Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Silly Question About Electricity in Oz....

Silly Question About Electricity in Oz....

Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light
Default Silly Question About Electricity in Oz....

...and Hong Kong and the USA!

Working on the basis that there's no such thing as a silly question, can a suitably qualified and experienced electrician please solve this dilemma for me?:

We're due to go out to Hong Kong, Oz and the USA for a holiday later in the year and have loads of electrical gadgetry that will need charging up. We're talking:

Ipods
Digital cameras
Video camera
AA Battery chargers
Laptop
etc

Without having to buy a travel adaptor for each country for each gadget that requires charging, what is the simplest way to get and keep everything charged up without having wires and adaptors all over the place

A mate has suggested getting an 8 way 'gang' (power block), plugging this into a single travel adaptor for the particular country we're in, and then plugging that into the wall socket. But I have my doubts. I think he might have been drunk when he offered this advice!

At the end of the day, we want to minimise the amount of clutter we take but for us, the above items are essential

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

BD
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Silly Question About Electricity in Oz....

Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler
...and Hong Kong and the USA!

Working on the basis that there's no such thing as a silly question, can a suitably qualified and experienced electrician please solve this dilemma for me?:

We're due to go out to Hong Kong, Oz and the USA for a holiday later in the year and have loads of electrical gadgetry that will need charging up. We're talking:

Ipods
Digital cameras
Video camera
AA Battery chargers
Laptop
etc

Without having to buy a travel adaptor for each country for each gadget that requires charging, what is the simplest way to get and keep everything charged up without having wires and adaptors all over the place

A mate has suggested getting an 8 way 'gang' (power block), plugging this into a single travel adaptor for the particular country we're in, and then plugging that into the wall socket. But I have my doubts. I think he might have been drunk when he offered this advice!

At the end of the day, we want to minimise the amount of clutter we take but for us, the above items are essential

Any advice appreciated

Cheers

BD

Yes that would work in Aus
HK uses UK style plugs
US uses 110V, so you have a problem there
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

BobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of lightBobbyDazzler is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Quokka
US uses 110V, so you have a problem there
Is that because we have 240V AC in the UK (excuse my ignorance)

Can you suggest a way round this problem in the USA?

Thanks

BD
Old Jan 16th 2006, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Arizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond reputeArizona Wurzel has a reputation beyond repute

Is that because we have 240V AC in the UK (excuse my ignorance)

Can you suggest a way round this problem in the USA?

Thanks

BD
If you have a Radio Shack store near you they sell an adapter that fits plugs just about anywhere in the world.They cost here in USA $18 to $25
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Polyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud ofPolyphemus has much to be proud of

Adaptors only fit the plugs.

You may also need a transformer (sadly much more expensive)

Check to see if items are rated 110-240v, if so this means the existing transformer can change 110 or 240v AC to 'x' volts DC, and you only need the adaptor.

However also check whether you will need to 'up' the amperage of the fuse in the UK plug (lower voltage,higher current (amps) gives same power)

Also, dep where you are staying you may find the local hotels carry transformers or have various power points in reception to charge from. Our Mexican hotel did, they run 110v as per US. Suspect US may not be as geared up for foreign power needs, they are the super-power after all
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:45 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I would be surprised if most of the things mentioned *don't* have universal voltage inputs from 100V - 240V: just look on the charger or whatever.

A voltage adaptor only costs a few pounds anyway - just don't use it on anything taking any real power such as a hairdryer!

Any shop sells *plug* adapters, which is a different thing altogether.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I would be surprised if most of the things mentioned *don't* have universal voltage inputs from 100V - 240V: just look on the charger or whatever.

A voltage adaptor only costs a few pounds anyway - just don't use it on anything taking any real power such as a hairdryer!

Any shop sells *plug* adapters, which is a different thing altogether.
Thanks to all for your replies

Maybe I should have paid more attention in my physics classes when I was younger?!

Cheers

BD
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:14 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should have paid more attention in my physics classes when I was younger?!

Cheers

BD
Well worth a look are these guys ......
Old Jan 17th 2006, 8:24 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

BD
The only thing you *really* need to know is that, if you grab a handful of bare wires in *any* country, it makes your eyes water!