Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

My sister has just visited us here in Brisbane.

She and her husband joined a world cruise in Southampton and are leaving it in Sydney to fly to NZ to see their son.

They have been on the boat for about 45 days and it cost them around £4000 each.

They do not have one of the top class cabins but it is pretty good and all the boat's activities are open to them. the price includes all food and entertainment.

they have visited some great places on the way.

If you also want a holiday it seems a great way to travel.

they will fly back to the UK from NZ but the boat carries on to adelaide and then perth then South Africa.

G
Old Feb 19th 2009, 10:12 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

Originally Posted by Becky723359
Hi

For anybody that can this is an amasing way to travel the world we've been gone almost 2 weeks and I love every minute of it.

Roll on the next 11 weeks and Oz as the dream at the end of it.

Happy Dayz.

Goodbye for Istanbul

Becky
sounds fantastic, enjoy every minute

my OH is obsessed with driving as far as possible, he talks of driving to South Africa then flying from there.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

It's been at the back of my mind to do as much overland as poss to the UK. Get the Eurostar to Brussels, get train on to Berlin, on to Moscow, on into China then down the Asian coast to Bangkok, KL and Singapore. Don't know after that - whether I could get a ship.

Looks fun, although I wouldn't want to do the UK - Singapore bit all in one go!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda Jayne is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.seat61.com/Australia-overland.htm

This web site looks interesting
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

mavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grayling
My sister has just visited us here in Brisbane.

She and her husband joined a world cruise in Southampton and are leaving it in Sydney to fly to NZ to see their son.

They have been on the boat for about 45 days and it cost them around £4000 each.

They do not have one of the top class cabins but it is pretty good and all the boat's activities are open to them. the price includes all food and entertainment.

they have visited some great places on the way.

If you also want a holiday it seems a great way to travel.

they will fly back to the UK from NZ but the boat carries on to adelaide and then perth then South Africa.

G

That sounds fab. You don't happen to know which cruise line do you?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 6:19 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
We took the plane but I sooooo would have liked to do this:

http://www.oz-bus.com/

My wife wasnt keen about our 9 nine year old doing this trip though

Now that is a trip i do fancy taking !! What an eyeopener that would be and real great experience for all involved.
Think you would have to get on a trip with a load of like minded people though otherwise it would be a nightmare

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Charlie Boorman managed it fine.....
Yeah he did but what you didn't see there was all the big moneythat was spent behind the scenes for 'the show'

Originally Posted by jond
When it was time to come home along with his wife they decided to cycle it it took 11 months.

Ouch
Now that would be some serious saddle bag sores !!

Dougie
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 8:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mavine1
That sounds fab. You don't happen to know which cruise line do you?
Fred Olsen.....they are a pretty well known shipping line....Norwegian I think.

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/

They were on "The Black watch"

G
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the Black Watch from our office window this morning. Thought it was an unusual name for a cruise ship - now I know who it belongs to. Looked very nice - I'm always envious of those lucky people sailing away whilst I'm stuck in Lemming Land (at work).

Think it sailed this afternoon. I heard three long hoots so assume it was reversing away from its berth.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by NickyC

Think it sailed this afternoon. I heard three long hoots so assume it was reversing away from its berth.
Yes....it will be on it's way to Adelaide then Albany and then on to South Africa.

My sister got off in Sydney to fly to NZ.

G