we need to Pledge our commitment (again no problem.)

But heres the bit i dont quite understand..............
Once you become an Australian citizen, your permanent resident visa will cease. An Australian passport is preferred and most conclusive proof of Australian citizenship for entry to Australia.
My current Uk passport runs until 2013, so where does that leave me if i want to visit the Uk if my PR visa ceases the day i pledge citizenship? Am i making any sense here
Thinking purely financially here having to buy 4 Aussie passports when my Uk ones are still valid until 2013.
i think you will have to have both untill your uk one runs out or you can renew that to i think if you want to.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:17 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

...Thinking purely financially here having to buy 4 Aussie passports when my Uk ones are still valid until 2013.
You'll have dual nationality though... Use your UK ones when visiting the UK or the EU, the Aussie ones when coming back here or going to NZ, and have a free pick when going elsewhere...!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

So regardless i shall need to but 4 new Aussie Passports
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Once you're a citizen your visa is no longer relevant. You are, in Australian eyes, in the same position as someone in the Uk who decides to go to Ibiza for a week - you need a passport to get back in!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou i understand sorry for being so blonde
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Gentlemen prefer you <g>
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:20 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Gentlemen prefer you <g>
Not so! Brunettes are all the rage you know!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:14 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Not so! Brunettes are all the rage you know!
No-one ever accused me of being up to date or in fashion though
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyyt is a glorious beacon of light

the blondness got me as well today
Johnnyyt