Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sick to the pit of my stomach...

Sick to the pit of my stomach...

Old Oct 26th 2003, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

claireg3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sick to the pit of my stomach...

Hello all,

This is just one of those posts that doesn't really say anything but just gives me an opportunity to get some stuff off my chest.

Well it looks like we have sold the house today so I am going to have to bite the bullet and tell my parents that we are definitely off - probably the first week of January. Its going to go down like a sack of sick I can tell you. They didn't think we would get a visa in the first place as "Australia are very fussy you know.."

We have spent the last 6 months or so focussing on skills assessment. visa application and then selling the house and now it is all coming to fruition it is bloody terrifying. There seems to be so much to do and no time to do it.

First things first though is going to be telling my parents:scared:

I am a mixture of excited ,relieved ,terrified, nervous and thankful that we are in the position to embark on the biggest adventure of our lives.

This forum has been a godsend as it has provided information both useful and not so useful, opinions bothpositive and negative and also makes you realise that what you are feeling through the various stages of the application process is normal and that you are not alone.

The kids are both really excited about "going to tralia on a hairyplane" personally I am terrified of 19 hours in a tin can travelling at silly speeds a long way from the ground with a 5yr old and a 3 yr old asking "are we there yet?" followed by renditions of "we are the cheeky girls"

Anybody else planning on travelling at the beginning of January?

Feeling a little better now.
Sorry for boring you rigid if you are still reading this and haven't given up yet

Claire
Old Oct 26th 2003, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Good news on the house front Claire. Best of luck when you tell your parents, no doubt it won`t be an easy thing for you to do.

Hope it all goes ok !!

footie chick
Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sick to the pit of my stomach...

The kids are both really excited about "going to tralia on a hairyplane" personally I am terrified of 19 hours in a tin can travelling at silly speeds a long way from the ground with a 5yr old and a 3 yr old asking "are we there yet?" followed by renditions of "we are the cheeky girls"

Love the quote from your kids, they speak just like mine My 4 yr old say ' we are going to stralia' nearly every day now.

I hope it all goes well with your parents, at least you are spending Christmas with them before you go. Hopefully this will make it a bit easier on them.

We are flying out on 5th Jan via the States, might see ya at the airport!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:39 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Claire..........if its any consolation my parents will prob take it as well as yours....

Your kids 'hairyplane' quote put a smile on my face........bless 'em...

Petra
Old Oct 26th 2003, 5:52 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

good luck to you all! and congratulations on the house sale.
If I remembr correctly from your previous posts this is the moment you have been dreading...I wish you all the luck in the world - I hope it goes ok for you. let us all know how the news goes down?

sue

ps my 6 yr old asked me the other day if we could get the tram to australia instead of going on a plane!! she said the fare was cheaper than the plane (she had heard me talking about the cost of the flights!)
Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by claireg3
Hello all,

This is just one of those posts that doesn't really say anything but just gives me an opportunity to get some stuff off my chest.

Well it looks like we have sold the house today so I am going to have to bite the bullet and tell my parents that we are definitely off - probably the first week of January. Its going to go down like a sack of sick I can tell you. They didn't think we would get a visa in the first place as "Australia are very fussy you know.."

We have spent the last 6 months or so focussing on skills assessment. visa application and then selling the house and now it is all coming to fruition it is bloody terrifying. There seems to be so much to do and no time to do it.

First things first though is going to be telling my parents:scared:

I am a mixture of excited ,relieved ,terrified, nervous and thankful that we are in the position to embark on the biggest adventure of our lives.

This forum has been a godsend as it has provided information both useful and not so useful, opinions bothpositive and negative and also makes you realise that what you are feeling through the various stages of the application process is normal and that you are not alone.

Feeling a little better now.
Sorry for boring you rigid if you are still reading this and haven't given up yet

Claire
Claire, this is what all the accumulation of paperwork, the forms, the meds. police checks etc were all for, dont look at it with dread mate, your'e nearly there, your new life, new adventure, what you've wished for for months, enjoy the next couple of months you have in the Uk, i wish you all the very best telling your parents, but remember why you are going to live in Stralia! for you and your cheeky girls
all the best hunny
keep smiling
rach x
Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:58 pm
WBB

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Claire, this is what all the accumulation of paperwork, the forms, the meds. police checks etc were all for, dont look at it with dread mate, your'e nearly there, your new life, new adventure, what you've wished for for months, enjoy the next couple of months you have in the Uk, i wish you all the very best telling your parents, but remember why you are going to live in Stralia! for you and your cheeky girls
all the best hunny
keep smiling
rach x
exactly, and remember australia is only a 24 hour flight away.

Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Good luck Claire...just remember...believe in yourselves and dont take on board other peoples negativity.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:01 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

God news about the house claire!

Now your journey begins! I can understand that you are anxious etc but just remember why you wanted to go in the first place. Even though I cant wait to go, when the time comes I'm sure I'm gonna feel exactly like you are now.

My 6 year old says he cant wait to go on 'holiday' forever and my 4 year old doesn't want to stay forever, he wants to come home and see his gran!

Hope everything goes well when you tell your parents

Good luck and dont forget to let us know how you are getting on

Tracey
Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just thought I'm also going to have to tell my manager that I won't be working over Christmas.

The lengths you have to go to just to get out of working yet another Christmas Eve

Claire
Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Happy hammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Claire I know how you are feeling we told the family last week all round to us for drinks and a BBQ and the announcement we were off to oz went down like a wet fart in a space suit...off to oz by the end of the year just waiting for the visa`s
Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

hang in there, Clare it will work out in the end

did the flight to Perth with a 2 year old in feb and it wasn't as bad as we thought, emirates v helpful with children as were other passengers!!

all the best

Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Happy hammer
Claire I know how you are feeling we told the family last week all round to us for drinks and a BBQ and the announcement we were off to oz went down like a wet fart in a space suit...off to oz by the end of the year just waiting for the visa`s

Thanks for that its given me a good chuckle strange images keep leaping into my mind though.

Claire
Old Oct 26th 2003, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by podgypossum
Good luck Claire...just remember...believe in yourselves and dont take on board other peoples negativity.
Hi Claire what more needs to be said other than goodluck from the Oggie's.When your parents said that the Aussies are very fussy and don't let just anybody in it's true,you must be very special people to have gained your visa's,lets hope your folks realise this
Old Oct 26th 2003, 8:52 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Have a fantastic xmas here and a wonderful new life in aus
Its your life ...your future... go for it !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.