Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

ClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really nice
Default Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

Hello

I know that this might sound silly but my parents want to come over next year and my Dad is terrified of flying. He is flown long haul before and even with the help from the doctor and relaxation pills he still gets really stressed out, I don’t want to put pressure on his heart or anything. We have looked into cruises that P&O do, they are 50 days from Portsmouth to Aus, look fantastic but would work out extremely expensive.

I know that he could manage a shorter flight from Asia somewhere (I know, I have told them to stop over on the way). My mum said that when her Kiwi friend went back to live in New Zealand about 13 years ago she went on a cargo boat!

Has anyone been on the Trans-Siberian and have any experiences of this please?

Thank you

Claire
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:34 pm
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all
Default Re: Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

Originally Posted by ClairePM
Hello

I know that this might sound silly but my parents want to come over next year and my Dad is terrified of flying. He is flown long haul before and even with the help from the doctor and relaxation pills he still gets really stressed out, I don’t want to put pressure on his heart or anything. We have looked into cruises that P&O do, they are 50 days from Portsmouth to Aus, look fantastic but would work out extremely expensive.

I know that he could manage a shorter flight from Asia somewhere (I know, I have told them to stop over on the way). My mum said that when her Kiwi friend went back to live in New Zealand about 13 years ago she went on a cargo boat!

Has anyone been on the Trans-Siberian and have any experiences of this please?

Thank you

Claire

Hi,

My uncle is also terrified of flying! And I'm emigrating later on this month so we were discussing it a bit, we saw some cruises that were about £2,000 but included a fairly long stop-over in sydney or somewhere at the end of it. Which I didn't think was too bad to get there and stay for a while, plus te actual cruise, as it can be £1,000 for a flight anyway.

It may be that you or he just need to keep looking out for them to see what is cheapest and when etc?

lerato
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Silly question but has anyone taking a different route to Aus rather than flying?

I know people who have cruised over, but it obviously takes a while and is more costly, the other option is to break the journey up? get a round the world ticket and stop off on the way (they are very good value) and get some valium! Good luck! (I hate flying too but rely on meds its just a necessary evil!)
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Graham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to allGraham and Maria is a name known to all

We took the plane but I sooooo would have liked to do this:

http://www.oz-bus.com/

My wife wasnt keen about our 9 nine year old doing this trip though
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

I was on a course recently and got talking to an aussie who was a teacher in Bedfordshire. When it was time to come home along with his wife they decided to cycle it it took 11 months.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:49 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Try this online course - it may help

http://www.fearofflyinghelp.com/intro.shtml
Old Jan 6th 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Graham and Maria
We took the plane but I sooooo would have liked to do this:

http://www.oz-bus.com/

My wife wasnt keen about our 9 nine year old doing this trip though
Wow! that looks brill
Old Jan 7th 2009, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

I have taken the Trans-Siberian.
(but it was almost 20 years ago)

It is an interesting trip, better in Northern winter, great views, comfortable train compartments, worth doing.

You can take train to Moscow, than Trans-Siberian to Beijing, than train to Hong Kong and fly from there, which is much shorter flight than from Europe.

The issue with doing it nowadays is that you have to go through Moscow, Beijing and Hong Kong and these are rather expensive places to stay.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:22 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I have done china by train, not good if you have a phobia of dirty toilets (craponseatophobia)

Originally Posted by Mipik
I have taken the Trans-Siberian.
(but it was almost 20 years ago)

It is an interesting trip, better in Northern winter, great views, comfortable train compartments, worth doing.

You can take train to Moscow, than Trans-Siberian to Beijing, than train to Hong Kong and fly from there, which is much shorter flight than from Europe.

The issue with doing it nowadays is that you have to go through Moscow, Beijing and Hong Kong and these are rather expensive places to stay.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

derf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nicederf is just really nice

try here
http://www.seat61.com/Australia-overland.htm

Thee are still several shipping companies doing UK to australia, Usualy about 44 days via panama.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

mavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud ofmavine1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lerato
Hi,

My uncle is also terrified of flying! And I'm emigrating later on this month so we were discussing it a bit, we saw some cruises that were about £2,000 but included a fairly long stop-over in sydney or somewhere at the end of it. Which I didn't think was too bad to get there and stay for a while, plus te actual cruise, as it can be £1,000 for a flight anyway.

It may be that you or he just need to keep looking out for them to see what is cheapest and when etc?

lerato

Hi there, I just wondered if you could post the details of the cruise you mentioned? I also have family who won't fly...Also most of the cruises I have looked at are a round trip...do you know how it works? Can you just get off and then buy a return ticket for a few weeks later? Thnx
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:27 am
UK-Syd Feb 2009 = HAPPY!

lerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to alllerato is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mavine1
Hi there, I just wondered if you could post the details of the cruise you mentioned? I also have family who won't fly...Also most of the cruises I have looked at are a round trip...do you know how it works? Can you just get off and then buy a return ticket for a few weeks later? Thnx
Sorry, I don't have the details else I would have done - we were just browsing on his PC and in brochures, papers etc. I can't even remember what site or brochure it was in. I'm sure it was a special reduced deal tho...

lerato
Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:34 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Charlie Boorman managed it fine.....
Old Jan 7th 2009, 1:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mavine1
Some relocation cruises are cheap. Ocean Village II is due to sail from the UK to Brisbane later this year to become the Pacific Jewel. They may not offer a cruise the whole way here depending on where the refit is being done. ie Singapore or Brisbane drydock. You can buy segments on round the world cruises - you don't have to do the whole thing.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this

www.cruisepeople.co.uk but the only problem is you cant travel over 78 and under 11 years old.

We enquired for my Dad sounds really good, but hes 79 so no good to us

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.