Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sick as a Parry!!

Sick as a Parry!!

Old Mar 9th 2004, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sick as a Parry!!

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...594362309.html

Parry sick of commentator's criticism
By Martin Blake
March 10, 2004

A furious Craig Parry plans to confront American golf commentator Johnny Miller this week over his criticism of the Australian during his victory on the US PGA Tour at the weekend.

Parry, whose win in the Doral Championship in Miami netted him $1.2 million, already has complained to the US PGA Tour.

Miller, a winner of 24 PGA tour events, said during the commentary that the legendary Ben Hogan would "puke" if he saw Parry swing the club. Parry uses "Hogan" brand irons. Miller also said Parry swung like a 15-handicapper.

"I've rung up the tour today and said, 'Can we sort this out because there's no need for it,' " Parry said on television yesterday. "I mean, sure my swing mightn't be all that pretty, but I get the job done."

Parry's meeting with Miller could come as early as this week. The Sydneysider is teeing up in the Honda Classic in Palm Beach, Florida, with NBC hosting the broadcast.

"Stay tuned," said Tony Bouffler, Parry's manager. "Craig's very upset about it, and it's not easy to upset Craig. He's one of the easier-going blokes on the tour. Craig knows he doesn't have the perfect swing but this just went too far. It was almost personal."

Bouffler said Miller was hiding behind the name of Hogan, a legend of the game. "The thing is, Ben Hogan wouldn't say that. Ben Hogan was a gentleman."

The incident soured a week in which Parry won his second PGA tour event, hit the best single shot of his career - his six iron from 160 metres to the cup on the first play-off hole - and shored up a place in the Masters at Augusta National next month.

His tournament-winning shot is being talked about as one of the great shots in golf history, with the PGA's official website, pgatour.com, yesterday conducting a poll on the topic and raising the possibility that it was in fact the best single shot.

The 38-year-old needs to be ranked in the top 50 players in the world at the end of this month to guarantee his Masters spot; he soared from 80th to 35th in the rankings yesterday. Bouffler said there was "no way" Parry would drop outside the top 50 in that short a time, not even if he played poorly in his next three events - the Honda, the Bay Hill Invitational and the Players Championship.

There will be at least six Australians in the Masters, a tournament that no antipodean has won. Stuart Appleby, Robert Allenby, Stephen Leaney, Adam Scott, Parry and Nick Flanagan, who is in the field as the reigning US amateur champion, are going to Augusta.

Geoff Ogilvy (ranked 82) and Aaron Baddeley (91) are the only others with any chance.

Parry has played seven times in the Masters, missing the cut just once. His best finish was 13th in 1992, when he led into the final round only to shoot a disastrous 78.
Old Mar 9th 2004, 2:25 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sick as a Parry!!

Originally posted by OzTennis
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...594362309.html

Parry sick of commentator's criticism
By Martin Blake
March 10, 2004

A furious Craig Parry plans to confront American golf commentator Johnny Miller this week over his criticism of the Australian during his victory on the US PGA Tour at the weekend.

Parry, whose win in the Doral Championship in Miami netted him $1.2 million, already has complained to the US PGA Tour.

Miller, a winner of 24 PGA tour events, said during the commentary that the legendary Ben Hogan would "puke" if he saw Parry swing the club. Parry uses "Hogan" brand irons. Miller also said Parry swung like a 15-handicapper.

"I've rung up the tour today and said, 'Can we sort this out because there's no need for it,' " Parry said on television yesterday. "I mean, sure my swing mightn't be all that pretty, but I get the job done."

Parry's meeting with Miller could come as early as this week. The Sydneysider is teeing up in the Honda Classic in Palm Beach, Florida, with NBC hosting the broadcast.

"Stay tuned," said Tony Bouffler, Parry's manager. "Craig's very upset about it, and it's not easy to upset Craig. He's one of the easier-going blokes on the tour. Craig knows he doesn't have the perfect swing but this just went too far. It was almost personal."

Bouffler said Miller was hiding behind the name of Hogan, a legend of the game. "The thing is, Ben Hogan wouldn't say that. Ben Hogan was a gentleman."

The incident soured a week in which Parry won his second PGA tour event, hit the best single shot of his career - his six iron from 160 metres to the cup on the first play-off hole - and shored up a place in the Masters at Augusta National next month.

His tournament-winning shot is being talked about as one of the great shots in golf history, with the PGA's official website, pgatour.com, yesterday conducting a poll on the topic and raising the possibility that it was in fact the best single shot.

The 38-year-old needs to be ranked in the top 50 players in the world at the end of this month to guarantee his Masters spot; he soared from 80th to 35th in the rankings yesterday. Bouffler said there was "no way" Parry would drop outside the top 50 in that short a time, not even if he played poorly in his next three events - the Honda, the Bay Hill Invitational and the Players Championship.

There will be at least six Australians in the Masters, a tournament that no antipodean has won. Stuart Appleby, Robert Allenby, Stephen Leaney, Adam Scott, Parry and Nick Flanagan, who is in the field as the reigning US amateur champion, are going to Augusta.

Geoff Ogilvy (ranked 82) and Aaron Baddeley (91) are the only others with any chance.

Parry has played seven times in the Masters, missing the cut just once. His best finish was 13th in 1992, when he led into the final round only to shoot a disastrous 78.
i don`t think jim furyk`s swing is much more pleasing to the eye but did`nt he recently win a major ! leave em be miller