Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:57 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

Greek trampsteamer around SA

Before family I was going to sail from Miami through canal across to Easter Island and a few other pacific islands.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

ClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really nice
Default Re: Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

With the cruises, the P&O ones that I saw were about $11,000 one way.

The OZ bus looks great and would be good for me and my husband, but my Aussie friend was thinking of doing it returning from London to Aus, I spoke to her last night and she said that that it is a bit for back packers. I couldn’t imagine my mum on it, she would be telling everyone off for drinking too much, swearing etc!!!

I will tell Dad to look at the fear of Flying Website – but he is so stubborn.

As for riding bikes – ummmmm no! lol.

The cruisepeople website the how to get to OZ one looks good.

Thank you all. I will let you know if they decide on a way to get here!
Claire
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:34 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Have a look at this

www.cruisepeople.co.uk but the only problem is you cant travel over 78 and under 11 years old.

We enquired for my Dad sounds really good, but hes 79 so no good to us
I just checked their web-site and there is a section for UK to New Zealand but there isn't any mention of any age restriction that I could see. I've just e-mailed them for more information, as I quite fancy the idea of a cruise to get to Oz with the wife and 2 kids, so I'll post here the results if and when I get any.

- CDM
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
I just checked their web-site and there is a section for UK to New Zealand but there isn't any mention of any age restriction that I could see. I've just e-mailed them for more information, as I quite fancy the idea of a cruise to get to Oz with the wife and 2 kids, so I'll post here the results if and when I get any.

- CDM
Yeh when it comes back they said summin about not having a proper doctor for older people or summin - cant remember now, let us know how you get on.

Kath
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:37 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Yeh when it comes back they said summin about not having a proper doctor for older people or summin - cant remember now, let us know how you get on.

Kath
I did see on another web-site that freighter crossings often have age-restrictions for passengers due to the lack of an on-board doctor but I only saw an upper age-restriction.

- CDM
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
We took the plane but I sooooo would have liked to do this:

http://www.oz-bus.com/

My wife wasnt keen about our 9 nine year old doing this trip though
This looks absolutely amazing If we get a good price for our house and have a bit more spare cash (cos it's £4k each) then we will have a good hard think about doing this. What an experience it would be!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:40 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

Well, I did get a reply back from CruisePeople but I haven't yet got any specific details from them.

However, I've also done some separate research on this subject this morning and there do seem to be cruise options to get you from the UK to Australia.

For a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children - all sharing a single cabin), the all-inclusive price I was quoted for a 2-month cruise starting January 2010 comes in a either £13,500 or £16,200 (depending on the type of cabin).

The thing with cruises is that you have to figure approximately as much again on top for all the additional costs that could be involved - drinks, day trips, excursions, etc. Obviously, you can save money by reducing those activities but everything will add up over the course of a couple of months.

The next best option I could find was for around £6,500 for a cruise from Greece to Singapore. Obviously, we would have to get from the UK to Greece and again from Singapore to Australia on our own backs.

Still researching ...

- CDM
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Becky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to all

Oh and I are doing the Oz-Bus 8th Feb - omg 4 weeks on sunday

We decided to go for it after considering 1st class on place then thinking I'd rather see some of the countries you would otherwise fly over.

The ticket price isn't all you need to look at though I'm afraid. V expensive but hopefully worth every penny.

Last day of work tomorrow for at least 4 months - SHAME

Roll on 5pm tomorrow.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Becky723359

We decided to go for it after considering 1st class on place then thinking I'd rather see some of the countries you would otherwise fly over.

The ticket price isn't all you need to look at though I'm afraid. V expensive but hopefully worth every penny.

Roll on 5pm tomorrow.
oh wow, that is sooo exciting, I really wanted to do it when we came over, but there was no way we could justify the price and being out of work for so long. But I was smitten with the idea, if only it was cheaper. maybe we will do the return journey one of these days. I hope you keep a journal, it will such an incredible journey!!!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Roll on 5pm tomorrow.

Wow !!! how fabbie hope you have a great time!!!!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Becky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to allBecky723359 is a name known to all

Thanks, not 100% how I'm going to keep in touch yet.
Probably on Facebook and then post some links.

OH got hand over at work tomorrow morning then thats him finished as well. My god it's becoming very real.

Becky
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Roll on 5pm tomorrow.
How absolutely fantastic. I'm ever so jealous. Have an amazing time
Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:58 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

I am considering linking the flight over with our planned travels. Travel through Europe, get to Russia, fly to China then travel through parts of Asia then fly from somewhere in Asia to Aus.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

For anybody that can this is an amasing way to travel the world we've been gone almost 2 weeks and I love every minute of it.

Roll on the next 11 weeks and Oz as the dream at the end of it.

Happy Dayz.

Goodbye for Istanbul

Becky
Old Feb 19th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

The other and much cheaper option is to get some help with the fear of flying? A reputable psychologist/hypnotherapist can work wonders, and it doesn't take long. A couple of sessions.

http://www.fearfreeflying.co.uk/Hypn...rOfFlying.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.