Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sightseeing for the visitors to Perth? North or South??

Sightseeing for the visitors to Perth? North or South??

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sightseeing for the visitors to Perth? North or South??

Our first lot of Visitors are arriving later this year, then it opens the floodgates

Can anyone recommend what their 'visitors/family/friends' really enjoyed doing in and around Perth.

We loved Dunsborough/Margaret River so will send them off there for a couple of nights. Bt what about up North? I know we would love to go a long way up, but time may not permit our family..........?

Would love some ideas. We've only been here 3 months and haven't really been doing the 'tourist' thing.

Sorry if this has been asked before. If anyone has a link to another thread then I would be very grateful.

Mrs J
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:01 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sightseeing for the visitors to Perth? North or South??

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Can anyone recommend what their 'visitors/family/friends' really enjoyed doing in and around Perth.
Mrs J
We've had 5 or 6 different sets of guests come over in the past few years, everyones enjoyed doing the trip down the swan river (or vice versa) on the
boat where you get the commentary (get out the front and enjoy the view)
Kings Park is nice to walk around with good views etc (picnic opportunity)
Rottnest can be ok (we hired some Kyaks there which was really good) try to avoid it when the schools have broken up.
Caversham Wildlife Park, always a good excuse to head in to the swan valley for some wine/beer/food as its just around the corner
Margaret River etc have always gone down well.
Eating and drinking out in Freo and Subi seem fairly popular.
Going to the beach.
I havent personally been but a few guests have been up to Ningaloo Reef and said it was excellent, others have done Broome which was also good.

There's heaps more that other will think of.
Steve
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

I know it's only a 'half a day' thing, but you could visit AQWA at Hillarys, it's beautiful... You've probably already been as you only live along the road, but if you haven't I would definitely recommend it.... www.aqwa.com.au
Plus you can push your favourite rels in the tank and they can see the sharks up close and personal

Then go along the Harbour and have your lunch or whatever, there's quite alot to do, I really love it there, it's really nice.... Just avoid the 'Spiritual Healing Clinic' sometimes held there

Also, the Dolphin Swim Tour at Rockingham, you get picked up at Perth City Bus Station and everything is done for you, and you get a sandwich, what more do you want... It's $150 per person, but you can pay just $60 and do the Dolphin watch... www.dolphins.com.au

and Perth Zoo www.perthzoo.wa.gov.au which is even open xmas day!

I want to do the Prison Tour, has anyone done that?
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:33 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeybob
I want to do the Prison Tour, has anyone done that?
Oh yes, absolutely brilliant.

I've done the day tour and the night tour. My advice - do the night tour, it's bl**dy terrifying.. :scared: .
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by renth
Oh yes, absolutely brilliant.

I've done the day tour and the night tour. My advice - do the night tour, it's bl**dy terrifying.. :scared: .
My mate says you have to paddle in a boat, is this true or is she just winding me up? And why was it so terrifying?????????????? I'm all excited now! Give me all the gen..... can you take kids or is it not advisable? Questions, questions.... bet you wish you hadn't replied...
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 2:50 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeybob
My mate says you have to paddle in a boat, is this true or is she just winding me up? And why was it so terrifying?????????????? I'm all excited now! Give me all the gen..... can you take kids or is it not advisable? Questions, questions.... bet you wish you hadn't replied...
The boat tour is a new one, I've not done that but it sounds good - you go into all the tunnels under the prison.

On the night time tour you are told to "expect the unexpected" I'm not going to spoil any surprises but I wouldn't take small kids, or anyone with a heart condition...
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renth
The boat tour is a new one, I've not done that but it sounds good - you go into all the tunnels under the prison.

On the night time tour you are told to "expect the unexpected" I'm not going to spoil any surprises but I wouldn't take small kids, or anyone with a heart condition...
Don't think we'll do the night time tour then, unfortunately, kids would probably pass out quietly..

Please tell me it's better than York Dungeons though....

Has anyone been to Monkey Mia? My son has a book on it and it looks brilliant...
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:01 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi!

When are you planning for?

In January, we went south, because it's cooler.
Also, if you don't have that much time, there's more to see/do south, closer together. North is great too, but longer driving distances in between things. It is worth it to go sometime though, but I wouldn't go in Dec/Jan/Feb! If going north I would go to Nambung National Park (pinnacles), Geraldton, Kalbarri, Shark Bay(shell beach, monkey mia, etc), and maybe further to Exmouth etc.

On our trip in January (10 days), we did:
Bunbury(friends there, but went to see the dolphins, and went to Forrest Beach near Capel), Busselton, Dunsborough/Yallingup/Grace Town, Margaret River (1 night), Augusta(one night), Bridgetown(1 night), Walpole(2 nights), Albany (2 nights), and drove back up via Albany hwy, about 4 hours.

Here's a whole thing I've done on a trip south for friends, who had already 'done' Margaret river way, so this is more for Bridgetown, Walpole, Albany.
First normal sized town after Bunbury is Donnybrook(this is if you go
south inland, not along the coast to Busselton). Just before you enter the
town, there's a turn off for the 'Big apple'. Can't rememeber if you can go in
it or not(don't think so), it's been years..., but might be funny for kids.

Then you've got Balingup, where you could have a 'magic mushroom pie'(or
any other sort of homemade pie ), there's also some other stuff down there.

Then Bridgetown(where I lived from 92 -96) :
http://www.bridgetown.wa.gov.au/tourism
In Bridgetown 'centre' you could go to Pip's Pottery. Then a little further into town there's The Cidery(you can eat there too).
If you've got a decent map, you might be able to find 'Sutton's Lookout' too. From that hill, you look into the beautiful valley where we had our
house(just out of town).
After Bridgetown you come to Manjimup. Not much there. Just south of Manjimup is the Diamond Tree.
http://www.southernforests.com.au/pr...ing.asp?id=305
Very similar to the Gloucester Tree in Pemberton, one of the 3 trees that were used to spot Bush fires.

On the way to Walpole there's also a few nice stops.
Both are dirt roads, about 8km each way to get to each.
I think you pass Fernhook Falls first, to the left. It's part of a
national park, can't think of the name... You can do a small walk there. It
should
look good now, with all the rain we've had!

Then later on(or earlier on), there's a turnoff to the right, to
Mandalay Beach. I think it's 10kms, which might be a bit far for 'just a beach',
but it is a nice beach etc. (no town or anything though)

Around Walpole there's heaps. http://www.walpole.org.au/
Just south is the Giant Tingle Tree.
http://walpole.southernforests.com.a...ting.asp?id=72
Then further down is the Valley of the Giants.
http://www.calm.wa.gov.au/tourism/va...he_giants.html
And a little bit further than that(you're halfway to Denmark(http://www.denmarkvisitorcentre.com.au/ ) by now...) is William
Bay.
There is Green Pool and Elephant Rocks. Very, very nice spots. http://www.calm.wa.gov.au/national_p...nth/william_ba
y.html

If you make it down further to Albany, there's heaps to do there too:
http://www.albanytourist.com.au/pages.asp?code=40
You've got the Gap, and Natural Bridge etc. And Whale World.
And two people Bay, with the gorgeous 'Little Beach'.

Some idea's if you'd like to stay in Bridgetown:
http://members.westnet.com.au/bridgetowncc/ (cottages next door to our
old house, a bit older, but nice area and lots of animals.)

http://www.sunnyhurstchalets.com.au/ (up the road from the country
cottages, nice view, a bit newer(built by my dad in 1995 or so). Also lots of animals, and next door is Sunnyhurst Winery(at the house our friends used to live in)

In Walpole we've always stayed at Rest Point Holiday Park, which is a
very nicely located caravan park, with on site vans and 'apartements'(not
very fancy ones, but good enough for us, luxury compared to on site vans). Don't have their own website though,...
http://www.walpole.org.au/restpoint.html
Don't really know anything else personally in Walpole, but there is heaps http://www.walpole.org.au/Stay.htm

Have fun planning!!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Its been ages since I was in Perth (nearly 5 years :scared But one of the things I found amazing on a day trip from there was The Pinnacle Desert. Maybe beacuse I love taking photos and there was so much material but I loved it.
Went South too which was gorgeous. Oh now you've got me thinking how much I'd love to go on a little holiday west...
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 5:16 am
Nomadic Member

Rhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really niceRhia27 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

Mrs J
The dinner trip on the Swan River is lovely. Depart from Barrack street jetty cruise along the river eating and drinking and admiring the nightlights of Perth. Best done on a friday night if you want a photo of the lights.

Another good one for visitors (although prob not on a winter's day) is the swan valley wagon trail. Basically 8 people in a horse drawn wagon clip-clopping through the back lanes, stopping at vineyards, olive farms, and the chocolate factory and sampling everything along the way. Its a great day out. the website is http://www.swanvalleywa.com/

If any of your visitors like shopping, Napoleon Street in Cottesloe is lovely and has some unusual stuff. Great Kids clothes shop there as well but expensive.

Guildford is a nice place to explore and has a lot of history. Have lunch in the 1841 restaurant at the Rose & Crown.

Also New Norcia with is monastries etc is good for a day out.

As others have said, Pinnicles, freo prison & Rockingham Dolphins are all great.

A point to note about dolphins, Rock'ham Dolphins are very expensive, so if you want to save some money go to the Dolphin Centre at Bunbury, costs you $6 to get in and you can swim with the wild dolphins when they come in to shore, which they do most days. You also get 3 return tickets to come back (free) within 6 months, so if you dont see/swim with dolphins one day you get to try again and it costs nothing. Much better value than RD which is about $150 for a one off attempt. the only thing is that RD is boat based but the Dolphin Centre is beach based. However we always just take a picnic with us & sit on the beach and wait. (you can be waiting a few hours) When the dolphins come in we all dash into the water and swim out. Still a nice relaxing beach day if they dont come. Also have a dolphin "museum" there which interesting.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rhia27
The dinner trip on the Swan River is lovely. Depart from Barrack street jetty cruise along the river eating and drinking and admiring the nightlights of Perth. Best done on a friday night if you want a photo of the lights.

Another good one for visitors (although prob not on a winter's day) is the swan valley wagon trail. Basically 8 people in a horse drawn wagon clip-clopping through the back lanes, stopping at vineyards, olive farms, and the chocolate factory and sampling everything along the way. Its a great day out. the website is http://www.swanvalleywa.com/

If any of your visitors like shopping, Napoleon Street in Cottesloe is lovely and has some unusual stuff. Great Kids clothes shop there as well but expensive.

Guildford is a nice place to explore and has a lot of history. Have lunch in the 1841 restaurant at the Rose & Crown.

Also New Norcia with is monastries etc is good for a day out.

As others have said, Pinnicles, freo prison & Rockingham Dolphins are all great.

A point to note about dolphins, Rock'ham Dolphins are very expensive, so if you want to save some money go to the Dolphin Centre at Bunbury, costs you $6 to get in and you can swim with the wild dolphins when they come in to shore, which they do most days. You also get 3 return tickets to come back (free) within 6 months, so if you dont see/swim with dolphins one day you get to try again and it costs nothing. Much better value than RD which is about $150 for a one off attempt. the only thing is that RD is boat based but the Dolphin Centre is beach based. However we always just take a picnic with us & sit on the beach and wait. (you can be waiting a few hours) When the dolphins come in we all dash into the water and swim out. Still a nice relaxing beach day if they dont come. Also have a dolphin "museum" there which interesting.
Some great ideas here........pinched a few myself...anyone have a link to the Bunbury dolphins or are they just wild and you have to take 'pot-luck'
I have my rellies here in a few weeks and want to give them the time of their lives. Better win the Lotto first!!!
Anymore ideas greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 7:26 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Some great ideas here........pinched a few myself...anyone have a link to the Bunbury dolphins or are they just wild and you have to take 'pot-luck'
I have my rellies here in a few weeks and want to give them the time of their lives. Better win the Lotto first!!!
Anymore ideas greatly appreciated!
http://www.dolphindiscovery.com.au/

When we went (2nd of Jan, 8 am), there was one dolphin. Couldn't swim with it though, had to all stand in a line, couldn't go near it, just like in Monkey Mia.
THe day before we were at Forrest Beach near Capel (you can 4WD on the beach there!), a dolphin swam past! Didn't come close though, and couldn't get to it, because there were millions of little jellyfish!! (like tiny ones, we couldn't even see them when we first waded into the water(the people that dived in got stung, but didn't hurt to much)
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

We have had five lots of visitors in past year, and ventured down South ourselves and loved it, stopped at many of the places that Simone recommended on way down to Albany, also stopped at Pemberton and Denmark. Have listed some of what we have done with visitors that I can remember off top of my head, prob miss loads out...

Perth City Tram Tour
Perth Mint
Western Australian Museum (in city, lots of interactive stuff for children)
Kings Park
Aqwa and Hillary’s Boat Harbour
Whale Watching trip from Hillarys (think they run Sept -Dec), saw them close up
Perth Zoo
Swan Valley Wineries
Caversham Wildlife Park & Whiteman Park
Yanchep National park, also have Yanchep Inn there which is great old fashioned pub
Horse riding at Yanchep Stables (they also do camel riding)
Fremantle - Maritime Museum, Markets, Round House, Little Creatures brewery and loads more
C Restaurant - if you are looking for fab place to eat and treat people to views - http://www.crestaurant.com.au/
Pinnacles
Lancelin
Gingin - great pub there
SciTech (West Perth, great for children too)
Rottnest Island
Cottesloe
Hotham Valley Trains - we did trip to Pinjarra
And of course, the beaches, shopping etc etc

Our friends are up at Coral Bay at the moment, they said its great and having a fabulous time, did take about 12 hours to drive there. Really depends of who is coming as some can be higher maintenance than others!!

Hope that helps a bit!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!!!

Thankyou all so much. Really appreciate all the tips.

Keep 'em coming!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 8:50 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

The More River is a beautiful spot, its where the More River meets the sea, theres not much else there though, so dont forget the picnic and heskey. Oh its about 50/60k north of Perth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.